Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is this a "must win" game?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATSNUTme, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

Normally a must win game is one that means making the playoffs or not. However I do look at the Bills game as "must win". It is both a divisional and conference game.

Yes the Patriots can lose this one, win the next 2, and probably still make the playoffs.

So am I wrong? Is this a "must win" in your view or not?

2. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 46 / -20

You have answered your own question.

Some would say that all games are must win games.

Some would say that all division games are must min games.

Some would a say a must win game means that you must win or not win the division.

Some would say a must win game means that you must win or not be in the playoffs.
    =======================

Since we are likely to make the playoffs and still likely have a solid shot at the division even with a loss, I would say that this is NOT as must win game.

QUOTE=PATSNUTme;1647806]Normally a must win game is one that means making the playoffs or not. However I do look at the Bills game as "must win". It is both a divisional and conference game.

Yes the Patriots can lose this one, win the next 2, and probably still make the playoffs.

So am I wrong? Is this a "must win" in your view or not?[/QUOTE]

3. DaBronxPats14

DaBronxPats14 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

I know this sounds typical but I'll write it anyway, EVERY GAME from here on out is a MUST. With teams changing PO positioning faster than a model on a runway It can be over real quick. Look at us last year,11-5 with Matt C no less and Pats were left out of PO. Not only are these games vital for wins but It also boosts confidence and momentum.

4. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Maybe not a must win in terms of making the playoffs. I wonder though what is the point of making the playoffs if the Pats can't beat the Bills. This is the time of year a team needs to be finding its grove/peaking.
    I think the Pats beat the Bills.

5. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Yep, each coming week is a must win, for the next 7-8 weeks.

6. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +257 / 5 / -1

Thank you for that insight from a fan of a team that clearly knows how to peak in December. :)

But, you are right on both the points you make in your first paragraph. And, like you, I "think" the Pats beat the Bills, but I'm not certain.

You've been quiet lately. The Sanchize got your tongue?

7. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +257 / 5 / -1

Yes.

10 char

8. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +257 / 5 / -1

Plus, like, um, well, winning a game on the road would be nice...

9. Gunnails

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

===================================================

I browse the board daily, I am just having a hard time finding anything constructive to add, I generaly only post in Jet related threads and they have been few and far between as of late.
    Jets are playing there best ball of the year this month.:)

10. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yes, I think to lose would be a very bad thing for this team. If there is such a thing as must win, then this is it. If we can't beat Buffalo, then we are in poor shape.

11. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Well the next two games don't get any easier.. I would consider it a must win game because if we drop a game Miami is just sitting there waiting

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  12. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,717 / 33 / -57

No Jersey Selected

Every game from here on out is a must win. If we lose one and the Dolphins win one, the Dolphins own the tiebreaker and the division. On top of that, there would be a chance of the Pats having to go to Miami for a Wild Card game instead of the other way around, should that happen.

13. N.Eman

N.Eman Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yes its a must win, makin the playoffs is somethin important, but it all starts with your division. Gotta win first there. Look at 2008 chargers. 8-8, made the playoffs, cause they won the division. Hope we get a W in this one. Might be tough, but we shouldnt fail there.

14. Jimke

Jimke In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +70 / 4 / -2

If a 9-7 record will get the Patriots in the playoffs, it is not a must game.

If the Patriots lose to Buffalo, they will probably also lose to Houston on

the road.

15. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +257 / 5 / -1

Good to hear from you. i think of you as an oppo poster who always has something interesting to say, even though you have the misfortune to be a Jets fan.

Here's a question for you.

I live in Manhattan. I listen to people talk and get the Daily News on my doorstep everymorning. "Some of my best friends are Jets fans."

I don't sense either in people like Cimini and Myers or in my friends a real sense that they are confident that Sanchez can be the Sanchize.

You lay out sort of a Bradshaw/Iron Curtain/Franco Harris scenario for a Sanchez team; but, that's kind of easy to do and could be wishful thinking. I'm not convinced that Sanchez is a Terry Bradshaw. Bradshaw isn't the most skilled QB in Canton, but he could do what had to be done and knew what to do with Stallworth and he could manage a game...to the tune of four rings in six years...the gold standard IMHO.

I think Sanchez is still much of an unknown; what did he play, 13 college games? We knew he was injury prone even from that limited experience and now he's wearing two braces on his knees at the end of his rookie year, for cripe's sake! He doesn't seem to have good judgment and, despite coming from a school with a reputation for making its players be students as well, he doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb on the block (which, in fairness, was also said of Bradshaw--"Terry couldn't spell 'cat' if you spotted him the 'c' and the 't').

My friends here, by the second beer, will admit that they are worried and that the Jets are heading into another five year wasteland while they figure out that this was a big Johnson/Tannenbaum mistake.

What do you really think about the Sanchize?

16. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Of course it's a must win.

17. JSn

JSn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Definitely. We need to seal up the division and see if we can find a way for the Texans game to be less meaningful. Pats control their destiny and can't let that get away from them.

Also, winning a road game may add the funk-snapping I believe started around the fourth quarter of last weeks game.

18. Gunnails

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

===================================================

I am cautiously optimistic about Sanchize, I like him, I think he has "it".

I am a poor evaluator of talent and do not put a lot of stock in my football opinions especialy when it comes to the Jets, I am a Jet fan and like all the players and coaches for the Jets, even Woody and Tannenbaum, hell I supported Mangini all the way till he got the boot.:confused:

Sanchize has all the supporting cast to be successful as the Jets QB, I think he tries too hard to make plays and needs to let the game come to him. The man has skills. Given time I think Sanchez could very well lead the Jets deep next year and for years to come.:)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  19. TheComeback

TheComeback 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Agree 100%. Each of these games is a must-win. The Pats also need to prove they can win on the road, which makes this game even bigger.

20. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's a psychological must-win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.