PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the #1 seed worth risking further injury to Brady?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Risk playing Brady for the #1 seed?

• Yes,the #1 seed is worth the risk

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No,it's not worth the risk,#2 seed wouldn't be that bad

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
"You play to win the game" ;)

and that's starting #12

The Ravens are 8-0 at home and they have lost 4 to weak teams on the road, why would anyone want to play them in Baltimore?

hopefully two and a half quarters of Tom Brady will be enough to take a solid lead, and then he can rest all the way until the divisional round.

I'm still trying to figure out why people are so high on the Ravens..

We should go with Hoyer ... would be better for Brady to rest and would be better for Hoyer and the team if we really need him in a playoff game. I don't see how the Bill's could even prepare for Hoyer ... it would take them at least a quarter or more to adjust.

Last edited:

Yeah....I guess it's the recent history they have with us. And their D is still pretty scary. I, for one, would love to play the Ravens at home and get some well deserved playoff revenge.

I assume if Brady starts, it's because he's ok. He is the one who will decide if it's worth the risk or not.

No.

That's why there are coaches. Competitive pros will always think they are ready to play. They need to be held out by people who are more objective.

Not saying Brady should be kept out, just disagreeing with your reasoning.

Yeah....I guess it's the recent history they have with us. And their D is still pretty scary. I, for one, would love to play the Ravens at home and get some well deserved playoff revenge.

Honestly, I think they live on reputation as much as the Pats do sometimes. Their defense, while better than 95% of the league, is no where dominant as the 2000 defense, and teams have been able to consistently move the ball on them even outside the SD fiasco.

Football players play football.

They don't depending on how serious the injury they suffered in the last game was and whether or not we can make a deep playoff run without them. :rocker:

Honestly, I think they live on reputation as much as the Pats do sometimes. Their defense, while better than 95% of the league, is no where dominant as the 2000 defense, and teams have been able to consistently move the ball on them even outside the SD fiasco.

Oh yeah. I agree with you there. They still have all their big name players on D. I think a lot of it too is the respect they have with the players in the league. They've consistently gotten it done year in and year out even though they may not be as dominant.

I've been wondering the past few weeks whether it would be more of an advantage to have the Pats finish with the #2 seed in order to avoid what I am guessing is the likelihood of the #1 seed having to play #5 (which will be either Pittsburgh or Baltimore) in the divisional round and then having to play the other in the AFCCG, and for a while I had myself convinced that the Pats were better off with the #2 seed to avoid this scenario. The more I thought about it, however, the more I came to believe that:

(1) The Pats are going to win on offense, and in spite of their defense, and given their shaky starts the past few games, they would be hurting themselves to "take the foot off the accelarator" this week and then have the bye next week, I think they need to keep their offensive rhythm together as much as possible right now.

(2) I think the way the Pats are playing on offense this year, they need the home field, more so in comparison to Pittsburgh's crappy turf than Baltimore's, but I think it is a very important factor for them against either of those two teams.

(3) While I agree with the idea that it would be great if they could avoid playing Pittsburgh and Baltimore in consecutive weeks, but I think Houston's defense is just about as good as Pitt's or Balt's (I just don't see the AFC West winner beating Houston, even with TJ Yates), and so with the Pats defense in its current state, I'd rather have the home field against any of those three teams than I would to lose the possible home field in the AFCCG.

So, I'm firmly in the "play Brady" camp and in fact I'd prefer to see him play well into the 3rd quarter at least, and only leave the game if the Pats have a huge lead by that point.

Plus what happens if the Texans lose round 1 as they very likely might?

In that case in round 2, #2 seed NE likely hosts Baltimore/Pittsburgh, and if they win that then they go on the road for the AFCCG in the remainder of Baltimore/Pittsburgh.

#2 seed is no guarantee of avoiding playing both Baltimore and Pittsburgh, but the #1 seed DOES guarantee homefield throughout.

Ed Reed,Ray Lewis,Terrell Suggs,Haloti Ngata bring a few reasons to respect the Ravens.

And Ray Rice seems to up his game in the playoffs...he is one dangerous back to try and contain.

The Ravens defense and it's running game are not good match ups for the Pats.

Yeah,they lost several games to scrub teams,but so did GB last year...the playoffs are a different animal.

If you are a Pats fan,you hope they get beat in the divisional round.

Play Belichick in this one....

Brady obviously will never let anyone know how much he is hurting because he is a trooper but it's obvious he is having some pain.

Would you risk more injury to Brady by playing him in this game with Mankins and possibly Light out just to gather the #1 seed?...or play Hoyer who might not pull out a victory and end up at #2?

It's possible the Pats can still win without Brady,but the odds go way down.

Number 1 seed is our way to the SB. (Especially since Bengals are beating Ravens, then Houston, and then coming to us. We are beat Bengals, then Steelers. both at home)

11-5
9-7
12-4
11-4 (12-4 if they beat the Bengals, a team they thumped earlier in the year)

Their recent records have been mostly solid. They beat the hell out of the Patriots when they last faced them in the playoffs. They took the Patriots into overtime last regular season, and both those games were played at Gillette.

It would be foolish to ignore the Ravens as a serious threat.

11-5
9-7
12-4
11-4 (12-4 if they beat the Bengals, a team they thumped earlier in the year)

Their recent records have been mostly solid. They beat the hell out of the Patriots when they last faced them in the playoffs. They took the Patriots into overtime last regular season, and both those games were played at Gillette.

It would be foolish to ignore the Ravens as a serious threat.

Let me start by sayng that YES....you absolutely start Brady. First round Bye AND home field advantage throughout is BIG. You don't pass that up. I really don't think Brady is as dinged up as the media is spinning it. We'll see, but my guess is he's fine, starts against Buffalo, and the Pats get it done.

Also, you'd be out of your mind to NOT respect the Ravens. Their offense, although sometimes appearing "vanilla", is AT LEAST slightly above average, and sometimes great when Ray Rice gets rolling. Their defense, while not quite as dominant as in the past, is still made up of smashmouth thugs. These guys hit hard from whistle to whistle. Coming out of a game against the Ravens D with no injuries is almost a miracle.

One point I don't agree on is when you say the Ravens "thumped" Cincy earlier in the season. That game was close. Baltimore won by 7 points. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Bengals play their way into a Wild Card this week. The motivation is certainly there. They lose and they're out. They win and they're in. Baltimore, of course, will want that first round BYE, but they're in regardless and in the back of their mind they know it. No Boldin against a pretty good Cincy D and a Bengals team that has the highest of motivation, ON THE ROAD....this game spells trouble for the Ratbirds. Honestly, as a Steelers fan, as much as I'd love to see them get that 1 or 2 seed and the first round Bye (wow, do they ever need it!), I say screw it. Let the cards fall where they may and let's play some damn playoff football!

The fact of the matter is, I'd say it's highly unlikely that the Pats won't have to face either the ravens or the Steelers...possibly both. Both teams present a problem for the Pats, maybe moreso Pittsburgh since they have the offensive weapons to exploit your weak defense. I like how the playoffs are shaping up, and I think there's going to be some AWESOME games in the next few week.

Best of luck to your Pats. Hope we meet in the playoffs. :rocker:

This is indeed the question.

If the extra week's rest is expected to make him healthier for the playoffs, I'm all for it. I think that Hoyer gives us a solid chance to win.

On the other hand, if Brady simply has aches and pains that will take the off-season to heal, then let him play. I'm sure he'll want to play.

Can't play scared. Unless he has an injury that two weeks rest will greatly improve he should play.

One point I don't agree on is when you say the Ravens "thumped" Cincy earlier in the season. That game was close. Baltimore won by 7 points. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Bengals play their way into a Wild Card this week. The motivation is certainly there. They lose and they're out. They win and they're in. Baltimore, of course, will want that first round BYE, but they're in regardless and in the back of their mind they know it. No Boldin against a pretty good Cincy D and a Bengals team that has the highest of motivation, ON THE ROAD....this game spells trouble for the Ratbirds.

I am really starting to think that Cincy may indeed win this game vs Baltimore.

I am also in certain agreement when it comes to respecting the Ravens, and although many here seem to be taking them too lightly (a surprising number in my opinion), they are a very formidable foe for N.England to have to face.

Saying that we can effectively stop their biggest weapon in Ray Rice, and actually executing and doing it--are 2 totally different things. I have not seen anything from this yr's run defense that would lead me to believe that 'we' as a fanbase, should feel confident...at least since the middle of the season with the DAL and maybe NYJ games.

That said, Belichick is very good at taking away the opponent's best player; so we do have that to be somewhat optimsitic about. On top of that aspect, the question is--"can the Ravens stop our offense?"

As far as your Steeler team goes, yes I believe that is definitely that tougher of the 2 opponents. That will present a major challenge too, but it also should be noted that the Oct.30th game was the absolute best the Steelers could have played vs us, and the Patriots pretty much played the absolute worst they possibly could have vs Pittsburgh. As you are well aware, the score was still close enough, and the Gronkowski TD call may have changed the game even more had it been a correct call. When a team holds you to around 200+ yds of total offense, and doubles up on you with 400+ of offense of their own, one would expect a game like that to be a lot more of a blowout.

It also should be noted that no team in the PIT/NE matchup has gone on to win a postseason game vs the other, after initally winning the regular season matchup. from a Patsfan's point of view, let's hope that trend holds up one more yr.

I am also hoping that PIT wins the AFCN from a personal and selfish standpoint, as it would allow me to see another game for the 3rd year in a row live at Heinz field if they are crowned AFCN champs since I live in Pittsburgh. Since I don't see much bearing on the Pats playoff chances either way whether BAL or PIT wins the division, I see nothing wrong with hoping that's the case.

Last edited:
I am really starting to think that Cincy may indeed win this game vs Baltimore.

I am also in certain agreement when it comes to respecting the Ravens, and although many here seem to be taking them too lightly (a surprising number in my opinion), they are a very formidable foe for N.England to have to face.

Saying that we can effectively stop their biggest weapon in Ray Rice, and actually executing and doing it--are 2 totally different things. I have not seen anything from this yr's run defense that would lead me to believe that 'we' as a fanbase, should feel confident...at least since the middle of the season with the DAL and maybe NYJ games.

That said, Belichick is very good at taking away the opponent's best player; so we do have that to be somewhat optimsitic about. On top of that aspect, the question is--"can the Ravens stop our offense?"

As far as your Steeler team goes, yes I believe that is definitely that tougher of the 2 opponents. That will present a major challenge too, but it also should be noted that the Oct.30th game was the absolute best the Steelers could have played vs us, and the Patriots pretty much played the absolute worst they possibly could have vs Pittsburgh. As you are well aware, the score was still close enough, and the Gronkowski TD call may have changed the game even more had it been a correct call. When a team holds you to around 200+ yds of total offense, and doubles up on you with 400+ of offense of their own, one would expect a game like that to be a lot more of a blowout.

It also should be noted that no team in the PIT/NE matchup has gone on to win a postseason game vs the other, after initally winning the regular season matchup. from a Patsfan's point of view, let's hope that trend holds up one more yr.

I am also hoping that PIT wins the AFCN from a personal and selfish standpoint, as it would allow me to see another game for the 3rd year in a row live at Heinz field if they are crowned AFCN champs since I live in Pittsburgh. Since I don't see much bearing on the Pats playoff chances either way whether BAL or PIT wins the division, I see nothing wrong with hoping that's the case.

I'm with you on most of your points here. Hey, I'm certainly not saying the Pats are an easy matchup for us. They're most certainly not. I honestly believe that the Steelers would have a better chance beating Baltimore in the playoffs. I just can't see the Ravens beating the Steelers three times in one season. Beating ANY good team three times in one season is difficult, and my gut tells me the Steelers would come out on top in that matchup this time.

I agree that the Steelers played an almost perfect game against your Pats this year. But that's what it takes to beat New England. You simply can't afford to make mistakes against the Pats. History does show that your Pats have our number in the playoffs, but I still wouldn't mind seeing it play out that way. "To be the best, you gotta beat the best." This is playoff football in the NFL. No team is a cakewalk.

I'm hoping Pittsburgh gets that 2 seed as well. They could really use that BYE week to get Ben and some of the other guys healthy. I certainly wouldn't call cincy a lock this week, but I do know they won't lie down for the Ravens. Hell, in the AFC North, all the Division games are tough. These teams have such a history against one another and are so familiar with their opponent....hell, even the Browns play tough against the Steelers and Ravens.

I'm not overly concerned with leaping NE to get the #1 seed. First, I highly doubt that happens, as I think Brady plays and NE handles their business this week. But stranger things have happened I suppose. I mean, historically, Buffalo has given your Pats fits the past few seasons. So even with a healthy Brady, I wouldn't call NE a lock this week. (refer to Week 3). I don't see that scenerio playing out again however. I'll be more than happy with the 2 seed, but regardless my team is in the playoffs, so I'm content. Let the cards fall where they may. I honestly wasn't expecting Pittsburgh to win the AFCN this year anyway. I predicted Baltimore to win it before the season began. The Steelers have a "Super Bowl hangover" tendency. I thought we'd be fortunate to squeeze out a Wild Card, so whatever happens from here on out, I'm satisfied.

Again, good luck to your Pats.

I def respect the Ravens, but I respect the Steelers more. I just don't understand why fans are paranoid about facing them. They really haven't looked good all season and are inconsistent at best. At least you know Pitts always shows up. I still think the Pats will beat the Ravens regardless where the play them. The Steelers game is much more of a toss-up.IMO

Yes the number one seed is worth it. Brady can heal when we have a bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye