Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is this a hate crime???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jul 17, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

Interesting case in SC, where a black man was shot in the head by a white man (friend??) and then carried out of the mobile home where it happened and dragged 10 miles on a rope behind his pickup truck.. can you be acquaintances and then engage in a hate crime aginst that person??...

Guess you have to rule out a crime of passion if you kill someone, put a rope around him and then drag him for 10 miles.. that is a lot of unresolved anger.

This presents some interesting arguments on both sides of the aisle.. if he doesn't get charged with a hate crime and is convicted of any type of murder, this dude will do some very hard time..

White Gregory Collins arrested after black Anthony Hill is shot dead and then his body dragged for 10 miles | Mail Online

A simple definition of a hate crime is:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +450 / 12 / -14

Anytime you murder someone it is a hate crime. Who cares about the race of the killer and victim. THe person who did this should get the death penalty.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,117 / 3 / -10

Is there anything to suggest that he was killed because he was "black" or is this just more "race baiting bullsh!t"

Maybe he killed him because he wouldn't have sex with him.......:confused:

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I think it was the part where he dragged him behind his pickup truck for 10 miles. Usually, that's reserved for blacks. He needs to be locked up for life, end of story.

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,117 / 3 / -10

Locked Up For Life:
    I agree all murderers should be.

Look At This One Up In Canada:
    Outrage over ruling that mom who strangled daughter won?t be jailed

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Not according to US law.

Defined in the 1999 National Crime Victim Survey, "A hate crime is a criminal offense. In the United States federal prosecution is possible for hate crimes committed on the basis of a person's race, religion, or nation origin when engaging in a federally protected activity." In 2009, the Matthew Shepard Act added perceived gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability to the federal definition, and dropped the prerequisite that the victim be engaging in a federally-protected activity.

Hate crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Murder is a crime. If a murder is committed which falls into a specific catagory it carries the additional charge of being considered a hate crime.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +450 / 12 / -14

That is a stupid law pc feel good law. Who cares whether the reason for the murder was his race. The murder was horrific and the perp should be put to death. If it were 2 white guys would it be any less horrific?

8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

While it could likely be a hate crime, there could also be another motive...adultery per this link..
    Update In South Carolina Lynching of Anthony Hill ? Hate Crime or Adultery Rage Gone Wrong? | Before It's News

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

You don't get it, do you, 13? Any law you don't like or approve of is not automatically "stupid," or "PC." There are generally reasons laws are passed - most of those reasons are sound and solid ones which people, much smarter than you or I, have studied and learned about over the years.

Adding the charge of "hate crime" to a murder is no different than any other degree of murder in any given charge. There is 1st degree murder, there is 2nd degree murder, there is murder with migating circumstances, there is "crime of passion" murder, there is murder during the commission of a felony, there is aggrivated murder, there is manslaughter, there is involuntary manslaughter - do you also think those are "PC" and/or "stupid?"

All murders are not equal. Just a few months ago you were praising some incarcerated rapist for cold-bloodedly killing another incarcerated rapist. Why did you not consider that particular murder "horrific" if all murders are equal in your eyes?

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,117 / 3 / -10

13, if it were two white guys you would never of heard about it.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

If one white killed another white, and then dragged him for 10 miles you would hear about it.. interesting this is the first I heard of this early June event.. so there goes your MSM media ignoring it bullshyt.. flush.

12. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +424 / 8 / -4

I wouldn't go so far as to make this claim, Mrs -- I think more laws are made by pols of generally average intelligence as kneejerk reactions to whatever they think their constituents might like.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +895 / 7 / -3

I might be showing my ignorance, but is dragging a body behind a truck like that, exclusive to blacks? I'm pretty sure it is something that was done to people of color, but I don't know if it was exclusive to crimes against them.

Regardless of whether it is, or isn't a hate crime, it's a henous act. It should be met with death. There is no reason for this murderer to ever see the light of day again. Hate crime, not a hate crime, what difference does it make if it were the black guy, who shot his white friend, and dragged him behind his truck? The murderer in question, should be put to death. These are the types of open and shut cases that the death penalty was made for. This case shouldn't require 10 years of appeals, and millions of dollars in legal costs. The man is caught red handed, and his crime is of the lowest common denominator. Fry him.

I think PF13's point wasn't that Hate Crime laws don't exist. It's that they are stupid, since most crimes involve hate. Is it any more egregious that a person kill me because I'm purple, when the bottom line is that a person was killed? I'm not saying that's my position, but there is some validity to that line of thinking.

One thing I don't belive in, is cop killer laws. Why is a cops life more valuable than mine? If we are going to have such things as cop killer laws, which serve to protect them more so than me, then we should also have double, or triple penalties for crime committed by members of law enforcement. Kill me it's 20 years, kill a cop it's 40 (just saying), so if I steal it's 5 years, if a cop does it should be 10. Politicians too. People entrusted with the well being if the citizentry, should be held to a higher standard.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,117 / 3 / -10

Indians used to drag White People behind their horses.

Why don't we see more American Indians in TV Commercials and sitting at tables in Sit Com restaurant scenes.

:bricks:

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Hate crimes are foolish, increase racism and other bigotry, and ignore the fact that our prison system is overloaded with victimless criminals and poor people who can't defend themselves. If we had more equity and sensibility in our justice system, we could put real criminals into jail for real hard time, and viscious murderers and pedofiles would never get paroled or see the light of day.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

Federal Hate Crimes are good for a back up, in case that the state fumbles this case.. they appear redundant and feel good, but a lot of crap can happen in state courts.

An example of the necessity of federal law is apparent in the Danziger Bridge Shootings in NOLA.. originally the officers were charged, but the case fell apart.. then the feds jumped in and after two years of investigation the 6 officers were charged..

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/07/prosecutors_will_seek_detentio.html

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +450 / 12 / -14

Sounds like double jeopardy, if this is the case shouldn't it be extended to all crimes?

Should the feds have charged OJ with a Hate crime?

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

How is it double jeopardy? The original charges were dismissed and they never stood trial for them.

Hate crimes did not not exist as a category when OJ was charged with the murder of his wife so it's a moot point, 13.

Could he have been if the charge was available? If they could prove he killed her simply because she was white, I suppose so - but that wasn't the case, was it? So once again, moot point.

Shooting or injuring someone due to racial/sexual/religious hatred is no different a type of category than something like shooting or injuring someone during the commission of a felony - it's just an added specific with which a person can be charged.

Once again, not all murders are equal. You've already established that by your support for the dude who murdered the child molester in prison.

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

You are trying too hard again, double jeopardy only applies in bringing the same charge with the same set of facts.. it works well as a safeguard, see the Danziger Bridge example.. you righties are a freaking trip, the so called party of law and order are always looking for the proverbial loophole..

OTOH there are many cases that you want to use vigilante justice or just kill people in the commission of a crime.. beware of another head explosion..

Legal Definition of Double Jeopardy