PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is San Diego a ... Sports Town?

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Diego is a town with a zoo, a toll bridge to Coronado, and a train to Tijuana.

This post is your 619th, san diego area code is 619, and you are putting down the city. That's just funny :D

Don't forget we also have Shamu :p

shamu.jpg

I lived in San Diego for a year...back when the Padres went to the World Series and got stomped. It not a sports town. The best place to talk to SD sports fans I found was at Junior Seau's resturant.

San Diegans are very SoCal. Layed back, not sarcastic all the time, and by and large friendly (also more hot girls you can shake a stick at). It's probably like that since they don't have to deal with 4-5 months of cold weather...But a sports town? No.

Yeah, all those hot girls keep us layed back and relaxed ;)

San Diego is like almost every city in America. The average fan goes crazy lunatic when we win, and could care less when we lose. Every city is the same

We sold out every game before the season started this year. The playoff game was an anomaly. They announced well in advance the game was sold out. Then at the last minute said there were actually 300 tickets left.

That being said, there are most certainly less amounts of die hard fans here.

Otherwise.....I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world. it's paradise. You could go skiing, surfing, and to the desert on the same day (actually did that once) :)

I live pretty close to San Diego, so I think I have a pretty good pulse on the area. In short, no, SD is not a sports town. San Diegans might get around to caring about their team *if* they wake up one morning and realize it's one of the best. Even then, they know next to nothing about sports, and are only as outraged as they are about LT because they feel betrayed that they actually got around to backing a team these last couple years, and it has now let them down for two years running. San Diegans convinced themselves that their teams could play with the big boys, and now they're been repeatedly proven wrong. As soon as LT's decline as a running back becomes more prominent (and running backs near 30 with knee injuries don't have a good track record), they'll all stop caring again.

That said, aside from the sports scene, SoCal pretty much rocks.

Last edited:
Good thing you said "almost". When was the last time you won a championship in any pro sports? Ever?

ummmmm...sorry.....San Diego Sockers won plenty of championships...The Gulls won almost every year.

Yea...now don't you feel stupid???:D

No, I wouldn't say SD is a sports town relative to others....sports has never been the focal point of the local crowd. Because of this, our teams have never spent money the way other towns have and it's one big circle. NY/Bahston/LA all have huge sports crowds who have always demanded a lot so owners they understand they have to spend to feed your hunger, so they pay tons of $$, get big name players where our owners haven't. That said, our teams have been doing well....spent less than LA and have done better. Spent much less than your Pats and gave them a good game w/hurting players, etc.......

Would a loser town be a more fitting title? All they do is lose and start crying. Luckily for them the warm weather dries their tears.
:eek: ... real original there ^^

Named after whale twat.
Before I go cracking jokes about Bahston, where did this meaning of SD come from? ^^ Obviously I'm a bit new to this forum of upstanding :rolleyes: gentlemen and I've read this a couple times already.....just curious....

No fan from New England should ever criticize another city for interest in a football team. In terms of fan bases, Boston/New England easily ranks in the lower tier in the NFL.

Oh really? How did you come to that conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes