PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the Pats best D hoping the other team makes a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Thread Number 10,245 on how much the defense sucks.

One thing I do not get about this D, and this has nothing to do with the pre season, is that they never force the issue. They only play that sit back and react mode, and good teams pick them apart.

They never force the issue, gone are the exotic blitz and cover schemes, the tight coverages, etc. I understand they have never been an attacking D, and they would give up yardage, and than tighten up in the red zone, etc. But since their Red Zone D is so bad right now, you think BB would try and attack more. If you make a mistake at least make a mistake big, these 10 play 80 yard drives, where teams just methodically move up and down the field has got to stop. I would rather give up a 60 yard TD on an aggressive play, than these long drives all game.

It seems the only way this Pats D can stop a good offense, is to hope for a WR to drop a ball or a offensive penalty, or the RB misses the wide open gaping hole. The D never stops a good offense.

The Pats will have good team defense numbers, cause they will kill the bad teams, and their O will control the clock in a lot of games, they will break out to a few big leads , where the other team is in a pass only mode. But in any game where their is a good QB, or a defense that keeps the Pats O to score less than normal, the Pats have no shot at winning.

Last edited:
Re: Is teh Pats best D, hoping the other team makes a mistake?

Yes, they rely on offenses making a mistake. It hasn't worked for the last 5 years.

I am hoping we start to see a little more risk taking and blitzing this season with some exotic stunts and such.

Of course we open ourselves up to the quick death, but it seems atleast to have the potential of forcing opposing offenses into mistakes.

Watching opposing offenses that have struggled against other teams methodically move down the field while we give ten yard cushions is just painfull.

Having watched the preseason I felt the only decent play we saw was the first game where we tried some blitzing.

I felt Atlanta's troubles on O where more self inflicted rather then anything the Pats did.

We will see how the season goes. We are playing some very good offenses, and one good one right out of the gate.

I just wish we had a proven playmaker or two on the defense. Sure could use another Rodney Harrison about now.

We simply no longer have the players like we once had. Bill's defensive "genius" is useless without the players to execute it. We are going to experience some painful defensive plays on defense this year.

I think it is going be uprouriously funny if the Pats D that plays this year is the one that looked relaly really good int he first couple of PS games.

I am saying Now that is D will be a top 5 D in points allowed and top 10 in Yards allowed

I'm not ready to declare our defense a disaster just yet. Let's wait to see what they actually do during the season with a gameplan.

The Patriots best defense in 2010 is going to be Tom Brady.

Last edited:
I'm not ready to declare our defense a disaster just yet. Let's wait to see what they actually do during the season with a gameplan.

nah..,.you can't do that here..preseason means everything and extrapolates forward as THE prime indication of what this year's Pats squad is.

Remember when the Pats lost 31-0 in their opener vs. the Bills? This board would be a ghost town if that happened today...from all the mass suicides

If the Pats are to win 10 games this season which is about the best I can see the team doing,The offense will have to put up 30 points or more in more than 10 games and win most of them.

We could see scoring shootouts galore with those types of up and down the field,last team who has the ball wins type of games and any Pats fan that loves a good defensive battle might want to become a fan of another team this season.

There will be one or maybe no 10-7 type final scores in Pats games this season IMO

Last edited:
nah..,.you can't do that here..preseason means everything and extrapolates forward as THE prime indication of what this year's Pats squad is.

Remember when the Pats lost 31-0 in their opener vs. the Bills? This board would be a ghost town if that happened today...from all the mass suicides

Belichick had released Milloy, he signed with Buffalo and they put that hurt on us. I remember some people actually wanted Belichick fired.

If you make a mistake at least make a mistake big, these 10 play 80 yard drives, where teams just methodically move up and down the field has got to stop. I would rather give up a 60 yard TD on an aggressive play, than these long drives all game.

It seems the only way this Pats D can stop a good offense, is to hope for a WR to drop a ball or a offensive penalty, or the RB misses the wide open gaping hole. The D never stops a good offense.

The Pats will have good team defense numbers, cause they will kill the bad teams, and their O will control the clock in a lot of games, they will break out to a few big leads , where the other team is in a pass only mode. But in any game where their is a good QB, or a defense that keeps the Pats O to score less than normal, the Pats have no shot at winning.

Unfortunately, this is too true. I know we don't have the talent of the superbowl years but they are simply too passive. It seems the players are always asked to keep the play in front of them. You can't make plays like that. If they score in a 10 minute drive and the Pats score in a 2 minute drive the advantage goes to the other team.

NO did not have superb defensive talent in my opinion but they
Were extremely aggressive.

I am saying Now that is D will be a top 5 D in points allowed and top 10 in Yards allowed

I'll have what he's having

It's funny how most people were still extremely [probably overly] optimistic about the defense all pre-season, even after Ty Warren went down. Then Leigh Bodden gets IR'd, the defense looks disorganized in the last [and most meaningless] pre-season game, and suddenly you would think it's the end of the world and the season is over.

I agree that this will not be a dominating defense by any stretch unless some guys really step up and overachieve [McCourty, Brace, Woods?], but I don't read anything into pre-season performances anymore.

Overall, this team still has more than enough horses to win it all.

So you're judging the Pats' defensive philosophy based on a couple of preseason games? Good luck with that.

The BBDB philosophy is just fine. As I've said, numerous times, there's nothing wrong with it. It's been around longer than most of us. The problem is that the team doesn't have the personnel to execute it to perfection right now. When that personnel returns, so will a dominant defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes