PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the NE/SD game still the 'real superbowl?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, like many, thought that the Packers were not as good as their record. Now I am a believer.

They should destroy the Giants on Saturday with -- surprisingly -- their running game. They remind me of that up-and-coming Denver team, lead by the ancient John Elway, that beat the more talented Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl.

They run the same "zone blocking" running scheme and they have a good running back who can take it to the house. They also have a strong-armed QB who can make all the throws. (In previous years, Favre has not been a great long ball QB...now he seems to be on fire.)

Make no mistake...IF the Pats make it to the Super Bowl, they cannot take the Packers lightly. They are the best team left in the playoffs, save for the Patriots.

But don't worry about them until after the game tomorrow. Go Pats!

No...GB beat SD this year. SD is a pretender. Other than Indy, their 8 game run is based on a weak schedule. And don't forget, Indy has a habit of losing divisional play off games at home.

---------------

GB beat San Diego by 7 points, a result of missed coverage on a secondary that was redefining itself early in the season. The Vikings game was San Diego's lowest point of the season defensively but has since turned it around after the Jags game (again, San Diego only lost by a TD).

New England beat the Ravens by a field goal, the game that your team definitely lost and a win handed to you by Billick. San Diego took pity on the Ravens and only beat them by 18 points, with a San Diego defense missing key personnel due to injury.

Don't kid yourself thinking that Sunday's game is a lock for New England.

I admire your confidence though.

---------------

GB beat San Diego by 7 points, a result of missed coverage on a secondary that was redefining itself early in the season. The Vikings game was San Diego's lowest point of the season defensively but has since turned it around after the Jags game (again, San Diego only lost by a TD).

New England beat the Ravens by a field goal, the game that your team definitely lost and a win handed to you by Billick. San Diego took pity on the Ravens and only beat them by 18 points, with a San Diego defense missing key personnel due to injury.

Don't kid yourself thinking that Sunday's game is a lock for New England.

here's the fineprint....."Pats only Beat the Chargers by 24 points in the season head-to-head matchup. Pats were up 24-0 at Half. Now that's what you call a Ass Whupping"

maybe the colts were the fraud team and not the chargers. SD got off to a rocky start, but they lost at NE, at GB, thats nothing to sneeze at but they hit real rock bottom when losing to KC the following week at home, since then they lost at Minnesota against a team just getting going and lost by a TD at Jax, which you guys should know are a solid team. You all keep saying the Chargers had an easy 8 games but lets look at the colts,

after losing at home to NE, they then lost on the road to SD. Nothing to be ashamed of in those losses.

They then beat KC at home by a FG, defeated a real tough atlanta team, beat the jags at home by a FG, destroyed the ravens, barely got by Oakland 21-14 beat the texans at home and then gave a game to Tenn, though they didnt look great in the 1st half with their starters in.

SD after losing to Jax and started their winning streak destroyed most teams with the exception of Tenn, who we came back on from 14 down in the 4th to win.

Sure the lions were bad, but 51-14 bad? Denver is a division rival, they didnt score a TD in 2 games against us. We didnt give up more than 17 pts in any game, and we rested players for 2nd halves the last 3 weeks of the season. Sure our sched was easier at the end, but we pretty much dominated the teams we were supposed to. The colts?? I dont think so. Overrated.

here's the fineprint....."Pats only Beat the Chargers by 24 points in the season head-to-head matchup. Pats were up 24-0 at Half. Now that's what you call a Ass Whupping"

--------------------

I was shocked that the score wasn't 50-0. The way the Chargers played on both sides of the ball in September they were 'lucky' to even sack Brady twice and scored more than 2 TDs.

Past is past and a 17-1 record is an awesome season.

Sorry in advance.

Last edited:
maybe the colts were the fraud team and not the chargers.

Does calling the Colts overrated really make your point? Aren't they pretty much the only good team the Chargers have beaten in their 8 game win streak?

Last edited:
Does calling the Colts overrated really make your point? Aren't they pretty much the only good team the Chargers have beaten in their 8 game win streak?

im saying SD is getting a lot of criticism for having an easy schedule and thats why they have won 8 in a row, but the colts have had an easier schedule and didnt look nearly as impressive. This should be called the real superbowl just as easy as colts pats could.

im saying SD is getting a lot of criticism for having an easy schedule and thats why they have won 8 in a row, but the colts have had an easier schedule and didnt look nearly as impressive. This should be called the real superbowl just as easy as colts pats could.

Why do you sound put off that it isn't? In another thread you made the same sort of sentiments. Does it really mean that much to you that they call the AFCCG, 'The Real Superbowl' because your team is in it? Who cares? Be glad you even made it this far.

Why do you sound put off that it isn't? In another thread you made the same sort of sentiments. Does it really mean that much to you that they call the AFCCG, 'The Real Superbowl' because your team is in it? Who cares? Be glad you even made it this far.

i dont think it should be called the real superbowl. i think the chargers should be getting respect for being the 2nd best team in the AFC this year. We were no slouches last year either. I am not glad i have made it this far. we still have 2 more wins to go.

Absolutely not.

Green Bay is a real team. This wont just be a push over match.

I agree, and with the Pat's success, and the Packers nationwide fanbase, it might very well be one of the Highest rated SB's in history.

That said, looking past the Chargers is a bad idea, Voleck or not.... every win in a row gets more statistically improbable for the Pats. I think they'll do it, but counting chickens before they hatch is simply unwise for the good luck karma gods.

not in my opinion

if IND would have playied probably i would hv replied in a different way

still, of course, this is a TOP game (Afc Championship !)

Green Bay would provide more difficulty than the Chargers.

Also remember that Green Bay beat the Chargers in the regular season.

That was in Green Bay, early in the season, before the Chargers got their act together. The Chargers would handle GB on a neutral field.

Green Bay is looking great right now.
Hard hitting secondary that can play physical and cover as well as anybody with Woodson, Bigby, & Harris.
Grant is running very well.
Their d-line goes 7 deep.
Favre is still Favre, he could throw 3 picks, but he can easily throw 4 td's.

I don't think this week's AFCCG is the 'super bowl', by any means.

I'm sure alot of people thought that the Rams and the Greatest Show on Turf had their "real superbowl" in their NFC Championship game too, but look how that turned out as we won our first superbowl against those heavy favorites. I certainly believe that we will be the strong favorites this time if we make it to the Superbowl again, but there's a reason we play the game. I guarantee that the NFC representative for the superbowl isn't just going to lay down for the AFC team. This team knows better than to overlook anyone unlike some of the fans, and that's what the humble pie is for. lol. I expect a great game against SD too. Go Pats!!!

Last edited:
---------------

Don't kid yourself thinking that Sunday's game is a lock for New England

See, the funny thing is you have to make excuses as to why your team lost the games it did, and justify the margins. The Pats are 17-0, so there are 0 things to make excuses for.
Face it, you're a sheep of the media if you truly believe the 'best team over the last 8 games' hype.
The best thing SD has going for it, and they truly are big advantages, is their turnover differential, and they're potential on special teams.

Yes it is.

If the Chargers win, they'll win the Super Bowl, especially with the two weeks of rest. Defense is too good. Offense can score points. They've been the best team in the NFL over the last 8 weeks.

Farve or Manning would throw 3 picks in that game.

Yup. :rolleyes:

The Colts aren't the second best team in the NFL. They've shown the last half of the season that they can't run the ball and that their defense was nothing but a bunch of paper tigers.

The Packers are a very good team with balance on offense and a strong pass defense (can rush the passer and have a good secondary). They are the second best team in the NFL (behind the Patriots) and would beat the Chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back