PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a a better choice than Love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be thrilled if someone was adequate at nose freeing Vince up. he's a great athlete and it would sure help our obvious deficiencies at both ends.

I'd be a little shocked to see someone step in and be competent, but you never know.

Last edited:
And the immortal Rick Lyle, with a sprinkling of Dan Klecko. Grasping at straws, in other words. If you recall, our superior "technique" was going to make up for lack of bulk.:D

Yes, much reference was made to Jim Burt as an example of a smaller NT being successful. Oh well - Klecko did have a nice first exhibition game as I recall.

:idontgetit: Choice for what?

I would be thrilled if someone was adequate at nose freeing Vince up. he's a great athlete and it would sure help our obvious deficiencies at both ends.

At once??

THAT wide he isn't.

A healthy LOL is warranted for speculating Green over Love.

No one had Love on their 53 man rosters. And now, he is apparently a key component of the defense. Something is seriously wrong with this analysis.

I think a better question is who the hell is Dane Fletcher? Saw all the preseason games but the 1st one, and can't recall seeing #45 or hearing his name called.

Curiously, PFW had both Love and Fletcher on the roster since the first practice.

No one had Love on their 53 man rosters. And now, he is apparently a key component of the defense. Something is seriously wrong with this analysis.

Maybe if you accepted that it's hard to find competent nose tackles and developing one is always on BB's mind, it wouldn't be.

Curiously, PFW had both Love and Fletcher on the roster since the first practice.

That, I find difficult to believe. That's Miss Cleo territory.

Is the Love the best choice for
7th DL?
16th front 7 player?
25th defensive player?

Once the choice was made to keep Deaderick over Lewis at DE, we had our normal quota of 6 defensive lineman and 9 linebackers.

With a healthy defense against Cinci, I expect only 5 defensive linemen to be active. As has been demonstrated many, many times, even the 5th defensive linemen doesn't get many reps.

So, I guess with the keeping of Love on the 53, Belichick is simply making sure that no one else picks up Love. This would certainly be true if Love is the inactive backup for Wilfork, the developmental NT. It seems that the choice of Love is a better value than the choice made last year for the saem position.

:idontgetit: Choice for what?

Last edited:
Love had a great game against the Giants, he held his ground consistently against double-teams and generated push and came off his blocks for tackles, I watched him closely that night. I had told my buddy that he just won himself a job and sure enough he did. This kid has a lot of upside and provides great depth right now.

Not sure if you're knocking the idea or not. But BB tried Wilfork at DE in the Ravens game last year. He's better against the run there than Mike Wright is. Brace looked pretty good in the preseason and, if healthy, should project to be our starter at LDE at some point. It isn't ideal, but that's what happens when you trade away one of the best DE's in the league before the 2009 season and then lose your other top notch DE to injury before 2010.

Better than M Wright or J Green against the run. I agree with Kontradiction - I think he is spot on. Having said that I think Brace had a MRI on his ankle so I think it is a high ankle sprain (there are no MRIs on slight tweaks), and that means he is out at least 4 weeks (my guess). As of Game 1 it is only two weeks since the injury, so I doubt we see Brace until Week 3 - and of course someone will start a thread that Brace stinks and is made of glass, blah, blah, blah.

Last edited:
MG, Love tried hard to enter our hearts this spring and summer. We will not be turning to Green as fall and winter approach. Love has won us over. Embrace Love my friend. Love is unknown to you, and so there seems to be some nerves. Let Love rule MG. You Gotta Let Love Rule!

But how many of people's 53 written by a Patriots coach? We don't see the full picture of a player!

Indeed, however there was the odd snippet declaring our Love for his playing energy and pondering whether Love should be in our, er, rosters. The trend was towards the roster, it's just difficult for fans assessing a NT to do so through the TV screen.

There's a reason we get rid of Green and now he's washed out of Denver

Its because he's finished

Having said that I think Brace had a MRI on his ankle so I think it is a high ankle sprain (there are no MRIs on slight tweaks),

Again, they don't do the diagnosis before the test, and sprained ankles that aren't high ankle sprains are not "tweaks".
* Grade 1 sprain:

Slight stretching and some damage to the fibers (fibrils) of the ligament.

* Grade 2 sprain:

Partial tearing of the ligament. If the ankle joint is examined and moved in certain ways, abnormal looseness (laxity) of the ankle joint occurs.

* Grade 3 sprain:

Complete tear of the ligament. If the examiner pulls or pushes on the ankle joint in certain movements, gross instability occurs.

Your Orthopaedic Connection: Sprained Ankle

Is the Love the best choice for
7th DL? - seems like he was the competitive to be the best choice for a #2 NT and worth protecting from all the other NT needy 3-4 teams.
16th front 7 player? - DL depth tends to win over LB depth in Bill Belichick's world view, nothing new in this decision.
25th defensive player? - See above in regard to DB depth.

Once the choice was made to keep Deaderick over Lewis at DE, we had our normal quota of 6 defensive lineman and 9 linebackers. You and I will continue to disagree as to Bill Belichick's standard of "normal," once again we "7's" stand proud in the face of you "6's."

With a healthy defense against Cinci, I expect only 5 defensive linemen to be active. As has been demonstrated many, many times, even the 5th defensive linemen doesn't get many reps. - Yes, and we already know two of the Magnificent Seven are on the injury report and Cincinnati is a running team with a gunslinger QB and some colorful receivers, putting the run burden squarely on the D-line. I'm thinking 4-3; Warren & Wilfork inside, Murrell and TBC outside, Spikes-Mike, Mayo-Will, Guyton-Sam with Mayo and Guyton reading the TEs and pass first.

So, I guess with the keeping of Love on the 53, Belichick is simply making sure that no one else picks up Love. This would certainly be true if Love is the inactive backup for Wilfork, the developmental NT. It seems that the choice of Love is a better value than the choice made last year for the saem position.
We don't know Brace's long term fit in BB's plans, he certainly got enough reps at DE during Training Camp.

Incorrect.

Quite a few people, including me, did.

#1 Backup NT.

Will be part of the Goal Line Defence.

He stood out, Vince took him under his wing and he improved all through Camp and the pre-season games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back