Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is there a better creature this on this planet than a dog?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Nov 4, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +236 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

'Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine & a Miracle'

When Maj. Brian Dennis of the United States Marine Corps met a wild stray dog with shorn ears while serving in Iraq, he had no idea of the bond they would form, leading to seismic changes in both their lives. ".........................................................................................................We all got out of the Humvee and I started working when this dog came running up," recalls Dennis. "I said, 'Hey buddy' and bent down to pet him." Dennis noticed the dog's ears had been cut. "I said, 'You got little nubs for ears.'" The name stuck. The dog whose ears had been shorn off as a puppy by an Iraqi soldier (to make the dog "look tougher," Dennis says) became known as Nubs...................................................................................................
    On one trip to the border fort in December 2007, Dennis found Nubs was badly wounded in his left side where he'd been stabbed with a screwdriver. "The wound was infected and full of pus," Dennis recalls. "We pulled out our battle kits and poured antiseptic on his wound and force fed him some antibiotics wrapped in peanut butter." That night, Nubs was in so much pain that he refused food and water and slept standing up because he couldn't lay down. Dennis and his team left again the next day, but Dennis thought about Nubs the entire time, hoping the dog was still alive.

Two weeks later, when Dennis and his team returned, he found Nubs alive and well. "I had patched him up and that seemed to be a turning point in how he viewed me," says Dennis. This time, when Dennis and his team left the fort, Nubs followed. Though the dog lost sight of the Humvees, he never gave up. For two days, Nubs endured freezing temperatures and packs of wild dogs and wolves, eventually finding his way to Dennis at a camp an incredible 70 miles south near the Jordanian border.

More:

'Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine & a Miracle' - Paw Nation

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,971 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Gotta love that story ... great post. :cool::cool::cool:

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Dogs are the best. Somehow, they can make any day, no matter how badly it's going, feel better just by touching their fur. I can honestly say I would never trust someone who doesn't like dogs. You would have to be a crazy person.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

I agree, when I was first married we had a Malamute Shepherd mix, the guy who lived in the other duplex liked the dog, dog couldn't stand the guy, turns out he was a thief, who ripped off a number of people in the area.

If people were walking by most people he would like and wag his tail for some he would get really aggressive, my wife always trusted the Dog's judgement of people.

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I once lived in an area where people would dump their dogs. One day a Siberian Husky ended up in my yard. I would have kept him for a mate for my pup, a choc. lab, but the Husky was like, get out of my face. For three days the Husky was right at my side. I put an ad in the paper, dog for a good home. A guy answers and the dog fled down the street. Afterward, I concluded the dog was wiser then I was. Next, a young couple came, and the dog jumped in their car.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Mine (an American Mutt) hates two groups of people: Men in uniforms of any kind and teenage boys who wear hoods...oh, and creepy white males. He can sniff out a perv or a dishonest person from a mile away. I think creeps send out a scent out of fear that a dog will find them out. Don't knbow why he hates uniformed guys. He lets the Saturday letter carrier in no problem-she likes him too.