PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the 4 game lead in the division in week 5 a record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In my 35 years of being a football fan I cannot remember when ANY NFL team has had a 4 game lead at the end of week 5.

Of course a 5 game lead is the best that can be, but has any other leading division team had this kind of gap edge this early - Has any NFL team ever gone 5-0 while the rest of the division teams were 0-5? - I doubt it

I have not looked at the interdivision east matchups down the road but just how wide can the gap get between NE and the others?,Obviously interdivional matchups between the bottom 3 AFC east teams will matter as to who stays even with thier deficit in the east while the others drop down even more,Of course this is going by the potential that NE will win several more in a row in the upcoming weeks.

I guess it would take a bit of time to figure this out

If anyone here has some time to check on this how early can NE possibly win the division if they continue to win and how far the gap can widen between NE and the second place team?

I dont know, if you asked BB the answer would be:

It doesn't matter.

If you asked a player, the answer would be:

We cant spend any time worrying about what other teams do, we need to focus on what we do. If we play well, we're going to win games. We can't control how the other teams in the division play.

Seriously though...I think it might be. I dont feel like doing the research to figure it out (as you dont either). But D&C were saying after game 1 that we clinched the division...There really was no doubt we'd be on top, its just that ppl were expecting everyone else to be as bad as they are.

4 games is the most it can be right now, actually. There have already been some div games (jets lost to buffalo for example) so barring ties, some afc east team had to have a win along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes