PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the secondary a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post who was playing in the secondary in that infamous quarter, and their health status. Do you really believe that the 2007 secondary isn't better than that?

What about getting torched that last quarter of the season, especially in the playoffs? Didn't that seem a bit un-patriotlike. You know when we were up 3 touchdowns and lost to Indy. I'm just saying if a few guys get injured, that could be our achilles heel...I have faith in Behlichick though....

The secondary has been in flux for YEARS,do to injuries or defections.It always seems to be as area of concern,but the vast majority of time it proves not to be a problem. But that doesn't mean that I still don't worry about it.

Last edited:
http://patriots.scout.com/2/654349.html
"I am just here to just go out there and play," said Scott, whose resume includes 21 career picks. "I view myself as a starter. I'm happy with any opportunity I get."
-----
"I don't have anything to do with that," James said of the open spot left with Samuel's AWOL status. "All I have to do is come in here and pick up the defense as fast as I can and work hard and just try to get out on the field and help the team win. That's all I can think about at this point. I just want to be the best player I can be. Work as hard as I can and not leave anything out there. I just want to help this team get to where we want to be. That's my expectation -- just be the best player I can be."
-----
"All of us go out there ready to step it up," Hobbs said. "We don't look at it as lets jump on one guys' shoulders, especially in the back end in the secondary where you are always out there by yourself anyway. You always have to feel like you're the guy to make that play. I think that with everybody having that mentality that's how we do make plays as a team."

I'm not hitting the Panic button yet because to me, the Front 7 does the bulk of the work in stopping the run, pressuring the QB, and causing mayhem and the CBs get alot of help because of that... I ALWAYS feel better when Harrison is back there, and when he's not, I do tend to worry more.. I'm not quite sure on the stat, but it seems like when we have lost to the Colts, Rodney hasn't been in the game because of injury... If Rodney is healthy, and regardless of Asante being there or not, I still think we will be fine... I also look forward to seeing Meriweather play, and I LOVE Hobbs play, I think he will be even better this year... I'm sure at this time of year, BB is thinking of all the What ifs that could go wrong, and will be preparing players for those situations in TC.. So, I'm not worried, but I do feel the Pat Secondary has the worse luck in staying injury free, and it's frustrating to me, as the fan, I can only imagine how it is to the players and coaches...

I agree. If the front seven are doing their job against the pass, then the DBs tend to look that bit better. I thought that we had fewer blown coverages last season than the the 2005 one. I remember one conceded TD involving Starks and co, where the communication was so crap that half the D was playing Zone and the other was playing Man. Starks and Wilson (I think) were all over the place; the receiver was handed on to a Deep Zone guy who simply wasn't there. 2006 seemed to be a vast improvement on that.
Next year, I think we'll be fine with Hobbs on one corner, Samuel/Wilson on the other, Gay et al. at Nickel, Merriweather and Harrison/Sanders.

I agree. If the front seven are doing their job against the pass, then the DBs tend to look that bit better. I thought that we had fewer blown coverages last season than the the 2005 one. I remember one conceded TD involving Starks and co, where the communication was so crap that half the D was playing Zone and the other was playing Man. Starks and Wilson (I think) were all over the place; the receiver was handed on to a Deep Zone guy who simply wasn't there. 2006 seemed to be a vast improvement on that.
Next year, I think we'll be fine with Hobbs on one corner, Samuel/Wilson on the other, Gay et al. at Nickel, Merriweather and Harrison/Sanders.
And Mickens is still out there waiting for the Pats to call last time I checked.

Everybody on here seems very content with next year's secondary. Me, I think is the one and only "hole" on our team. There is just too many "ifs" for me to feel comfortable about the Pats ability to stop the pass..No? Don't believe me? Well "homers" lets have a look.....

Yea, the Pats were at the middle of the pack in terms of pass defense...
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=8&_1:col_1=8

but towards the end of the year and especially in the playoffs that secondary looked vulnerable, especially to the deep ball...

The ifs:

Rodney can stay healthy?
Eugene Wilson play to potential?
Asante?
Can Hobbs step it up?
will Merriweather immediatley ready to contribute?

The secondary doesn't WOW me at all...I did like the pickup of Tory James....

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Yes, this is basically how I feel. It could come out fine, but there are lots of moving parts that could be problems, as you cite above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes