Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is Specter going to sue Bush?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Or is there going to be a so-called compromise by Thursday?
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060724/ap_on_go_co/signing_statements_1
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +918 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

They learned well from the majority Democrat years...those were some powerfull years...this is how they stayed in power NEM.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +918 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

NEM I admitted long ago how sneaky they are...no denial from me on that one. They obviously feel the WOT can only be won by witholding information from the press/public which conflicts with many things.

But, to say he lied is innacurate...the public was warned there would be many things about WOT they will not like.

I'll tell you what...if the democrats win for 2008...expect more of the same...more honest probably...but the secrecy will stay as it is now.
  4. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The signing statements are an obvious sign the chimp thinks he and Cheney are above the law. If, at the very least, Specter raises this issue to bring it into the public consciousness, I for one applaud him for it. Maybe his heart is in the right place in attempting to bring sorely missed oversight back to Congress. It is, after all, in their job description!
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Could be a distraction, too. The thing is, I'm not so sure the signing statements themselves are unconstitutional - they merely represent the President's view of how the law relates to the executive branch and the constitution. It becomes unconstitutional when the President uses the signing statement as a justification for not following the letter of the law. It is, after all, up to the judicial branch to interpert what laws means - not the executive. If Specter sues about signing statements in general, Bush might eventually win, which would have the effect of somewhat legitimizing what he's doing.
  6. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think the signing statements, if acted on, are unconstitutional and will be found so.

The President has the right to veto a bill, an entire bill. He cannot veto it line item by line item--that amounts to legislation, which is the perogative of Congress.

When Clinton tried for a line item veto, the Supreme Court decided the issue.

Bush's signing statements have no validity in law. The law is what Congress passes and what Bush signs. The constitution does not give him the right to amend it.

I admire Spector's determination not to let Bush simply seize the chief power of Congress and exercise it as he wishes. Spector seems to be to be acting as a American first, as a Senator second and not at all as a party man.
  7. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You are correct. It seems to me that Specter is a party man, but just that he wants to restore the credibility to the GOP that has been lost over the Bush terms. He may also be a bit irked about the veto of the stem cell leg and that may be an additional motivator.
  8. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2005