PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the #2 seed the easier path?

I think JarofMayo has hit the BottleofSauce

I think that we could potentially end up anywhere from 12-4 to 10-6, possibly even 9-7 if they fix some major issues, so I can actually respect Jar of Mayo's thoughts even if I don't necessarily fully agree with him.

This team has a lot of unknowns at the moment. They could potentially compete for the AFC title, or they could have a hard time getting in as a WC. A loss to the Dolphins on Sunday would make a huge difference, so I can definitely understand where he's coming from.

Take a look at our ridiculously low offensive woes. Ryan Allen is on pace to punt almost 100 times this year. In comparison the most the Pats have ever punted was 103 when they went 2-14....We definitely have a lot of offensive problems at the moment that need addressing. The 2013 rush defense is currently ranked 31st out of 32 teams, giving up an average of 127 yds per game. Since Wilfork went down they've been giving up around 150 yds per game on the ground. That is definitely very concerning.

Only time will tell which way they turn.

Winning the next 2 games before the bye would be HUGE in my opinion, as we'd be sitting at 7-2 at the break, on pace to get some key players back (assuming that we don't lose any more to take their places).

the chiefs might not be as good as 8-0 suggests but they're obviously for real. the only reason so many people think otherwise is that 90% of "analysts" and 95% of fans continue to naysay any team whose defense is better than its offense, even though they have repeatedly been proven wrong.

So far the Chiefs opponents have a combined record of 15-33...so until they beat a team like San Diego or Denver....I say its a mirage,Chiefs are a 10-6 team IMO
And Denver's opponents record is 18-30, but they lost one of those games, so the record of opponents they actually beat is 13-28.

They both have 1 win against an over-.500 team, Dallas. They've both beat Jax, Oak, NYG and Philly. Denver beat Balt, KC beat TN and Hou.

the chiefs might not be as good as 8-0 suggests but they're obviously for real. the only reason so many people think otherwise is that 90% of "analysts" and 95% of fans continue to naysay any team whose defense is better than its offense, even though they have repeatedly been proven wrong.

The 7-0 Chiefs look great on defense, but they have absolutely zero offensive weapons whatsoever aside from Jamaal Charles, who normally gets about 80 or so yards on the ground and another 4-5 catches out of the backfield. They paid 10+ million this year for Dwayne Bowe, only to completely waste him in that offense where Alex Smith wouldn't throw the ball more than 5-10 yds downfield to save his own life.

They look practically unbeatable at home in Arrowhead, which has always been a relatively difficult place to play even when they sucked. On the road however, they are not quite the same. They have had some tough, close games--such as last week's 17-16 squeaker vs the pathetic Texans and their backup QB (minus both Andre Johnson and Arian Foster at some points).

I think they'll be extremely competitive down the stretch with that defense, but the concern is that they just can't come from behind or score any points.

Obviously, their fate lies within the division. If they can defeat the Broncos and Chargers in 3/4 games, they may be in very good shape. We'll all be rooting for this to happen of course.

I dont care what seed. As long as they win division

lmao. 5-2. Leading our division, our playoff seeding still very much in the Patriots' control.

"not a playoff team"

Quick, someone tell that to the 2007/2011 Giants.

This is a team that will get better as the season wears on. Already the rookie receivers are showing a lot of promise and when Gronk, Amendola, Collie, Vereen, Edelman are all on the field together it's going to be tough to cover.

Some key injuries, no doubt, but I'm excited about our rookie DTs and what we can get from our rookie pass rushers.

People saying this isn't a playoff team are just more 2007 spoiled brats.

It is laughable. Can you imagine if the Pats were suffering like the Steelers, or Giants or Texans? What exactly is "playoff caliber" in the NFL right now, if not 5-2? Is the perceived reality that the Pats have to knock out opponents for the win to be credible? Parcells aptly stated "You are what your record says you are." There is no Mortal Kombat "flawless victory" in football. There are 8 teams in the NFL at 5-2 or better. That sounds pretty playoffish to me.

There are so many damaged teams in the NFL right now that it is impossible to claim what a playoff team might look like. What you have is the record, and neither loss was a blowout loss. As the Giants have shown twice, what really matters is the team going into the playoffs. All the problems of mid and early season issues mean little if the product at the end of the season is ready to rock. With all the moving pieces on this team right now, you need a crystal ball to predict what that finished product might look like. What you have is a win-loss record. That is about as intelligent as ripping on the undefeated Donkeys as a weak undefeated team. Or the Hawks as dysfunctional and ready to come off the rails. Both are great teams - right now. Let's see what survives for the playoffs to see what type of playoff team either might be.

So far the Chiefs opponents have a combined record of 15-33...so until they beat a team like San Diego or Denver....I say its a mirage,Chiefs are a 10-6 team IMO

Unless Peyton gets injured I think Denver is well on their way to the #1 seed

I think they are for real. That defense is definitely for real. The offense will get somewhat exposed but Alex Smith won't hurt them with bad turnovers. And in football you can win with just adequate offense and great defense. I'm seeing 12-4 for the Chiefs. Maybe 13-3 if they can extend their hot streak.

If I had to guess from today the AFC seeding will be #1 Denver #2 KC #3 New England.

With our remaining schedule and the fact that the Donkeys and chefs will be battling it out all year, I see the Colts walking into the playoffs with the number one seed. Grigs has done an excellent job putting this team together in two years. Offense, Defense and special teams have been solid and with Luck just getting better each week, we will be a force to be reckoned with come January.:)

Um, it is October. I do not believe you can even guess at what the path looks like.

The 2013 Chiefs are about as scary as the 2008 Titans.

Does it get easier than #1 seed? Does it get easier than home field advantage in the AFCCG? What is up with this hoping for an easier route? That hasn't worked.

My gut tells me the hard route is the way to go. Look at who has been winning the actual Super Bowls in recent years. Being in a lot of close games and having to gut out wins and not having any chance whatsoever to get over confident seems to be working lately with the teams that win the titles.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back