PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Reiss Ever Going to mention the Welker thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is, this is a rumor. It hasn't happened yet, but it seems there are reliable sources with information that it probably will.

Say I'm PFT guy. I watch a game and Cleveland's receivers stink. I write a headline,
Moss headed to Cleveland?

That's not a rumor, because I just made it up. There are no sources from Oakland or Cleveland. It's what you call BS.

What?!?!?!?! Moss is headed to Cleveland?!?!?!?

PFT was really strange the way they reported the Tomase article that said Thomas to the Pats was a done deal. They said it had an "uneasy" quality to it (WTF does that mean?) and it was like they didn't get that Tomase was putting his entire career on the line if he was definitively saying the Pats had landed him when they in fact had not. It's like they report so much crap, but this you question?

Give the stinkin report don't try to turn into Freud and analyze the emotions behind it.

I think in that case The deal was no longer a rumor and more fact and they wanted to put a rumor out there so they came up with that.

THOMAS DEAL COMING?

John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have struck a "preliminary deal" with free-agent linebacker Adalius Thomas.

But we sense a certain uneasy quality about the report, and it lacks the same unequivocal feel that most reports of player signings possess. If that makes any sense.

We're not saying it won't happen. But, for now, we're not completely convinced that it will.

How is this worthy of publication?

PFT guy has a bad burrito. He feels queasy, but also doesn't understand what it meant to work for a responsible news source.

Tomase and Reiss can't say it's done intil it's worked out and the physical is passed!

It's one thing to second guess it because of another source you ahve, but they were questioning it based on absolutely nothing.

It's one thing to second guess it because of another source you ahve, but they were questioning it based on absolutely nothing.

refer to early posts in this thread as me and rayclay were talking about the crap they come up with.

What?!?!?!?! Moss is headed to Cleveland?!?!?!?

That's the rumor.

Unless you like this one.

PATS LURKING FOR MOSS?

At a time when the signs are pointing to the Raiders dealing receiver Randy Moss to the Packers, sources close to Moss say that another team quietly in the mix is the New England Patriots.

I think in that case The deal was no longer a rumor and more fact and they wanted to put a rumor out there so they came up with that.

Yeah, it seemed like they were pissed that something was actually going to happen and it wasn't one of the 30 things they guessed that day. LOL.:D

I also think Reiss likes to enjoy his weekend so he may be a little slow to the point

I also think Reiss likes to enjoy his weekend so he may be a little slow to the point

everyone likes to enjoy their weekend but I believe he was one of the first to say we were going to make a run at him and than he didnt say more because there wasnt more to say as the wording from other sources was plan.

everyone likes to enjoy their weekend but I believe he was one of the first to say we were going to make a run at him and than he didnt say more because there wasnt more to say as the wording from other sources was plan.

You are correct, sir. Nothing new has happened, so there's nothing to add.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

March 03, 2007
Pats eye Welker

Continuing with their aggressive approach in free agency that already landed linebacker Adalius Thomas and tight end Kyle Brady, the Patriots are now expected to court restricted free agent receiver Wes Welker.

Welker enters his fourth season in 2007, having played his first three seasons with the Miami Dolphins. He was tendered a one-year, $1.3 million contract by Miami.

If the Patriots sign him to an offer sheet, and the Dolphins elect not to match it, the team would have to surrender a second-round draft choice.

THOMAS DEAL COMING?

John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have struck a "preliminary deal" with free-agent linebacker Adalius Thomas.

But we sense a certain uneasy quality about the report, and it lacks the same unequivocal feel that most reports of player signings possess. If that makes any sense.

We're not saying it won't happen. But, for now, we're not completely convinced that it will.

How is this worthy of publication?

PFT guy has a bad burrito. He feels queasy, but also doesn't understand what it meant to work for a responsible news source.

Tomase and Reiss can't say it's done intil it's worked out and the physical is passed!

First, the guy reported the news he had. Second, he commented on the way it was written and simply said that it didn't completely convince him. Given the way that 'promises' have been broken by players in recent years, in more than one sport, his comment was actually far more helpful than yours.

It's one thing to say that it's a rumor mill and therefore to take it less seriously. It's another thing to complain when a section actually named "rumor mill" has some rumors that don't pan out as true, or when someone posting a 'rumor' expresses misgivings about what's been posted.

Last edited:
First, the guy reported the news he had. Second, he commented on the way it was written and simply said that it didn't completely convince him. Given the way that 'promises' have been broken by players in recent years, in more than one sport, his comment was actually far more helpful than yours.

It's one thing to say that it's a rumor mill and therefore to take it less seriously. It's another thing to complain when a section actually named "rumor mill" has some rumors that don't pan out as true, or when someone posting a 'rumor' expresses misgivings about what's been posted.

I could start a column where I made up stuff. As long as I called it a rumormill is it a source?

I will say that having that "Weekly World News" column saying they felt uneasy about the deal made me feel better that it was solid.

Sad.

I could start a column where I made up stuff. As long as I called it a rumormill is it a source?

I will say that having that "Weekly World News" column saying they felt uneasy about the deal made me feel better that it was solid.

Sad.

You're crying about something he didn't make up.

You're crying about something he didn't make up.

You mean Randy Moss has been traded to five different teams?

I'll have to go over to PFT and catch up!

I don't think feeling uneasy was made up. It probably had to do more with greasy food than football though.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You mean Randy Moss has been traded to five different teams?

I'll have to go over to PFT and catch up!

I don't think feeling uneasy was made up. It probably had to do more with greasy food than football though.:rolleyes:

You're not going to try claiming that nobody but PFT is speculating about Moss, are you? ESPN, for example, has speculated about him going to several teams.

True. I'm not sure if the guy has taken a day off for the past 9 months. He seems to have an update every day.

I'm glad he's finally taking a day to chill.

Yes it's a rumor mill but what they report is still supposed to be based on some kind of source. Do you notice how in many of their reports they say something like "according to a league source" which is very vague but at least it means they are hearing it from someone else within the NFL. It doesn't always make it true but at least their is a NFL source behind it. In their Thomas report they were second guessing it based on NO SOURCE except their own baseless speculation, which is worth about as much as much as what any of us say here on this message board.

Yes it's a rumor mill but what they report is still supposed to be based on some kind of source. Do you notice how in many of their reports they say something like "according to a league source" which is very vague but at least it means they are hearing it from someone else within the NFL. It doesn't always make it true but at least their is a NFL source behind it. In their Thomas report they were second guessing it based on NO SOURCE except their own baseless speculation, which is worth about as much as much as what any of us say here on this message board.

And if you read what was posted, it was clear that the 'uneasy' feeling was just that, and based solely upon how the source wrote the information. He didn't hide anything or make any claim, he just noted his misgivings. Since when is admitting to misgivings about a rumor a bad idea?

And if you read what was posted, it was clear that the 'uneasy' feeling was just that, and based solely upon how the source wrote the information. He didn't hide anything or make any claim, he just noted his misgivings. Since when is admitting to misgivings about a rumor a bad idea?

What misgivings were in the Thomase report?

When I first read it I actually was suprised by how definitive it was.

Saying it wasn't was complete hoo-hah.

That's the rumor.

Unless you like this one.

PATS LURKING FOR MOSS?

At a time when the signs are pointing to the Raiders dealing receiver Randy Moss to the Packers, sources close to Moss say that another team quietly in the mix is the New England Patriots.

What?!?!?!? The Pats are lurking for Moss?!?!?!?!

Sad.

Okay, I have a bone to pick here. Though PFT is self-confessedly not always correct, they usually say when they aren't sure if a rumor is true. As a daily reader of the website, they are usually a day or two ahead of the game on most events.They aren't always right, but I can't remember a single time when they have reported something as a fact and they have been wrong.

As for the rumors themselves, they are more accurate than you might expect. They have built up a network and they are always on top of their game. They had details of Pac-Man Jones' troubles before anyone else. They reported rumors of Eric Steinbach to Cleveland on TUESDAY. They reported the Jeff Garcia signing a full three hours ahead of the "real" media. They've been discussing the NFC East Leonard Davis shuffle for a day now, whereas the regular media is just catching on. Though, again, they were behind our Patriots forum on the Thomas signing, they were still faster than ESPN.com, SI.com, and NFL.com by half a day. Though they aren't always right about everything they say, they make it clear what is a rumor and what is a fact. And the facts they report are faster, more thorough, more up-to-date, and better analyzed than I've seen anywhere else.

Right now (4:12 PM Sunday) they're reporting Luke Petitgout to the Redskins. Let's see how long it takes ESPN to get on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back