Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is the Republican Party too extreme?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Is the Republican Party too extreme?

1. I'm generally a Democrat, and I say Yes

22.7%
  2. I'm generally a Democrat, and I say NO

4.5%
  3. I'm generally a Republican, and I say Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm generally a Republican, and I say No

13.6%
  5. I'm generally an independent, and I say Yes

50.0%
  6. I'm generally an independent, and I say No

9.1%
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 18 / -17

Republican Party Too Extreme, Majority Of Americans Say: Poll

For the first time, a majority of Americans now say the Republican Party is too extreme, according to a poll released Thursday by CNN/ORC.

Fifty-three percent of people, including 22 percent of Republicans, said the GOP's views and policies have pushed them beyond the mainstream. The number is up dramatically from previous years. In 2010, fewer than 40 percent thought the party was too extreme.

Democrats were considered to be a "generally mainstream" party by 57 percent in the new poll.

2. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well, when you have followers such as Ted Nugent publicly representing you, I believe they do. That guy is the most extremist idiot I've ever seen.

3. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well, when you have followers such as Ted Nugent publicly representing your party the way he does, I believe they do. That guy is the most extremist idiot I've ever seen.

But anyways, looking at the party members itself, it seems that they've been this way for awhile. They keep stepping on their own feet with it as well.

4. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -2

I say yes! First: Religion, leave it out of politics and laws. Second: Learn from your religious roots. The bible/church has changed to reflect the changes in society that is how it survives and stays viable. Third: Stop trying to block taxes on the rich, the Democrats won't tax them anyways ;)

5. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +413 / 58 / -29

#32 Jersey

[​IMG]

6. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

Patters, do you generally see the problem with posting a 6-option poll for a subforum of about 20 people?

I would like access to the rules forum again that Icy and 13 keep banning me from every 4-5 weeks for no apparent reason. Thanks.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +969 / 2 / -9

Do what I'm trying to do, LEAVE.

:rofl::rofl:

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You're having trouble leaving an imaginary forum of anonymous characters?
    :rofl::woohoo::bricks:

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +969 / 2 / -9

Out where the moonbats are glowing
    I’m drawn like a moth to a flame
    I laugh while the loons are all looning
    And the good guys all whisper my name.

:bricks:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +492 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I think the republican party is too stubborn. Although I'm not sure if that means extreme.

However, conservatism & liberalism can either be extreme or moderate. I see the democratic party as currently being slightly more popular than the republican party. But I do not see liberalim as being more popular than conservatism.

We always have keep in mind that liberalism does not = democrat nor does conservatism = republican.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +478 / 18 / -17

I agree with you that liberalism and conservativism are not the same as party affiliation, though in reality by and large liberal Republicans have been almost wiped out. The days of Lindsay, Rocky, Weiker, Javitz, and others are largely gone, while there are still a large number of conservative Democrats.

As far as liberalism being less popular than conservativism, I don't think that's true. The more popular path tends to be incorporated into the national consciousness. Thus, if you look at liberalism as covering such things as women's suffrage, Social Security, civil rights, farm aid, environmental protection, minimum wage, 8 hour work day, family leave, student loans, Medicare, and so on, then you can argue that in many ways liberalism is the norm. Thus, in many ways the center is actually quite liberal. Liberalism over year has moved the bar, and conservatives have had negligible success in moving it back.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

I'm looking at this a bit differently ... if they are moving in that direction it's because their electorate is also. Politicians are taking the blame/fall for the country being more polarized. More liberal on the outside and more conservative on the inside. As the Latin American population stretches out across the country this will change.

13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 12 / -7

"There are places on the Internet where the name Walowitz is whispered in hushed tones..."

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +478 / 18 / -17

It's striking that many of the forum's conservatives aren't answering, perhaps because they don't want to take personal responsibility? Also, it's interesting that the forum's closet conservatives (like RW and PR) are not answering this survey, perhaps because they think their answers would expose what they think we don't know!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +204 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I didn't like the black or white nature of the answers. I think sometimes they are too extreme so a yes or no answer can't reflect that. I'm a registered republican but consider myself more of an independent that is a little right of center ideologically.

Happy New Year everyone.

16. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +202 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

The problem with the Republican Party is that they completely lose independents like myself who are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Harry calls the ultra liberals moonbats but what do you call the Republicans who said stuff like a child from rape being a gift from god or that they believe that in vitro is abortion because all of the eggs aren't fertilized? I don't think moonbat is strong enough for those whack jobs.

17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +204 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

yeah those guys are part of what i was talking about. I just read this little piece regarding Jon Huntsman's take. I think he's right.

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

Do not think that the GOP is too extreme..

Do think that very vocal factions of the GOP are too extreme, and unfortunately they seem to dictate and control the conversation to the point that necessary progress in this country is impeded..

At one time the Dems and GOP did not agree on much, however they negotiated and bargained what was best for this country.. this seems to be much different now..

The interjection of extreme religious views has also obstructed some of the things that this country needs to get done...

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

Common sense, but he will be labeled a RINO or a traitor..

20. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I agree with this and would put myself in this category. I think there are a lot of people who feel this way and maybe a candidate will come along who is not bullied, corrupted, or outspent by the system.