PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Randy Moss the best receiver ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEfan32

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know Jerry Rice is the clear favorite, owning almost every record, and playing quality football into his 40s. But, I think Randy Moss is the best reciever ever.

Obviously, Moss is the most athletically gifted receiver ever, with 4.3 speed and a huge vertical. Not to mention some of the best hands ever.

But, if you look at the larger picture, the two top ever scoring offenses, Minnesota in 98 and New England in 08, he was the main factor.

Rice may be a fan favorite, but Rice, IMO, played better than he really was because he always had a QB throwing to him whether it be Montana, Young, Gannon or Hasselback. Moss had crappy guys like Cunningham and Culpepper.

I am kind of splitting the argument I guess, but I think Moss is the most skilled receiver ever, and a key component to the top offenses in history, while Rice was consistant over his years, but didn't make the weekly amazing catches.

For now, you have to say that Rice is the better receiver. If Moss continues to put up a fraction of the numbers he put up this year for the rest of his career, I'll say he's the best, but we definitely have to wait.

Maybe most feared receiver would be a good one.

I know Jerry Rice is the clear favorite, owning almost every record, and playing quality football into his 40s. But, I think Randy Moss is the best reciever ever.

Obviously, Moss is the most athletically gifted receiver ever, with 4.3 speed and a huge vertical. Not to mention some of the best hands ever.

But, if you look at the larger picture, the two top ever scoring offenses, Minnesota in 98 and New England in 08, he was the main factor.

Rice may be a fan favorite, but Rice, IMO, played better than he really was because he always had a QB throwing to him whether it be Montana, Young, Gannon or Hasselback. Moss had crappy guys like Cunningham and Culpepper.

I am kind of splitting the argument I guess, but I think Moss is the most skilled receiver ever, and a key component to the top offenses in history, while Rice was consistant over his years, but didn't make the weekly amazing catches.

I don't think Moss will ever be viewed as better than Rice. Because Rice didn't take 2 years off, Moss did.

I don't think Moss will ever be viewed as better than Rice. Because Rice didn't take 2 years off, Moss did.

Agreed. When he wants to be, Moss is really good. Rice on the other hand, played for a long time and put up consistently gaudy numbers. If you look at the strike season, it's even more remarkable what he was able to do in a 12-game season.

It's still Rice for now.

I think Moss is the most phisicaly gifted receiver ever. IMO no one before him had the same combination of size speed and body control. Like what has been said before he's a freak. But that being said it doesn't make him the best. If he stays with the Pats and Brady I think he will be considered the best ever. He needs the discipline, and the QB. In minn. he had the QB. and some discipline from Carter. In Oakland he had neither, here he has both.

Jerry Rice is still the obvious #1...Moss has 10 years in the league compared to Rice's 20, he has a ways to go. I think so this thread doesnt become a Jerry Rce lovefest lol, a more appropriate and more interesting question is "Could Randy Moss be the best receiver ever?"

Personally, I think he's the only WR who can realistically carve out a legacy that, when its all said and done, could rival Rice and AT LEAST start a discussion of who #1 is. A lot of people assume that for him to be the best or eclipse Rice he needs to beat Rice's amazing career stats..thats not true at all, its more than just numbers..Kareem isnt considered better than MJ, and Emmitt Smith aint better than Barry Sanders. IMO if Moss comes close enough to those numbers to warrant them as similar stats, which he definetely can, then intangibles like how they dominated their era, impact and so forth will be determining factors. Areas where potentially Moss can edge out Rice in.

I think his performance in this years playoffs as well as future ones as a Patriot (I think) will go a long way toward answering this question.

If he comes up really big....then a case could be made. It will take more than one great playoff run, but, here's hoping he starts off straight away on Saturday night and keeps it rolling through AZ.

IMO, I don't think Moss will ever be revered as better than Rice. Rice never had the reputation for "taking plays off." It was always accolades for Rice. Throughout his career.

Moss is, in my mind, the most skilled receiver to play the game. The best, at least in the publics eye? I don't think he'll reach that level by the end of his career. Time will tell.

Why does every one always use this as an argument. I think Moss is more physically talented but Rice didn't always have great QBs. Rice played what amounts to 5 seasons with Elvis Grbac, Jeff Brohm(Brian's big brother), Steve Bono, Matt Cavenuagh(sp?), Marques Tuiasosopo, Kerry Collins, Tee Martin, Jeff Garcia, and a few others. While people like to speak bad of Cunningham and Culpepper, Cunningham won at least 1 MVP before he got to Min. despite not playing with a 1,000 yard receiver or rusher till his 8th year or a Pro Bowl linemen till his 12th season and had 42 more TDs and 7 fewer ints than Troy Aikman. And Culpepper would have been MVP in 2004 with 39TDs and 11 ints if not for Manning and that's despite Moss not doing much after getting injured in the 8th game of the season.

Last edited:
Sure, Rice has his gaudy all time stats
and Randy has a way to go to catch him.
But can anybody tell me that Rice has made
the kind of catches we have seen Randy make this year?
I've seen Rice on the tube in his playing years
and he did make some outstanding catches but
Randy freaks me out.

IMO Randy is the best all time now.
I predict when Randy is done, the argument will be over.

Sure, Rice has his gaudy all time stats
and Randy has a way to go to catch him.
But can anybody tell me that Rice has made
the kind of catches we have seen Randy make this year?
I've seen Rice on the tube in his playing years
and he did make some outstanding catches but
Randy freaks me out.

IMO Randy is the best all time now.
I predict when Randy is done, the argument will be over.
The question is how long Randy will want to play. After super bowl wins this year and next, he might just follow a whim and leave the game like Jim Brown did. I hope not.

Randy Moss 2001-82 1233 15.0 10
__________2002-106 1347 12.7 7
Age 24-25

Jerry Rice 2001-83 1139 13.7 9
__________2002-92 1211 13.2 7
Age 39-40

This is why Rice will always be considered the best WR ever.

Last edited:
The question is how long Randy will want to play. After super bowl wins this year and next, he might just follow a whim and leave the game like Jim Brown did. I hope not.

I really doubt Randy takes the Jim Brown route.
He loves football too much.
BB wouldn't have him if he didn't.:D

I really doubt Randy takes the Jim Brown route.
He loves football too much.
BB wouldn't have him if he didn't.:D
I know what you mean, but seems like Randy marches to a different drummer, and so he is more unpredictable than a Rice or Tim Brown or Marvin Harrison. He could just up and declare that's it, I'm done, even if one more year could get him some all time records.

I know what you mean, but seems like Randy marches to a different drummer, and so he is more unpredictable than a Rice or Tim Brown or Marvin Harrison. He could just up and declare that's it, I'm done, even if one more year could get him some all time records.

Well let's just wait and see what kind of contract Randy signs.
That may tell us a lot.

Rice was better than Moss.

Moss is more talented than Rice.

But talent isn't what being a receiver is all about. That said, Moss has to be in the discussion, if not the clear cut #2.

Is Randy Moss the best receiver ever?
No. Could he be? Don't think so. Only time will tell. There is always gonna be someone better. So best receiver EVER? Not a chance. Best receiver for the '07 season yeah. But it sucks that Wayne passed him up on receiving yards. For now Rice is the undisputed champ. Randy is awesome though...enjoy him while you can!

who cares about these geek arguments...hardware is all that counts...you Indy mutts and the rest of you haters can have all the goo gee gaa gaa hero trophies and best player crapola you want...I'll take the rings

who cares about these geek arguments...hardware is all that counts...you Indy mutts and the rest of you haters can have all the goo gee gaa gaa hero trophies and best player crapola you want...I'll take the rings

I want both.
I admit it. I'm greedy.

Because Rice didn't take 2 years off, Moss did.

Did he have a choice?

Oh sure, we can pontificate about how a professional should act, but in a situation like that (Oakland) I'm not automatically buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots