PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is There Anyone Hoping For a Move Up In The First Round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to give up a 2nd in this deep draft but I'd give up a 3rd for someone with top 10 athleticism like Barr or Shazier.

Me personally, I'd rather stand pat in the first, and try and move in another pick in the second. This draft is deep

If Clowney is examined and is found to have a heart, or Lava Lava Lenny drops a bit, then yes. But there don't appear to be any other game changers for whom that kind of sacrifice is worthwhile.

I think we end up trading out of the first round, adding either multiple picks in rounds 2-3 of this year's draft, OR getting a 2015 first rounder out of the deal.

I dreamed with the Pats picking at #16

Huh? Are we watching the same guys? I think Donald is one of the safer guys in the draft. He might not live up to his top 10 billing but he'll always be a contributor if only as a sub package inside guy.
My concern with Donald is against the run. He needs to improve his lower body strength to be able to stand up blockers and clog running lanes. I think he'll enter the league as a pass rusher in sub-packages but it should take at least a season (maybe two) before he's capable of becoming a three down guy.

This just in.
Coach Belichick's presser this morning on the upcoming NFL Draft.

Reporter: Coach, which positions are you looking to shore up in this year's draft?
BB: Every position is important, so we'll be looking everywhere.

Reporter: OK, but can you at least tell us whether you're going to focus on Offense or Defense?
BB: All three phases of the game are important, so we'll be looking at Defense, Offense and Special Teams.

Reporter: Is there a reason you put Defense first on your list.
BB: The order was alphabetical. I could do it backwards if you want.

Reporter: What kind of a player are you looking for?
BB: Someone who can help the team and is willing to work hard.

Reporter: Do you plan to trade up in the first round?
BB: We'll do whatever is in the best interests of the team.

Reporter: How about trading down? Are you thinking of doing that?
BB: We'll do whatever is in the best interests of the team.

Reporter: You're really not going to tell us anything at all, are you?
BB: Every position is important, so we'll be looking everywhere. All three phases of the game are important, so...

Reporter: [runs screaming from the room]

My concern with Donald is against the run. He needs to improve his lower body strength to be able to stand up blockers and clog running lanes. I think he'll enter the league as a pass rusher in sub-packages but it should take at least a season (maybe two) before he's capable of becoming a three down guy.

I curious how you can take that view on Donald but then be such a fan of Easley who is much worse against the run. Are we just talking relative value?

I have absolutely no idea what i want the Pats to do and no idea whatsoever of what they will do, I wish this was all done with two weeks ago

I curious how you can take that view on Donald but then be such a fan of Easley who is much worse against the run. Are we just talking relative value?
I don't know that Easley was much worse against the run at all. Specifically what games did you watch that gave you that impression? And yes, it's a mixture of relative value on top of level of competition.

I don't know that Easley was much worse against the run at all. Specifically what games did you watch that gave you that impression? And yes, it's a mixture of relative value on top of level of competition.

It's a general question of discipline. Easley constantly wants to win the race to become quickest upfield and doesn't play his gap. Donald is much more disciplined and controlled in the way he plays. Neither are strong but unless my requirement is solely for my DT to get upfield at any cost, I'm more comfortable with Donald on my DL. Doesn't mean I don't like Easley which I do in a sub package role, I'm just not sure about him as an every down guy.

It's a general question of discipline. Easley constantly wants to win the race to become quickest upfield and doesn't play his gap. Donald is much more disciplined and controlled in the way he plays. Neither are strong but unless my requirement is solely for my DT to get upfield at any cost, I'm more comfortable with Donald on my DL. Doesn't mean I don't like Easley which I do in a sub package role, I'm just not sure about him as an every down guy.
That sort of push upfield and winning your match-up on an explosive first step is Muschamp's style in the trenches. But yes, relative value does have a lot to do with it. I don't want Easley before the 2nd because I don't think he's capable of being a three down DL just yet. I view him primarily as a sub-rusher that can line up at the 3-tech and cause a lot of problems there, which is exactly why you would want him in the 2nd. Donald, on the other hand, has the potential to go in the top 10. If you're expending that kind of draft capital, you want him to be able to come in and not get pushed around against the run, which was his problem against more physical OG's (and not gap integrity). If Donald adds some more lower body strength and bulks up, he should be able to better take on the run. But that shouldn't be expected out of him right out of the gates.

I think we end up trading out of the first round, adding either multiple picks in rounds 2-3 of this year's draft, OR getting a 2015 first rounder out of the deal.

Unless it is the Jags, browns, or raiders pick in next year's first I don't want it, take the player's now.

If Anthony Barr slips to #20... do you trade our 1st and 3rd for him?

I would make a move for that. He has a ton of potential. Tall, long arms, decent weight (but needs to bulk more). Played RB and DE.

He could back up Chandler and Ninko. Play DE when Chandler kicks inside on 3rd downs. And eventually replace Ninko in a couple years.

Big Barr fan. I think that would be a good move.

Even though it is a 'deep' draft, if the players in the 2nd and 3rd round are not going to contribute immediately, then why bother trading back. The Pats are built to win in the next 1-2 years. If that does not happen, then you rebuild again.

Thus, I think they will trade their 2nd and 3rd round picks for someone's 1st round. I think KC will be willing, and maybe even AZ if Shazier is not there.

I would rather have a second 1st round pick that will contribute immediately this year, than a second and third rounder that may not be an impact player immediately. My guess is that they go all in on defense again like they did 2 years ago, with Jones and Hightower. If Belicheck is still in the mood for prospects and projects, then I guess he can go the other way and trade his pick for a 2nd and 3rd, but what are we going to do with those picks if they do not contribute immediately. They will be useful for depth and nothing else.

It would not be the worst thing ever am I gonna be mad if we don't no. But it would be nice to trade up and pick up a high first round player.

Even though it is a 'deep' draft, if the players in the 2nd and 3rd round are not going to contribute immediately, then why bother trading back. The Pats are built to win in the next 1-2 years. If that does not happen, then you rebuild again.

Thus, I think they will trade their 2nd and 3rd round picks for someone's 1st round. I think KC will be willing, and maybe even AZ if Shazier is not there.

I would rather have a second 1st round pick that will contribute immediately this year, than a second and third rounder that may not be an impact player immediately. My guess is that they go all in on defense again like they did 2 years ago, with Jones and Hightower. If Belicheck is still in the mood for prospects and projects, then I guess he can go the other way and trade his pick for a 2nd and 3rd, but what are we going to do with those picks if they do not contribute immediately. They will be useful for depth and nothing else.

That's nice and all but it does NOT compute.The Pats 2nd pick has an assigned value of 284. The Pats 3rd round pick at 93 carries a value of 128. The assigned value of pick # 32 of the first round is 590. Our 2nd and 3rd round picks only amount to 379. That's over 200 value points SHORT of the 32nd pick in the 1st round. Perhaps you'd be willing to throw in BOTH 4ths too, but that would still be over 120 value points short...and we can't trade the second of the 4th's because it's a comp.

So, no. The Pats cannot trade a 2nd and a 3rd and move into even the LAST pick of the first round.

I'm trying, but just can't get excited for this draft. I'll likely be watching the Bruins game instead.

Cruddell doesn't give a shyt about us long time NFL fans, Tunes. We'll be in nursing homes sipping oatmeal while this league reduces to the lowest common denominator, WWE level entertainment. The sport part of the game has been disfigured and bastardized by this greed driven stooge.

Cruddell doesn't give a shyt about us long time NFL fans, Tunes. We'll be in nursing homes sipping oatmeal while this league reduces to the lowest common denominator, WWE level entertainment. The sport part of the game has been disfigured and bastardized by this greed driven stooge.
Moving the draft to May has been a disaster for the game, but Herr Goodell wants to see the TV ratings before possibly putting it back in April next year. Once again, the fantasy geeks will determine how things go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/goodell-sees-real-value-in-may-draft/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down