PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there really no one out there better than Hanson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanson -

12 Punts
465 yards
38.75 Yards per punt
3 Punts inside the 20
3 Touch backs
3 Fair Catches
3 Returns
30 Return yards.

BTW, the 12 punts is the 2nd fewest in the league behind Pat McAfee of the Colts.. I'm not including Hodges or Hentrich since they both play for Tennessee..

Because I don't remember, I was cooking supper. But I do remember he was asked. Sheesh.

Sorry that it was such an inconvenience to ASK what you heard... Sheesh..

The bum kicks it in the end zone EVERY TIME.

he is not bad dude. ex-pro-bowler w/ a boot. i'll take his boot w/ the occasional over shot any day versus a weak punter.

The criticism of Hanson is legitimate. You would think a professional punter would be able to dial it back a notch on the 39 instead of a guaranteed touchback giving us a net of 19 yards.

According to NFL.com, he is 31st in net punting yards coming into today at 33.3, and today he averaged 25 yards. So yeah, I see some room for improvement there.

Last edited:
The bad news is he is last in average and 32nd in net avg.

The good news is that his horrible punting is not affecting us ... yet.

NFL Stats: by Player Category

The guy frustrates me time after time, its not even close to being inside the 20, I would rather it landed on the 20 itself than he just whacked it towards the endzone

Adam Seward could kick a football to the moon. The problem is they never come back down.

He's rated like a 70 in Madden, and they're never wrong.:p

He isn't as good as Sauerbrun was for us in 06, but Todd is too busy getting arrested.

I wonder why the coaching staff doesnt find someone else since hes one of the worst in the league

[This post is neither to praise nor excoriate Hanson; it's to make a relevant point. In particular, all examples are hypothetical, and not based on any specific real punter.]

Talking about punting average, in and of itself, is actually a relative meaningless statistic. As an example, consider these two punters:

Punter A: 35-yard net average
Punter B: 40-yard net average

You'd say punter B is the better punter, yes?

But what if I told you that Punter A's punts start with the ball at the opponent's 48, while Punter B's punts start at the team's own 38?

Would you still say punter B is the better punter?

While I think net yardage has its uses—after all, if a punter simply can't move the ball 30 yards, that's worth noting—but I'd supplement it with net percentage, what percentage of the distance to the opposing goal line did the kick travel? For example, a 40-yard punt from the 50 to the opponent's 10 (80%) is better than a 40-yard punt from your own 10 to midfield (44%).

Last edited:
That's the best you can come up with? Dude, you're whining makes you seem like the moron. Not anyone else.

Maybe you should go and learn about the game instead of making things up that you clearly don't know enough about.

Hanson may not be the greatest, but there's a reason he's still on the team. When you figure that out, you might know what you are talking about.

How about: The guy has a pretty good leg, but SOMEONE has to slap him upside the head about situational football. Continually punting it from the opponents' 40 yard line and puttting it straight ahead 10 yards into the endzone is NOT using one's brain.
He does it continually (and twice today).

He has his moments, gets crazy hangtime on some punts, but the guy is very inconsistent for my liking especially at I20 punts.

I was hoping to see this thread and it symbolizes two things, the rest of the team is doing well so we have time to criticize the punter and 2 yes he has been lousy especially getting inside the 20.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a good sign when we can critize a kicker. He has his moments but the best punter we ever had was josh miller. Miller had a great leg and was great at directional punting, but he lost his job to injury. Todd Sauburn was our punter and we let miller go(high contract for a punter at the time) and then Saubrun btched his way to the Broncos the following year and we were forced to call old reliable hanson.

Not to confuse the discussion with stats, but...

Hanson ranks as follows so far this season among 32 punters:

Avg. distance: 32nd (38.8 yards)
Net. distance: 32nd (31.3 yards)
Inside 20: 25th-tied (3 punts inside 20, with 11 the high)
Touchbacks: 5th (3 so far)
Avg. Ret. Yds. per punt: 9th (10 yards)

So, that suggests Hanson isn't off to the best start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes