PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the NFL doing the right thing????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, I sense a real mob mentality here. If nothing is done right now, then the world will fall to pieces! Nonsense.

There is actually a policy which has been spelled out (according to Chris Mortensen) which is explicitly for repeat offenders. The NFL office has confirmed (again, according to Chris Mortensen) that Vick is not a repeat offender according to the existing policy and that non-repeat offenders are not acted upon by the NFL until after a legal verdict.

Once you understand this, then you realize that most of you are suggesting that the policies agreed to by the Commissioner and the Union should be thrown out the window if it doesn't suit your ideas in a particular case. Again, nonsense. That is no way to run a League or to establish credibility. Measured steps must be taken in order to achieve long-term good even at the risk of potential short-term harm.

The NFL is doing exactly what it should be doing. I hate this mob mentality.

I think a lot of you are overreacting. The indictment came down 2 days ago. There's no need to rush into anything. Y'all are making it sound like Vick is skating away scot-free when the fact of the matter is that it is wise not to make any hasty decisions.

Again THE NFL ALREADY MADE A DECISION. Unless he is convicted or pleads guilty there will be no suspension.

Again THE NFL ALREADY MADE A DECISION. Unless he is convicted or pleads guilty there will be no suspension.
Puh-leeze... they could easily change their minds if they so choose. The PFT report you are likely basing your info from says "Schefter says that, for now (emphasis mine) the plan is not to suspend Vick. But Schefter points out that, given the volatile nature of the case, anything is possible."

So to make it sound like the NFL has already made an irrevocable decision that is set in stone and can't be changed is just simply not accurate.

Last edited:
You don't get it, unfortunately. If the commissioner does something now to placate you, he risks losing the entire personal conduct policy when the NFLPA is forced to file a grievance on behalf of a player they have no interest in supporting and some arbitrator who would rather round up every pit bull in his area code and turn them loose on Michael Vick is forced to rule in his favor thereby eviscerating a policy that unheard of cooperation has allowed until now to even exist unchallenged. Think, and switch to decaf.
You my frired do not get it. I don't give a damn if he is placating me or not. It's the public he will be facing in a tidal wave. Losing the conduct policy will be the least of his problems in the future. The image of the NFL is resting with him, and frankly, I think he's blown it. Why hasn't he come out AT LEAST in statements?? Why hasn't he the guts to do that?? Looks like he's protecting a star..or basically dodging the seriousness of this. He's creating a PR nightmare for himself..weak VERY weak in my opinion. Even if he doesn't suspend him...but makes strong statements, he looks better than he does now. Now he looks VERY weak out not out in front on this. Maybe the Falcons will recsue his backside by supending him or convincing Vick he should go away for awhile. No caffeine in a bit.

Last edited:
************ people it's been two days. When did "reactionary" become a positive trait for a league/commissioner?

Puh-leeze... they could easily change their minds if they so choose. The PFT report you are likely basing your info from says "Schefter says that, for now (emphasis mine) the plan is not to suspend Vick. But Schefter points out that, given the volatile nature of the case, anything is possible."

So to make it sound like the NFL has already made an irrevocable decision that is set in stone and can't be changed is just simply not accurate.

Then why didn't they just say "we're reviewing the matter" or whatever?

Then why didn't they just say "we're reviewing the matter" or whatever?
Well I don't write the NFL's press releases so I can't really explain why they choice the specific vernacular and verbiage they did... but it's quite clear they are reserving the right to change their minds...

Everything is on hold until the conviction. Godell has stated as much. He's lettign this play out. It's the smart move.

The question is what will be the NFL penalty and what will the Falcons do with the cap issue (do they ask for relief?) Do they go after the remainder of the signing bonus? Do they trade him and if so, who the hell would take this guy?

The other question is when does this happen? Does the league and the Falc's go in attack mode while his in prison or between the conviction & sentancing?

Indeed, I sense a real mob mentality here. If nothing is done right now, then the world will fall to pieces! Nonsense.

There is actually a policy which has been spelled out (according to Chris Mortensen) which is explicitly for repeat offenders. The NFL office has confirmed (again, according to Chris Mortensen) that Vick is not a repeat offender according to the existing policy and that non-repeat offenders are not acted upon by the NFL until after a legal verdict.

Once you understand this, then you realize that most of you are suggesting that the policies agreed to by the Commissioner and the Union should be thrown out the window if it doesn't suit your ideas in a particular case. Again, nonsense. That is no way to run a League or to establish credibility. Measured steps must be taken in order to achieve long-term good even at the risk of potential short-term harm.

The NFL is doing exactly what it should be doing. I hate this mob mentality.
I think that is wrong on a few counts..Firstly, the weakness of teh Commish is showing..OK do nothing UNTIL later..but at LEAST come out strong in saying that you as Commisionor are outraged by these developments and that you will make a decision later. That is ALL minimum that was needed. NOT this mealy mouthed "we are not suspending him bow..waiting for legal outcomes." He needed to get in front of it, confronting it front and center instead of weak words and actions. What about the fact that Vick lied to the Commish?? I guess that is all OK as well. The NFL is in danger of real tarnish and having serious PR problems. THAT has already started.

I agree that they CAN change their mind..but it all looks weak from now on. When public opinion forces actions, how does that make the league look?? Where was the Commish? Why wasn't he in front of teh wave instead of waiting it to wash over him?? All he had to do was come out with a strong statement, condemning the actions and leaving future suspensions/non-supensions open. THAT simple. Now he looks like he's swaying with the breeze. What happeend to the hammer??

Can someone please post a link to Vick lying to the commissioner? I don't pay as much attention as I should in the offseason - I know, no excuse.

I don't buy the pack mentality allegations. A large number of people collectively reaching the same conclusion when presented with pretty overwhelming evidence is reasonable in my book. No one is throwing stones at the man. I just want the league to show some balls and make a statement that publicly demonstrates the NFL has some integrity.

An aside - I couldn't get through at the number provided - it just rang and rang. Anyone else have any luck?

Everything is on hold until the conviction. Godell has stated as much. He's lettign this play out. It's the smart move.
I am not sure how "smart" it all is. He will be facing a PR nightmare and every game Vick is playing will be a circus. And it is a PR nightmare...so much for the tough guy cleaning up the league..Maybe matters less when it's a star...NOT goos. Doesn't sound all that smart though.

Can someone please post a link to Vick lying to the commissioner? I don't pay as much attention as I should in the offseason - I know, no excuse.

I don't buy the pack mentality allegations. A large number of people collectively reaching the same conclusion when presented with pretty overwhelming evidence is reasonable in my book. No one is throwing stones at the man. I just want the league to show some balls and make a statement that publicly demonstrates the NFL has some integrity.

An aside - I couldn't get through at the number provided - it just rang and rang. Anyone else have any luck?
I heard a bit ago that calls were being rerouted..as it was overloaded. Since Vick and Goodell talked behind closed doors, I doubt that there are any direct quotes from it...but basically, it was more of what he has said in the press..total denials about it all.

I agree that they CAN change their mind..but it all looks weak from now on. When public opinion forces actions, how does that make the league look?? Where was the Commish? Why wasn't he in front of teh wave instead of waiting it to wash over him??
Maybe because it's wiser to let more facts roll in instead of being a reactionary commissioner...?
All he had to do was come out with a strong statement, condemning the actions and leaving future suspensions/non-supensions open. THAT simple. Now he looks like he's swaying with the breeze. What happeend to the hammer??
No, what it "looks like" is he is waiting for more facts to come out before making an ultimate decision. The regular season is still about 8 weeks away, why are you in such a rush..?

What you have to realize is that these actions cannot be evaluated in a vacuum. If he suspends Vick the day after the indictment, then people like you will criticize him the next time some player gets indicted and he doesn't suspend immediately. You'll say "he suspended Vick immediately, so why isn't he suspending so-and-so immediately..!??" So if they got in the habit of suspending players immediately, all would be perfectly well and good - until that one time when you suspend someone who's later found not guilty of all charges.

Last edited:
I agree that they CAN change their mind..but it all looks weak from now on. When public opinion forces actions, how does that make the league look?? Where was the Commish? Why wasn't he in front of teh wave instead of waiting it to wash over him?? All he had to do was come out with a strong statement, condemning the actions and leaving future suspensions/non-supensions open. THAT simple. Now he looks like he's swaying with the breeze. What happeend to the hammer??

You are hysterical. Even PETA of all outfits has said the league and the team will need some time to map a course. He did express disgust and outrage and disappointment in the charges and the player for allowing himself to become entangled in such a sordid mess. He also talked at length with the team owner who was out of the country when the indicment came down. This effects more than just a scumbag QB - Atlanta's season and financial future are part of the mix. Perhaps Blank asked him to postpone any decision until he sees what the team can and perhaps must do. It is well within his perview to can Vick's sorry ass as part of the standard player contract and if he does that perhaps he can also recoup some of the millions Michael then won't have for his defense against these and likely other charges down the road. Goodell is personally said to be livid, but he's not going to let his personal feelings taint the process.

Vick is DONE. We know it, he knows it, Blank knows it, corporations know it, the commissioner acting in a knee jerk manner just to placate hysterical fans would be needless and perhaps counterproductive piling on at this juncture. When he's gone from the league I prefer he's gone for good and not subject to reinstatement on a technicality by some poor arbitrator who had his hands tied just so the league could make you feel better TODAY. Because then you'd be the first calling for Goodell's head to roll over screwing that up too.

Put me in the let the process take its course camp. The allegations are heinous and I believe that the odds are they're true and deserved. As has been stated here previously, we're only a couple days post indictment. Vick's behaviour does NOT violate the league's repeat offender rules. Those calling for precipitous action are reacting emotionally. Vick's season is toast with the Feds likely to have him in court under trial this season. Let the commish take a reasoned, legal approach. Those most upset with Vick's conduct will get their pound of flesh. Have patience.

Opinion- once more we see an athelete who most likely has let possible gangbanger buddy ties expose him to situations that run counter to the serious side of the law. Hopefully the NFL rookie orientation sessions can continue to discourage these associations.

I don't have the desire to hunt down a link for you. But Vick met with the commissioner the day before the draft and reportedly reassured him that he had no involvement with the alleged dog fighting whatsoever and he almost never visited the property in question. It was all his bad friends and family making him look bad, and he promised to make better decisions regarding them in the future. The Indictment now alleges among other things that just a few days prior to that meeting he was party to a test fight at the property following which 8 dogs were executed for not measuring up.

As for the pack mentality, it's not in wanting him gone - I'm sure the vast majority of NFL fans do. It's in wanting to risk screwing up the process just to insure something gets done today that may then be overturned in a month. Which makes it a pack knee jerk mentality. People say they don't care about what happens down the road, but those same people would be incensed if he ultimately got reinstated before the season and pending any conviction because the commissioner caved to public demands he do something that could ultimately lead to just that.

Vick may yet face additional charges at the State level for cruelty to animals, although I will also support the Feds if they choose to refuse to cooperate with the idiot Poindexter to that end until their case is closed. And the NFL is continuing it's own investigation which may begin to focus on the gambling inherent in dog fighting. Which of course the IRS may also start to dig into.

Vick is screwed. And perhaps in the long run watching him attempt to live through this process and loose everything may serve as a better deterrent to all the players who may be sympathetic to his plight because they have been or are currently involved in or support through their attendance dog fighting. It is a widely known subculture in the NFL that ultimately the powers that be as well as activist groups want stamped out just as much as they want Michael Vick to answer to the charges he's been slapped with.

People need to see and appreciate the big picture.

Am I the only one who feels that the NFL is operating on a double standard with Michael Vick?? Sure, it's easy to get tough with a Tank Johnson or another obscure player or even a many incident involved player like Pacman, but when it comes to a star like Vick, it's an obvious wait and see situation.

I would say wait and see IF the allegations were that he was at a dogfight or even involved once or twice...HARDLY what the allegations are. The facts are that SOMETHING was going on on his property and dogs both alive and dead were found there as well. THOSE are facts. Some may see it as Vick's first incident, but we are talking about incidents over many years, multiple offenses of the law. The fact that he lied to the commissioner only makes this evening worse. So, the commissioner who was supposed to show the public how tough he is has wimped out and showing that his crackdown is dependent on many things...a prima donna star can do MANY things more and still be playing. I think Goodell who claims he wishes the league be cleaned up has indeed soiled the image of the league with his non-actions. Shame on him!!! If he had guts, Vick would be suspended while the league investigates all of this, from the dogfighting, to his lies, to the gambling side of it all.

I think over the next few days people should make their feelings known to the NFL office on this. And yes, if you think the Commish has done the right thing, certainly let the NFL office know that.

My sense is that the NFL needs to know how the public feels on this.

The NFL public relations number is 212-450-2000.

I dont see a double standard, but thats because I see a different standard to start with.
Goodell is not concerned with showing th epublic how tough he is. His image is not at issue.
The standard is he is going to make decisions that are best for the NFL.
The image of the league has taken hits over criminal activity of players. He acts upon that. Now, he has a different situation where the league could be hurt more by Vick being out of it, than by keeping him on the field bad image and all. Goodells standard is not whether to treat all players the same, or be tough, it is to do what is best for the NFL. That makes every decision different.
You may not like the reality of it, but Goodells decisions are based on what is best for the league, not fair on anyones scale.

I don't have the desire to hunt down a link for you. But Vick met with the commissioner the day before the draft and reportedly reassured him that he had no involvement with the alleged dog fighting whatsoever and he almost never visited the property in question. It was all his bad friends and family making him look bad, and he promised to make better decisions regarding them in the future.

People need to see and appreciate the big picture.

I did read all that. I just didn't know if there was a more direct - and public - statement.

This thread has been very informative. I think we all are looking at the big picture - what is best for the game we love - but we see different ways to get there. I'm confident Vick will get what is coming to him. I just don't want to see the NFL suffer any more than it has to along the way. I think that's what everybody wants. Anyway, I've been swayed somewhat by the arguments about the players' union, etc. Still, I hope it doesn't drag on too long.

Now, he has a different situation where the league could be hurt more by Vick being out of it, than by keeping him on the field bad image and all.

Aw cripes. Here I feel like I just wrapped my brain around all the implications, and now this? Forgive my ignorance (no sarcasm, honest), but I don't get it. How is the league hurt more with Vick gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes