PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the MVP race open again? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, really have a problem with this. Why doesn't Brees get credit for working hard and being accurate?

Brees has the best pressure rating for a QB for a while. Currently #1 at 67.9% completions with 128 pressures . Rogers is second with 66% with 89 pressures. Brady was #1 last year. Every offense in the NFL has a blitz drop off. How does making the right desission, or fooling the defense on a blitz hurt his accuracy ?

Nevermind him....he will have no problem using the same argument for Brady when people say Brady only dinks and dunks.

One question....who gives a sh!t?

bress just may take the MVP i say the packers lose one more game

Pretty sure Brady doesn't. Maybe Brees and Rodgers do since they haven't got one you know and Brees was robbed by Manning.

I think Brees cares and feels bad about it, not going to lie about that. He hasn't been accepted for most of his career as being good enough , tall enough , athletic enough, good arm. He just dosnt talk about it, but its there I'm sure, as a man. Maybe thats what drives him. But I think it would bother any guy. I mean, what do you have to do to be recognized ? he already did it in 2008, 2009.

anyone that quotes #"s that Rogers or Brees has above QB rating, or numbers over Brady or other QB's,, well where was that a indication of MVP when Brees out performed Manning sense 2007 ?

I don't like it or want it, as a fan, but Brady should be above Brees this year, and knowing Jenkins impact , Id say Brady should be front runner, and it kind of disappoints me to say, but Brees shouldn't get an award because he was slighted ,its who deserves it. That mistake has already been made.

Last edited:
bress just may take the MVP i say the packers lose one more game

The biggest winner of the Chiefs/Packers game was not KC......it was Detroit

It looks likely that since the 19-0 quest is over,many starters for GB will now sit out the last game upon earning HFA which will open the door for Detroit to back their way into the playoffs as the 6 seed.....otherwise the Lions probably have no chance.

I dont think the MVP race is open for brady, but it may be open for brees (and if its not brady i'll be happy if it was brees, although i dont have any prob with rodgers, just because manning stole it from brees in 09') but i dont think any QB this season can match with Aaron rodgers season, he was and still is amazing.
one loss dosnt make the whole race upside down.

Last edited:

It looks likely that since the 19-0 quest is over,many starters for GB will now sit out the last game upon earning HFA which will open the door for Detroit to back their way into the playoffs as the 6 seed.....otherwise the Lions probably have no chance.

i agree that's why i think Bress will win the MVP Aaron Rodgers wont play much in the last game and Bress is going to put up crazy numbers

It's still Rodgers to lose and I think that's fair; if the Pack ends up 15--1, there's really no way to deny it to him. And, if we're looking ahead to a possible SB matchup, that works in our favor karma wise as no League MVP has won the SB since Kurt Warner in 1999.

Brees has put up some big numbers against weak teams as others have observed. Brady is so good that people just yawn when he isn't putting up 50 TD's (07) or throwing up only four picks all season (10).

Gronk has gotten himself on the MVP radar screen this year, so maybe another time.

:confused:

The Lions are 9-5, as are the Falcons, and they're at home for their game against the Chargers this week. After them, the next wild card contending team is 7-7 (Cowboys lead their division at 8-8). How does that give the Lions 'no chance' without GB resting players?

The Lions and Falcons only need to go 1-1 the final two weeks no matter what anybody else does to earn their wild card slots and they have no shot at their divisions. Granted the Lions could lose to the Chargers and need the last game but SD is a different team on the road and the Lions very tough at home.

Barring an awful game, Aaron Rodgers is still the MVP. However, I think this week, he lost the unanimous selection he was on track for. I mean a guy that shatters Marino's passing record while shattering his own completion % and throwing ~40tds has to get some 1st place votes.

Brady and brees can catch him If rodgers sits the last game and half of the next game.

:confused:

The Lions are 9-5, as are the Falcons, and they're at home for their game against the Chargers this week. After them, the next wild card contending team is 7-7 (Cowboys lead their division at 8-8). How does that give the Lions 'no chance' without GB resting players?

My prediction is that SD beats Detroit,so my post is the assumption that Detroit goes to 9-6 by the end of next week and going 9-7 is no guarantee.

Yes,If Detroit does win againSt SD....then they are all but in the playoffs regardless

Just something tells me Detroit is not yet ready for the postseason and will lay a clunker at home but may luck out at GB

If the season ended today, I still think Rogers would and should win it, but Brees is close enough that, depending on what happens the next 2 weeks, I could see him pulling it out.

At this time I think that Rodgers is still the MVP, but the remaining 2 weeks are going to be interesting because the Packer OL has had huge problems with 2 out of 5 starters down. Now it's 3 out of 5 with Bulaga out this week, plus their 1st year RT Sherrod just broke his leg. Rodgers is going to have the time of his life against Julius Peppers. I predict Packers will run a lot and throw lots of short quick passes. If they don't they're crazy.

Packer OL will probably be in a lot better shape come playoff time, but for now it's ouch.

That could tip things in Brees' favor.

Rodgers, Brees and Brady have all had exceptional seasons, and Brees shattering Marino's record is certainly something to consider but if the Pack go 15-1 I would give it to Rodgers because of record and I would take his 6 picks over Brees yards totals. 2 games to go, some things could still change, should be interesting.

From Football Outsiders:
The loss to Kansas City also meant that the argument that Aaron Rodgers is having the best quarterback season in NFL history took a hit. Rodgers has fallen behind Drew Brees and Tom Brady in passing DYAR, and while Green Bay still leads the league in passing DVOA, the Packers are now behind New England and New Orleans in total offensive DVOA. Their current pass offense DVOA of 66.0% would end the season as the fourth-best ever, behind the 2007 Patriots, 2010 Patriots, and 2004 Colts. Rodgers' total of 50 DYAR this week is lower than any one game that Peyton Manning had in his 2004 season, except for the Week 17 game he barely played in.

and

Green Bay's run at perfection masked the fact that the NFL is full of parity this year. With DVOA of 25.8%, the Packers are the lowest-rated team to rank number one after Week 15 during the DVOA Era.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Week 15 DVOA Ratings

Brady & Brees both lead Rodgers in DYAR. Rodgers has the lead in DVOA.

It's worth noting that Brady had a better pass EPA even going into this week than Rodgers, according to ESPN's QBR, if you can buy into that.

On advancednflstats.com, another site with metrics, both Brady and Brees have higher success rates than Rodgers. Brady leads them both in Win Probability Added. Rodgers leads in Expected Points Added/Play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back