PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Ive been thinking... lets say we do draft a corner with the number 7 pick, my question is... with the huge rookie deals going on how much more money would it take to just sign Samuel instead of paying that much money to a rookie whos never played a down?

Im thinking we trade out of the #7 pick with a team in mids to early 20s get a LB like Connor and use the saved cap space to sign Samuel. What do you guys think?

Ive been thinking... lets say we do draft a corner with the number 7 pick, my question is... with the huge rookie deals going on how much more money would it take to just sign Samuel instead of paying that much money to a rookie whos never played a down?

Im thinking we trade out of the #7 pick with a team in mids to early 20s get a LB like Connor and use the saved cap space to sign Samuel. What do you guys think?
except for Connor ( to small to play ILB) not implausable at all.

I'd agree.... I can't see them taking a cb in the top 12 or so.

I only see them using the #7 if a top 3 talent falls to them. I would say 75% chance they trade down.

depends..although I agree I do not see a corner taken in the first round...I also think the deal Samuel will want will be a LOT higher..and not at all cap friendly..

Isn't the beginning of the free agency season six weeks or so before the draft? Asante will already either be a Patriot or not by the time the draft rolls around, and whether or not Belichick signs him will have no impact on whether we can save money at the draft table. He'll make an offer of what he thinks his worth is, and then it will be in Asante's hands. Just because we have (for example) 10 million dollars to spare under the cap doesn't mean it's going to go to Asante to keep him here.

I'd agree.... I can't see them taking a cb in the top 12 or so.

I only see them using the #7 if a top 3 talent falls to them. I would say 75% chance they trade down.

If they can. It takes two to trade. There really isn't anyone I see in this draft that's worth trading up for, either. Unless one of the big stars happens to drop really far (just don't see it happening), trading down for most teams in the 5-15 range probably isn't likely.

If they can. It takes two to trade. There really isn't anyone I see in this draft that's worth trading up for, either. Unless one of the big stars happens to drop really far (just don't see it happening), trading down for most teams in the 5-15 range probably isn't likely.

It's a negotiation process: if you set your sights too high, you're not going to find a taker to move up. Similarly, if you don't offer enough, you won't find somebody willing to move down. In this case, though, I think the Pats might be willing to accept a bit less than the Blessèd Draft Chart of St. James "demands," since they would also be saving ~$400K a year for every slot they move down.

[This is (sort of) what happened with the Johan Santana trade, IMO--the Twins tried so hard to push the price up that both the Skankees and the Sox decided it wasn't worth it, leaving the Mets' inferior offer as the best one available.]

It's a negotiation process: if you set your sights too high, you're not going to find a taker to move up. Similarly, if you don't offer enough, you won't find somebody willing to move down. In this case, though, I think the Pats might be willing to accept a bit less than the Blessèd Draft Chart of St. James "demands," since they would also be saving ~$400K a year for every slot they move down.

[This is (sort of) what happened with the Johan Santana trade, IMO--the Twins tried so hard to push the price up that both the Skankees and the Sox decided it wasn't worth it, leaving the Mets' inferior offer as the best one available.]

That's true, but I have a feeling that GM's are going to be wary trading with NE, considering what happened with San Fran this past year. I'm sure there's a lot of teams in the 5-15 range who want to trade down (I know the Bills do too). Doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be able to.

The chances are likely that a star will fall to NE at #7, but at this point I have a feeling that a lot of teams are resigned to just picking at their spot instead of trying to trade up. Lately it seems a lot of teams just try to trade into the late first round, where there's still a good amount of talent but it's a lot cheaper to trade for. Just my opinion, we'll see what happens on draft day.

That's true, but I have a feeling that GM's are going to be wary trading with NE, considering what happened with San Fran this past year. I'm sure there's a lot of teams in the 5-15 range who want to trade down (I know the Bills do too). Doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be able to.

Which of these two things do you think is more likely:
(1) The Patriots knew the Niners were going to cr*p the bed this season, or
(2) The Patriots got lucky?

I think the Pats got lucky. The niners were an up and coming team the year before and a lot of people felt they just needed one or two pieces to become a playoff team.

Instead their QB got hurt and the offense cratered big time. If Hill doesn't play so well for them, then we would have had the 2nd pick in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes