PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Ronnie Brown good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBrady'sGoat

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Dolphins fans seem to love the guy, and we all know how impartial they are. I've seen very little of him and haven't formed an opinion. Is he any good? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Could he be a top back if his OLine didn't blow? Who would you compare him to? I just want to know what the Pats might be facing for the next few years.

He does have a horrible OL. I've watched him quite a bit, as he's on my fantasy team (I sound like Kornheiser now), and have been left lukewarm. He's pretty decent and gets what's there but rarely makes something himself - like, say, um, Maroney :)

He has some talent but he seems pretty inconsistent to me.

I think he's likely quite good but suffers from a crappy OL.

1. Strong like bull, can turn no gains into 2 yard gains
2. Fast when in the open field
3. Never in the open field b/c of crappy line play.

He also is a top notch receiver, an excellent pass blocker and a very solid teammate. Mularkey has been underusing him. Brown breaks a ton of tackles and if given the ball he will present problems. He should be a 1300 yard, 10 TD/ 50 catch back if used properly.

He's shown flashes of excellence, but has been inconsistent. Part of that is due to the crappy Dolphins line but I think there is more to it than that.

I don't think he is as good as his AUburn teammate C Williams. Hard to measure his pro performance becuase of the poor Fin OL.

patsfan13 said:
I don't think he is as good as his AUburn teammate C Williams. Hard to measure his pro performance becuase of the poor Fin OL.
He blocks better, he catches better and he's more durable, as this season demonstrates. Cadillac is flashier, but that aint everything...

Last edited:
Allow me to offer an unbiased review of Ronnie Brown seeing how he helped us to Auburn's undefeated season in '04.. :D

He's a great runner, from what I've seen (3+ years) of him he's very much a power runner, not afraid to to run head on to a defender, knock him over and grab a few yards. When he breaks out of the line of scrimmage it takes him an extra gear to get to top speed, he's not Maroney-like, or Cadillac-like in that he doesn't rely on his shiftiness to get away from defenders, rather he relies on his brute force to knock them over and then get rolling, he likes to use the stiff arm, and on several occasions has elected to meet the tackler instead of running out of bound for tough yards.

hes a power guy with speed..good hands..no OL

we need to tackle better..we will not take him down easily. we need to tackle a lot better than previous games because if he gets room..he can bust them

Yeah, it's almost impossible to take him down solo. I remember in the 04 season while we were playing Tennessee, he was on his way to the endzone and a linebacker stood in his way... shoulders lowered and ran him over, knock the defender's helmet off and scored. That's Ronnie. We will have to take that guy seriously.

edgecy said:
Yeah, it's almost impossible to take him down solo. I remember in the 04 season while we were playing Tennessee, he was on his way to the endzone and a linebacker stood in his way... shoulders lowered and ran him over, knock the defender's helmet off and scored. That's Ronnie. We will have to take that guy seriously.
I believe that defender was S Jason Allen, Miami's #1 pick this year...:D

Remix 6 said:

While that run is quite impressive we have to remember that the chiefs are/were one of the worst tackling defenses in the NFL. In that game aginst the Giants last year they missed so many tackles on Tiki Barber it was ridiculous.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
I believe that defender was S Jason Allen, Miami's #1 pick this year...:D

My apology:)

zippo59 said:
While that run is quite impressive we have to remember that the chiefs are/were one of the worst tackling defenses in the NFL. In that game aginst the Giants last year they missed so many tackles on Tiki Barber it was ridiculous.

we havent looked very good in tackling either but i agree..Chiefs blew last year

It seems like Ronnie made a living destroying the Volunteers:D

Ronnie is good for sure, just not very explosive. I personally dont think he was worthy of the number 2 overall pick last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back