PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the offense better off without Faulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnydog

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As a long time fan I love Faulk and hate what happened to him. He's a future Patriots hall of famer. But I also think the Pats overused the shotgun sets with Faulk in the backfield. In my view as comfortable Brady was in playing out of the shotgun with Faulk in the background, opposing defenses had become just as comfortable defending against it. And the Patriots seemed to panic quickly in the second half of games lately and go to that formation even with the lead.

There is no one on the roster who can now do what Faulk did. Frankly I think the offense needed to change things up or at least put Brady under center more and concentrate on using the tight ends especially out off of play action. Now they have no choice.

What you fail to consider is not only do they have no choice but they have no depth at RB ...I hardly think Woodhead is the answer.

Faulk was insurance at RB and the fact that BB failed to sign a FB the past 2 years hurts as well,we could have used one now.

This offense will put up big numbers with or without Faulk... but where you miss Faulk doesn't really show up in the stats directly.

Faulk's role as a savvy blocker and savvy and diverse player winds up buying Brady a few seconds here and there, or giving him an outlet pass to a guy who more often than not is in the right place at the right time

That can offen mean making the difference on a few hard fought first downs during the course of a game

We've got a good number of alternative short pass and are currently ok at RB - but having a smart player like Faulk who won't hesititate to sacrifice his body to save Brady or make a play? The only stat that ulimately shows up in is the W L column.

I'd like to think some of the other players on this team can step up in place of Faulk. I think they can respond to this challenge.

if the offense was better without Faulk then he would have been cut or sit the bench ... like Troy Brown barely played receiver his last few years here.

One thing I love about Bill is he really does not appear to ever play favorites. he leaves it up to the players to make a path for themselves.

some of the new stuff may confuse a team or two for now ... but they'll adjust after they have our new stuff on film ... like all teams do. hernandez had a great game ... now he's on film and it will be harder for him.

Last edited:
God, please make it stop. My ears are bleeding.

Why are people suddenly getting the idea that you make the offense better by taking away its best players? Does not compute.

Why are people suddenly getting the idea that you make the offense better by taking away its best players? Does not compute.

How could you possibly make the second half offense of the last year worse?

This offense will put up big numbers with or without Faulk... but where you miss Faulk doesn't really show up in the stats directly.

That can offen mean making the difference on a few hard fought first downs during the course of a game

We've got a good number of alternative short pass and are currently ok at RB - but having a smart player like Faulk who won't hesititate to sacrifice his body to save Brady or make a play? The only stat that ulimately shows up in is the W L column.

I'd like to think some of the other players on this team can step up in place of Faulk. I think they can respond to this challenge.

I like Faulk a lot. I think we overestimate how good how was though.

Faulk was an excellent blocker.
Faulk was an excellent receiver for an RB (i.e., he was substandard but not ridiculous by WR standards).
Faulk was an OK rusher (very good in some ways, substandard in others, and the mix was pretty good for the sets he was used in).

Yeah, he'll be missed.

Is Ben better without Jerry?

Is Dave better without Buster?

Was Abbott better without Costello?

Was Moe better without Larry?

Believe it or not someone asked BB this question in a roundabout way

It Is What It Is Belichick Friday: ‘I’d rather have Kevin Faulk’

Does that give you and type of advantage this week in that the opponent doesn’t know what you’re going to do?

BB: I’d rather have Kevin Faulk. I think any time you don’t have a good player, there’s a little bit of uncertainty on their end, but we’d rather have the player. I think every team would feel that way.

Of course he will be missed...

but Kevin Faulk up the middle was going nowhere and I was suprised to see that more than once.

Of course he will be missed...

but Kevin Faulk up the middle was going nowhere and I was suprised to see that more than once.

Captain, can you PM me about Homer? I tried to PM you but it bounced back.

Captain, can you PM me about Homer? I tried to PM you but it bounced back.

Must be that pesky rubber Iliad again.....:rofl:

Give it up. I pondered the same thing yesterday.

Patsfans' 1-line response thread nazi's said "NO WAY!", so it must be true.

My point, like yours, is that the albeit forced playcalling variety might actually help offset, and possibly, even overcome the loss. Time will tell.

His amazing blitz pickups will be tough to replicate, though. Everything else, not so much a problem.

Give it up. I pondered the same thing yesterday.

Patsfans' 1-line response thread nazi's said "NO WAY!", so it must be true.

My point, like yours, is that the albeit forced playcalling variety might actually help offset, and possibly, even overcome the loss. Time will tell.

His amazing blitz pickups will be tough to replicate, though. Everything else, not so much a problem.

So that's why Brady should be benchef. Because somehow, for some reason, the playcalling will get better with him gone and the team will actually get better because of it.

I think some of you guys have watched too many Disney movies. In real life, losing good players is a bad thing.

Last edited:
This forum's stupid is off the charts since the loss to the Jets.

No, losing one of your most dependable receiving threats and best 3rd down blitz blocking RB in one injury does not help the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes