PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a reason Collins doesn't try to block every PAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Was just thinking after the Wagner block the other day, why doesn't Collins try that every PAT? Is it not worth risking the penalty because they miss about 5% of those? I feel like he would really perfect it and block a lot of those. I can't see how the other team could combat it. Maybe it's just a dumb thought, but I can't help thinking it. What an awesome play that was, I'd love to be in the mind of Adam when he sees Collins so friggin close.

hop.0.0.gif

Yes because if you touch the opposing player while vaulting over them, it's a penalty.

He tried it this year and nicked a player on the way over him and was flagged.

Is there a reason Collins doesn't try to block every PAT?

Probably the same reason they don't throw 30 yards downfield to Gronk on every play.
I'm just saying is the chance of a block better than a chance of a miss? I suppose a team may go for 2 if they get the penalty. Where as Gronk you're losing a down. It's kinda like what do you have to lose by trying?

They need to protect against a fake. The guys behind the line don't usually rush except for end of game situations. Instead they usually drop back in coverage.

I'm just saying is the chance of a block better than a chance of a miss? I suppose a team may go for 2 if they get the penalty. Where as Gronk you're losing a down. It's kinda like what do you have to lose by trying?

I'm thinking that kind of leap has increased potential for injury if you don't stick the landing right. Do you want to lose Collins for a few games on a leg injury from an XP block?

I'm thinking that kind of leap has increased potential for injury if you don't stick the landing right. Do you want to lose Collins for a few games on a leg injury from an XP block?
That's a good point too, I'll applaud him if he blocks it, and I'll complain and say he never should be out there if he gets hurt.

Yes because if you touch the opposing player while vaulting over them, it's a penalty.

He tried it this year and nicked a player on the way over him and was flagged.

Incidental contact SHOULD not be a penalty, according to Blandino. In fact, he says it takes LANDING on a player to be a penalty.

NFL says Bobby Wagner’s leap was legal

NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino said on NFL Network that Wagner did not commit a penalty because he did not land on a player. If Wagner had landed on someone after jumping up to block a kick, that would have been a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down. Wagner didn’t do that.

“There’s contact and then there’s incidental contact,” he said. “He can run up and jump, but he can’t land on players. Now if he brushes a player or brushes a teammate with incidental contact, that would be legal. So he’s gonna run, jump and clear the line, block the kick. You look at the TV copy replay and you can see that there is some contact. His foot is going to brush the back of the snapper, but that is not significant contact. It’s incidental. He didn’t land on players. So that’s what made it legal.”

It'll probably go away all together if Bill let's him do this to Baltimore.

BB said something once about it only working against certain teams or techniques. I think the blockers staying low was part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back