PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the competitive advantage gained from BB's secrecy on injuries worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamafist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Ok, so, obviously Belichick thinks there's some competitive advantage to keeping everyone completely in the dark about injuries, or else he wouldn't do it.

But then again, if there's one area where BB hasn't always shown the best judgement, it's deciding what methods of acquiring a competitive edge are worth the possible consequences. (You know, like taping the opposing defense's hand signals.)

So, in the case of Belichick's policy of total secrecy regarding injuries, is the juice worth the squeeze? Here are the pros and cons as I see them -- feel free to point out more.

Pros: Opposing coaches have a harder time figuring out who's going to play, and who's going to sit. Opposing players know less about how to take advantage of, or re-aggravate, the injury. Players who do not wish to talk about their injuries can deflect inquiries to BB.

Cons: The fans are kept in the dark as well, even in situations like this one where there's no hiding the nature of the injury from opposing players, and coaches will get an idea of when Mayo will be back in games by when he starts practicing again. It makes the media's job more difficult, and allows bad sources, like the one who gave Curran the line about Brady's knee, to spread their disinformation. It can also mean more of an invasion of privacy into the players' lives, as the press isn't getting information through proper channels. Lastly, when the fans and press don't know that a struggling player is playing through injury, it can irrevocably damage the relationship between the player and the town & organization.

Ok, so, obviously Belichick thinks there's some competitive advantage to keeping everyone completely in the dark about injuries, or else he wouldn't do it.

But then again, if there's one area where BB hasn't always shown the best judgement, it's deciding what methods of acquiring a competitive edge are worth the possible consequences. (You know, like taping the opposing defense's hand signals.)

So, in the case of Belichick's policy of total secrecy regarding injuries, is the juice worth the squeeze? Here are the pros and cons as I see them -- feel free to point out more.

Pros: Opposing coaches have a harder time figuring out who's going to play, and who's going to sit. Opposing players know less about how to take advantage of, or re-aggravate, the injury. Players who do not wish to talk about their injuries can deflect inquiries to BB.

Cons: The fans are kept in the dark as well, even in situations like this one where there's no hiding the nature of the injury from opposing players, and coaches will get an idea of when Mayo will be back in games by when he starts practicing again. It makes the media's job more difficult, and allows bad sources, like the one who gave Curran the line about Brady's knee, to spread their disinformation. It can also mean more of an invasion of privacy into the players' lives, as the press isn't getting information through proper channels. Lastly, when the fans and press don't know that a struggling player is playing through injury, it can irrevocably damage the relationship between the player and the town & organization.

The pros you list relate to competitive issues. The cons relate to your desire to be informed. I think you've answered your own question.

Short answer is yes.. the argument you are making has to do with fans, not players, not organizations, not coaches or anything else...

Do you propose coming out with something definitive to appease the public, by putting the Patriots at a distinct disadvantage??.. if everyone played this game correctly, it would be different.. but the Jets last year hid a Favre injury, it happens all the time. It is not correct, but it is part of the game..

The Media has a responsibility to only report facts, not what they think..

The pros you list relate to competitive issues. The cons relate to your desire to be informed. I think you've answered your own question.

Was going to post more or less the same thing. The listed cons are just PR.

Since we're talking competitive advantage, I'd say only the con in bold is relevant. The fact that the fans and media are left curious doesn't effect the balance of power on the field. So then you're left balancing the possibility of player's feeling bitter over unfair media coverage with the possibility of opposing teams scheming against and attempting to aggravate players' injuries. To me, the latter is the bigger risk.

The team having a competitive advantage to win the game, or we the fans having more information to read and talk about on message boards and sports talk radio.

Stating what should be the obvious choice, I'll take the win on Sunday.

There's not a single "Con" to keeping injury issues secret that I can think of, so long as the team meets the minimum standards required by the league in order to avoid being penalized.

Last edited:
Since we're talking competitive advantage, I'd say only the con in bold is relevant. The fact that the fans and media are left curious doesn't effect the balance of power on the field. So then you're left balancing the possibility of player's feeling bitter over unfair media coverage with the possibility of opposing teams scheming against and attempting to aggravate players' injuries. To me, the latter is the bigger risk.

But why are we only talking about competitive advantage?

The ultimate mission of the Patriots organization is to provide a satisfying entertainment product to the consumers -- namely, the fans. How we feel matters.

Now obviously, the best way to supply us with a satisfying product is to field a team that wins games + championships. If the price of that is a sometimes frustrating experience along the way, I think the vast majority of us would agree that it's totally worth it.

So my question is, how much of an advantage do you think we really get? How many games has it swung? Has it swung any championships? How much of a dividend are we getting, exactly, on our frustration? And how much, in your mind, is necessary to make it worth it?

But why are we only talking about competitive advantage?

The ultimate mission of the Patriots organization is to provide a satisfying entertainment product to the consumers -- namely, the fans. How we feel matters.

Now obviously, the best way to supply us with a satisfying product is to field a team that wins games + championships. If the price of that is a sometimes frustrating experience along the way, I think the vast majority of us would agree that it's totally worth it.

So my question is, how much of an advantage do you think we really get? How many games has it swung? Has it swung any championships? How much of a dividend are we getting, exactly, on our frustration? And how much, in your mind, is necessary to make it worth it?

"Dividend on our frustration"? Please tell me that you're kidding with this.

Also, is there no middle ground?

In this instance, with Mayo, there's no real way to keep it a total secret. You could see the knee being sprained, and we know he didn't come back to the game. At this point, how advantage do we get from keeping the degree of the sprain a secret? How much does giving the fans a tentative timetable help opposing teams?

Whether it's worth it or not, if it helps in the slightest BB is going to use it. Why wouldn't he

You want to quantify the results of this, it is not going to happen.. last year Mayo, it is reported now, that he could not lift his arm above his shoulder.. if that was leaked, do you think everyone would play nice in a pile??...

I understand my role as a fan here, and am proud to be a fan of the Pats.. if they deem it necessary to keep something quiet to gain a competitive edge, so be it.. as long as the product on the field on Sunday is a very good product..

Winning is everything, the value of disclosing information on injuries is not all that important to this long time fan...

You are asking questions that no one can answer, bottom line is that this is a winning franchise that plays within the rules of the NFL.. not a franchise that seeks to continually appease the fans and the press.

"Dividend on our frustration"? Please tell me that you're kidding with this.

Please tell me, why are you always the first poster to get snotty and obnoxious, and inject lame posturing into what is otherwise a rational discourse?

Please tell me, why are you always the first poster to get snotty and obnoxious, and inject lame posturing into what is otherwise a rational discourse?

Quite simply, the thread is pretty obnoxious and deserves this type of response.. take it or leave it.

Ok, so, obviously Belichick thinks there's some competitive advantage to keeping everyone completely in the dark about injuries, or else he wouldn't do it..

Actually, Belichick has said several times that the reason he doesn't disclose any more information than the injury report requires is that he believes it is a violation of the player's right to privacy, and HIPAA.

That being said, he pretty much follows the injury report rules to the letter.

You spelled llama wrong.

The one-L lama, he's a priest: The two-L llama, he's a beast: And I would bet a silk pyjama: There isn't any three-L lllama.

No it is not. The Pats mission statement is published. Go find it and learn.

I would appreciate it if you would link it to me.

Don't be ridiculous.

Awww. But I like being ridiculous.

Although in this case I'm not. At all. We are the consumer. How we feel is the business' bottom line.

Because hes not capable of providing substance.

Yes - I think it's worth it. Drives me crazy though, lol.

Quite simply, the thread is pretty obnoxious and deserves this type of response.. take it or leave it.

Obnoxious? Really? How so?

If you're not interested by the topic up for discussion, you are free to not post in the thread. If you disagree with an opinion being expressed, you are free to express your own -- as you did, articulately, and without resorting to meaningless posturing, in your 1st response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes