PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a clear first-round need for 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 Most pressing need for the 2009 draft - playmakers in the secondary, preferably 1 at Safety and 1 at CB.

#2 - Nastiness in the OL, preferably on the right side.

#3 - Lightening quick edge speed pass rusher.

I agree with this Top 3, though I would switch #s 1 and 2.

Re: #3, I would also love to have a 3-4 DE who can generate his own pass rush, instead of all (exc. for Jarvis) 4-3 DTs playing 3-4 DE.

I like the idea of a youth movement at LB but honestly I see both players as JAGs, I mean if they make the team they replace Izzo and Alexander.

Sounds good to me.

1. OL
2. CB
3. S
4. ILB

Those are my main areas of concern for now.

1. Whoever is at RT keeps getting abused, that can use an upgrade. And Neal can't stay healthy so... maybe finding a replacement for him at RG will be in order?

2. Pats need a starting quality corner. Hobbs is not it. Bryant is a stopgap. And Wheatley looks like a nickel thus far but he may move up to #2 corner depending on how he matures.

3. Harrison isn't getting any younger, and neither is Lynch.

4. Bruschi is still a fairly solid player but his limited range factor is a handicap. I love the guy but his days are numbered. I think Mayo will be solid, but who's going to be the other ILB on the inside?

I would say

OL is #1. with a little mean streak inthem
Pass rusher #2. We need to pressure the QB more.
CB/SS # 3. We need at least one TOP DB back there.

Te is # 4

Have to target the D. Starters returning next year on the DL... plus Mayo and Meriweather, Vrabel and Adalius. But Lynch and Harrison are stop gaps and Bruschi disappeared last year and I dont have high hopes for him this year.

I could see a first at CB, SS or ILB. Also, our young studly DL are eventually gonna hit FA, and we have nothing to backfill with.

On O, only TE is a serious need in 2009, by far the most urgent offensive need.

IMO, the most pressing need will be O-line...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back