PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a personnel crisis on the Globe sports desk???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironwasp

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I hope the Globe is paying Mike Reiss well. On the Patriots page this morning we have: Reiss Pieces; Ask Mike Reiss; Mike Reiss Mailbag; Patriots Notebook (x2 by Mike Reiss); Patriots Get Rave Reviews (writes Mike Reiss).

Looked for the Mike Reiss beauty column, and his opinion on the ongoing Lebanon/Israel crisis, and can only assume I'm looking in the wrong place as it's not there.

Until they posted Bob Duffy's piece about the Gala, it was Reiss all the way until you get to Borgia's piece about Branch at the bottom.

Are the rest of them on holiday?

ironwasp said:
I hope the Globe is paying Mike Reiss well. On the Patriots page this morning we have: Reiss Pieces; Ask Mike Reiss; Mike Reiss Mailbag; Patriots Notebook (x2 by Mike Reiss); Patriots Get Rave Reviews (writes Mike Reiss).

Looked for the Mike Reiss beauty column, and his opinion on the ongoing Lebanon/Israel crisis, and can only assume I'm looking in the wrong place as it's not there.

Until they posted Bob Duffy's piece about the Gala, it was Reiss all the way until you get to Borgia's piece about Branch at the bottom.

Don't rock the boat. It appears things are going well over there for a change.

ironwasp said:

No they're not on Holiday, they're in mourning as the Sox go down the drain! They must be standing vigil at Fenway.
:rolleyes:

Frankly, Mike Reiss writes more informative stuff about the Patriots than the rest of them combined, so I'm fine with them working him like an Army mule :)

As long as they keep Shaughnessy away from the Pats as long as possible, I'm cool.

PlattsFan said:
Frankly, Mike Reiss writes more informative stuff about the Patriots than the rest of them combined, so I'm fine with them working him like an Army mule :)

As long as they keep Shaughnessy away from the Pats as long as possible, I'm cool.

I second that.

The last thing I wanna see is a column called "The Curse of the Vinatino".

Reiss 24/7. Isn't that the way it should be????

Eat dirt, I'mRonBorges?!!!!

Last edited:
Jerome Soloman is leaving; he's moving back to Houston. I guess they haven't replaced them yet.

Lamanai said:
Jerome Soloman is leaving; he's moving back to Houston. I guess they haven't replaced them yet.

That's not a job I'd wish on anyone. Imagine covering a football team that passes on Reggie Bush.

ironwasp said:
That's not a job I'd wish on anyone. Imagine covering a football team that passes on Reggie Bush.

Yes, but it is his home town. Also, the Head Coach probably does your job for you.

What's so good about Mike Reiss?

shmessy said:
Reiss 24/7. Isn't that the way it should be????

Eat dirt, I'mRonBorges?!!!!

In another thread (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=40095) it was mentioned that BB and Lawyer Milloy had made peace. In evidence, someone pointed to a Mike Reiss mailbag where he said that he had noticed that BB had gone over to shake hands with Lawyer at the end of the Atlanta game and that he had greeted BB warmly.

It's funny that that's the way you find things out about the Patriots -- kind of like the old days of the Soviet Union where "Kremlinologists" tried to guess what was going on from who stood where in the photos -- but is there another journalist around who would spot things like that?

I don't think so.

Re: What's so good about Mike Reiss?

Mike the Brit said:
In another thread (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=40095) it was mentioned that BB and Lawyer Milloy had made peace. In evidence, someone pointed to a Mike Reiss mailbag where he said that he had noticed that BB had gone over to shake hands with Lawyer at the end of the Atlanta game and that he had greeted BB warmly.

It's funny that that's the way you find things out about the Patriots -- kind of like the old days of the Soviet Union where "Kremlinologists" tried to guess what was going on from who stood where in the photos -- but is there another journalist around who would spot things like that?

I don't think so.

Yeah, what a piece if information. Belichick shaking hands with a former player. Great stuff. Reiss won't let you know how long Bruschi is out but if Belichick has dinner with Joe Andruzzi, he'll be all over it. Keep us informed Mike. You rock.

Mike the Brit said:

I don't think so.

Also, if Belichick ever says "Hi" to Ty Law, I hope it's on the front page of The Globe. That's great stuff.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Yeah, what a piece if information. Belichick shaking hands with a former player. Great stuff. Reiss won't let you know how long Bruschi is out but if Belichick has dinner with Joe Andruzzi, he'll be all over it. Keep us informed Mike. You rock.

Back in your hole ron.:D

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Also, if Belichick ever says "Hi" to Ty Law, I hope it's on the front page of The Globe. That's great stuff.

(Sing-Song) "Someone didn't get a job at the Glo - obe, someone didn't get a job at the Glo-obe...."

Reiss has been the only football writer in Boston for a while.

The others are bitter gossip columnists.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

Oh, please. Yes, Reiss doesn't know how long Bruschi will be out and I guarantee you NO ONE ELSE would either. Slinging veiled (and not-so-veiled) insults because one DOESN'T know does not a good, or even competent journalist make.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Yeah, what a piece if information. Belichick shaking hands with a former player

Yes, it's the sort of thing that anyone could see but no one else who is paid to report the Pats pays attention to.

Great stuff. Reiss won't let you know how long Bruschi is out

You're assuming that Reiss knows and is keeping the information to himself or that he has a way of finding out but is failing to use it

but if Belichick has dinner with Joe Andruzzi, he'll be all over it

Oddly enough, if Belichick had dinner with Joe Andruzzi, I'd be interested.

Keep us informed Mike. You rock.

What you bring to the board is appreciated too

ten characters

Hey Ron -- Reiss reported the Lawyer info in his "blog." A "blog" is defined as a type of website where entries are made (such as in a journal or diary), displayed in a reverse chronological order.

So the observation about Lawyer and BB was appropriate for that information vehicle. A lot has changed since you went to journalism school. You might want to take a refresher course. It might help tp spark your creative juices which, as every reader of the Boston Globe knows, have been dormant for years.

Reiss--no axes to grind (yet)

RayClay said:
Reiss has been the only football writer in Boston for a while.
The others are bitter gossip columnists.

"bitter"---i can't think of a better word. can't find one in wikipedia either.
maybe "rancorous". "vitriolic". maybe "venomous".
shaughnessy, borges, ryan. disease, pestilence, and death. for me, they've beome unreadable.
i ran into ryan last year on the new york-boston shuttle. he was surprisingly approachable and congenial. i asked him who he thought was worse---boston or new york sportswriters. naturally he said new york. i told him i thought boston was much worse. he asked me why and i told him i remembered him calling john havlicek a "mercenary"in 1977, and then in 1978 wishing hondo was still around to play in bird's rookie year.
he didn't like that.
BTW ryan is a big boy, about 6-4, 240.
i hope those 3 don't contaminate reiss with poor writing, shaky sources, and nast commentary, at least for a few mor years.

Re: Reiss--no axes to grind (yet)

ilduce06410 said:
"bitter"---i can't think of a better word. can't find one in wikipedia either.
maybe "rancorous". "vitriolic". maybe "venomous".
shaughnessy, borges, ryan. disease, pestilence, and death. for me, they've beome unreadable.
i hope those 3 don't contaminate reiss with poor writing, shaky sources, and nast commentary, at least for a few mor years.
As long as Reiss isn't relying on stringers and Lexus/Nexus to gather the material for the numerous items he is juggling, he'll be too busy to vegetate at the watering hole with the "mediocrities." That should be useful in limiting exposure and contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back