PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a reason Collins doesn't try to block every PAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know the game is over a year ago but someone should send that clown blandino the flag collins got and explain that one

I think he should do it like once a season and then every other game just stand a few yards back from the center and yell like a maniac "I'm going to jump over you, b*tch!".

Just to keep them on their nerves.

Another idea: sign a player from the olympics or basketball whose only skill is to jump over people and disrupt kicks. Create a new specialty position called "kick blocker".

Soon every team would have one and PATs would be crazy to watch. People wouldn't use PATs to grab a beer or use the bathroom anymore.

If you become predictable, you become beatable.

Plus, there are probably penalty and injury risks they don't want to tempt....Like BB said, certain formations are more inviting for this play.

Collins is so amazing though isn't he?

Was just thinking after the Wagner block the other day, why doesn't Collins try that every PAT? Is it not worth risking the penalty because they miss about 5% of those? I feel like he would really perfect it and block a lot of those. I can't see how the other team could combat it. Maybe it's just a dumb thought, but I can't help thinking it. What an awesome play that was, I'd love to be in the mind of Adam when he sees Collins so friggin close.

hop.0.0.gif

penalty-wise, there's no reason not to try it on every PAT because the downside is so limited--re-try the kick if it's a miss, or a 15-yard penalty on the KO. KOs are almost becoming irrelevant anyway, so the 15-yard penalty isn't much.

i think the problem is that you can prepare to defend against it if you know it's coming on every extra point. the leaping player has to time their jump according to the signal for the snap, the timing of which they've presumably studied on film. the kicking team just has to change their procedure a little (e.g., snap it on the second signal) to mess up the leaping player's timing.

it's better to force the other team to have to spend time preparing for the possibility, and then try to catch a team sleeping when they least expect it, or save it for when it's a really crucial situation.

Last edited:
The NFL tried to legislate it out of the game. Now you have to completely clear the defender. If you don't it's a penalty flag. So Jamie Collins good at blocking kicks? Anti-Jamie Collins rule instituted by Goodell.

Seahawks blocked kick:

The Refs picked up the flag on this play. But if it had been Jamie Collins blocking that kick you know for sure the flag would have been enforced against us.

Wagner made contact with the holder, not kicker. I may be wrong but that doesn't warrant a penalty.
Also, it seemed like he was lined up exactly in center. Isn't it illegal ? IIRC, we got penalized few yrs ago in a game against Jets at MetLife for lining up in the middle. We lost the game on that FG. Pls. correct me if I am wrong.

i know the game is over a year ago but someone should send that clown blandino the flag collins got and explain that one

Collins was flagged for "leaping" in game 1 THIS YEAR vs. Arizona, which explains why the Arizona coach wanted it called the same way this time:

1st and Goal at NE 1
(9:46 - 4th) Larry Fitzgerald Pass From Carson Palmer for 1 Yard C.Catanzaro extra point is GOOD, Center-K.Canaday, Holder-D.Butler. PENALTY on NE-J.Collins, Leaping, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

Patriots vs. Cardinals - Play-By-Play - September 11, 2016 - ESPN

Collins timed the jump wrong(He was late) compared to the one he did against the Dolts. But it is pretty BS that Wagner doesn't get a penalty when Catanzaro hits the left upright if Collins gets one against the Cardinals.

Collins timed the jump wrong(He was late) compared to the one he did against the Dolts. But it is pretty BS that Wagner doesn't get a penalty when Catanzaro hits the left upright if Collins gets one against the Cardinals.

Well, if nothing else, the NFL* is consistent at being inconsistent.

Wagner made contact with the holder, not kicker. I may be wrong but that doesn't warrant a penalty.
Also, it seemed like he was lined up exactly in center. Isn't it illegal ? IIRC, we got penalized few yrs ago in a game against Jets at MetLife for lining up in the middle. We lost the game on that FG. Pls. correct me if I am wrong.

wagner actually came into contact with the left guard, watford (#78). you can tell that watford was trying to initiate contact with his right arm because of the earlier wagner block in the 2nd quarter:

as long as you're not lined up with 1 yard of the LOS, you're fine. if you're within 1 yard, then you can't line up over the center.

the penalty that the patriots got called for was pushing a teammate into the offensive line from the second level. belichick disputed the penalty because chris jones (the pusher) started on the LOS, so the push wasn't from the second level.

They need to protect against a fake. The guys behind the line don't usually rush except for end of game situations. Instead they usually drop back in coverage.

I'm not sure if a fake PAT for a two point conversion would be incredibly smart or incredibly stupid.

IE, would a fake field PAT snap from the 25 wiht your kicking unit be better than a two point try with your offense from the 2 yard line (it's tough to weight the 'element of surprise')

the penalty that the patriots got called for was pushing a teammate into the offensive line from the second level. belichick disputed the penalty because chris jones (the pusher) started on the LOS, so the push wasn't from the second level.

While you are correct about THAT penalty on Chris Jones that was not the penalty that was being reference by the OP.

You've got to catch the opposition by surprise, and save it for critical moments when those 1 or 3 points matter most. If you try leaping the snapper every game, the blockers will have a plan to stop you. But if you lure them into a false sense of security, and then surprise them with it in the playoffs.... :D

interestingly, both plays involved #78 watford.

against the seahawks, it's pretty obvious that watford initiates contact with his arm. other than that, wagner doesn't land on anyone.

in the game against the patriots, i think watford is aware of collins, so he comes out of his stance more quickly (you can see all of the other lineman are still down), causing collins to clip his back. i suppose technically that is "landing on" him, so i don't have too much of a problem with it. and it didn't hurt the patriots because the cardinals kicked it out of the endzone on the KO.

which one was it? the only play i remember that had to do with lining up over the center was the one where the ref moved hightower out of the way and then folk missed a 58-yard FG. the patriots won.

Why did official help Patriots avoid penalty before Jets' field goal got blocked? [Updated]

This thread relates to the leaping the center on field goal kicks and when is it a penalty and when is it not.

The penalty called on the pats that was being referenced was the leaping penalty called on Jamie Collins week one in Arizona on a PAT attempt.

Somehow how in the ref/league's minds that differed from the Bobby Wagner play (that was NOT called a penalty). In both cases it looks like contact was not made on the center/snapper.

edit: I agree, that looks like 'Landing" so I would concede the Collins play was a flag-worthy

This thread relates to the leaping the center on field goal kicks and when is it a penalty and when is it not.

The penalty called on the pats that was being referenced was the leaping penalty called on Jamie Collins week one in Arizona on a PAT attempt.

Somehow how in the ref/league's minds that differed from the Bobby Wagner play (that was NOT called a penalty). In both cases it looks like contact was not made on the center/snapper.

edit: I agree, that looks like 'Landing" so I would concede the Collins play was a flag-worthy

i was responding to qbno12 question about lining up over the middle a few years ago against the jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back