PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

is the Media sleeping on our defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best I have read from someone "The Seahawks are 11-1 in their last 12 games and are giving up just 12.7 points per game during that stretch. But let's look at the quarterbacks they faced during that stretch along with their QB ranking
  1. Aaron Rodgers (2)
  2. Eli Manning (7)
  3. Mark Sanchez (15)
  4. Cam Newton (twice; 16)
  5. Colin Kaepernick (twice; 17)
  6. Alex Smith (23)
  7. Derek Carr (26)
  8. Drew Stanton (not in top 30)
  9. Ryan Lindley (not in top 30)
  10. Shaun Hill (not in top 30)
In those 12 games, they faced two top-10 quarterbacks, both at home. Against the New York Giants, the Seahawks scored 38 points and they should have lost the game against Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers."

Bottom line is the Seahawks played bad teams with poor QBs including the 7-9 Panthers in their 1st playoff game and then should have been beaten by the Packers with a hobbled Rogers if it were not for the total incompetence of the Packers coaching and some crazy bad luck. I know past performance does not indicate future results but this is not the mighty Seahawks of last year nor the finesse Patriots of the last few years. I am actually thinking though it may start close, the Patriots will win in a beatdown.

Bottom line is the Seahawks played bad teams with poor QBs including the 7-9 Panthers in their 1st playoff game and then should have been beaten by the Packers with a hobbled Rogers if it were not for the total incompetence of the Packers coaching and some crazy bad luck. I know past performance does not indicate future results but this is not the mighty Seahawks of last year nor the finesse Patriots of the last few years. I am actually thinking though it may start close, the Patriots will win in a beatdown.

You can only play who is on your schedule. I remember pats fans saying that same thing when people were using the weak schedule angle against them. Also, people were saying that about the ravens... And look what happened there.

I do think Belichick can use the fact that everyone is talking about only ONE defense in this game. They are getting absolutely no respect. None. Zero. A defense that held Manning to 21 (in a blow out game), Luck to 20, Rivers to 14. And Wilson will get 28-35?

I think they should be pissed.

I do think Belichick can use the fact that everyone is talking about only ONE defense in this game. They are getting absolutely no respect. None. Zero. A defense that held Manning to 21 (in a blow out game), Luck to 20, Rivers to 14. And Wilson will get 28-35?

I think they should be pissed.

With that said, it if they can't stop the run, this could be a long day. It all come down to that. Control the line and make Wilson pass to beat you. If he can, great, they deserve it.

We scored 14 and 17 in the last two Super Bowls against the Giants. Their defense is nowhere near as good as Seattle's defense. 30+???. Highly, highly doubtful unless ST and defensive touchdowns.

That Giants defense had 4 elite pass rushers and the Patriots really only had Welker as the short route receiver.

Now the Patriots have a beefy RB, use a6th OL on the line, have the best TE in the game, and 3 receivers taht can run short routes.

I am not saying the results will be different, but the personnel is very different this time around for the Patriots.

That and the Seattle pass rush is not the Giants.

Style of play, strengths and weaknesses matter too though. The Giants interior d-line was beastly, Brady has long had issues with teams that can bullrush the pocket, they got pressure off the edge but also straight up the gut and that's where Brady gets derailed. The Jets have given him fits too, for the same reason.

Seattle's defense starts in the secondary; their front 7 are good, and Bennett and Avril could present some issues, but their defense is so good because their secondary is fast, talented and fierce. If the Pats O-line can give Brady time he'll find open men, as he did in 2012, it's that simple.

30+ might be pushing it, we'll see, but I'd honestly rather face this Seattle D then one constructed like the Giants or Jets.
And in addition we have a healthy gronk.

That Giants defense had 4 elite pass rushers and the Patriots really only had Welker as the short route receiver.

Now the Patriots have a beefy RB, use a6th OL on the line, have the best TE in the game, and 3 receivers taht can run short routes.

I am not saying the results will be different, but the personnel is very different this time around for the Patriots.

That and the Seattle pass rush is not the Giants.
I think we are going to score alot. Gronk makes a huge sifference. And Seattles pass rush is nothing like the Giants was.

I think we are going to score alot. Gronk makes a huge sifference. And Seattles pass rush is nothing like the Giants was.

I certainly believe the possibility is there for the Patriots to blow the Seahawks out. However, I am nervous about this game. The Patriots could turn the ball over and it could all slip away.

I could care less, but I'll play along anyway. The media is sleeping on everything about this team because they'd rather talk about air pressure. Most of them don't even want us in this game, so do you really expect that they'd be talking about much of what NE does well. To them cheating is what NE does best. Whatever.

Our D shut down better offenses….. but momentum and field position can change a lot of things.

I just hope our defense isn't sleeping on this defense, unlike the Ravens game.

I just hope our defense isn't sleeping on this defense, unlike the Ravens game.
That game was an anomaly. The Patriots defense has been great for most of the season and especially in the second half of the season. Other than the Bills game where they were resting players, did the D allow a second half touchdown at all in the second half of the season? The D will be fine so long as they can stop the run. They've faced far more complex offenses this season, IMHO. I'm not saying it's going to be easy by any measure, but I think the Pats will be okay.

That game was an anomaly. The Patriots defense has been great for most of the season and especially in the second half of the season. Other than the Bills game where they were resting players, did the D allow a second half touchdown at all in the second half of the season? The D will be fine so long as they can stop the run. They've faced far more complex offenses this season, IMHO. I'm not saying it's going to be easy by any measure, but I think the Pats will be okay.
They didn't allow a touchdown in the Bills game in the second half.

You can only play who is on your schedule. I remember pats fans saying that same thing when people were using the weak schedule angle against them. Also, people were saying that about the ravens... And look what happened there.

Well, he not suggesting that the Seahawks play side games just to prove their mettle is he? :)

His point is about matching those Ws and stats against the quality of the opponents.

I think CHFF has us 6-3 against quality opponents and them at 5-2.

My only worry about our defense is against the run, if the Ravens can put yards on them (Forsett 129) I think Seattle has some success also. Just have to limit it.

We scored 14 and 17 in the last two Super Bowls against the Giants. Their defense is nowhere near as good as Seattle's defense. 30+???. Highly, highly doubtful unless ST and defensive touchdowns.
Sure, but there's some fairly significant differences. The Giants, particularly in 2007 slowed the game to something like 8 possessions. That's a very low number. It wasn't even that the patriots scored much less per possession than normal, they just got fewer opportunities. The low score was partly on the offense, but also on the fact that the defense allowed long slow drives the entire game so they only saw the ball around twice per quarter.

I think it's far more likely we see a more typical 12-14 possession game. Seattle isn't a great offense, and I can't see them sustaining 5-8 minute drives every possession vs this defense. That means Brady gets more opportunities (and Wilson). I think a 25 point or more score is likely. We'll see.

Everybody is talking about how the Patriots will have trouble with Wilson running or throwing on the run. I just want to point out that Luck is very dangerous doing both of those things and the Patriots ate him up. Nevermind that the Colts have a much better group of WRs.

Now, the thing about the Seahawks offense is that it has a mediocre group of WRs that match up poorly with the Patriots secondary. This means the Patriots can put 8 in the box and still shut down the Seattle receiving core.

Lynch will be stopped, Russel will not be able to run with the ball or throw it.

Seattle's only chance at winning this game is predicated on turnovers by the Patriots giving Seattle a short field.

The thing is the Pats' contain rush works on guys like Luck and Wilson who both struggle more when they are forced to throw from the pocket than on the run. That is why Luck gets blown out by the Pats every time. It is rushing QBs like Aaron Rodgers who is just as dangerous in the pocket as on the run who can beat the Pats with that type of rush.

I think the Pats' defense is built to stop Wilson. Lynch could be a problem, but with the lack of receiving options for the Seahawks, it will allow the Pats to play more base and keep Chung closer to the line for run support. The Pats only need three guys in coverage with Revis taking his man alone (most likely Baldwin) and a CB and McCourty on the other guy.

They also put up 32 points on a Carolina defense that was substantially better for their regular season than either Giant defense. It seems reasonable to suggest that NE might have scored more than 17 with a healthy Gronk, no? Particularly since they were a drop away from scoring 24 without him?

It's all about match ups. This Seattle defense isn't any better by nearly every metric than the 2004 Steeler team that NE slapped a 40-burger on.

Just watching NFL Network — Irvin was answering a viewer question of whether Brady is the best QB of all time. He said if Brady gets his fourth ring tomorrow you might have to say he is. Sapp chimed in : "If he wins a fourth .. with this defense? ...I might have to agree with you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes