PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Phillip Rivers Ryan Leaf's Little Brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The #5 defense in the league, and your point is what ?????

Michael Griffin and the corner completely blow two coverages leaving 2 wideouts without a defensive body anywhere within a 15 yard radius. Phil Rivers throws a football to 2 completely uncovered wideouts and now he's the greatest thing since sliced bread after putting up a monstrous 17 points at home. Are you serious ?

Also, you still haven't commented on Phil's trap, his mouth. Please give me your thoughts on that, your ignoring this.

No one is saying Rivers is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's a young, second year QB who won a playoff game for his team with his playmaking. He has a 26-8 record as a starter. Those things are noteworthy.

I don't particularly care for Rivers trash talking, but the extent of it has also blown out of proportion and a lot of players trash talk opponents on the field, including Brady. Just because he may be annoying to fans of opposing teams at times doesn't mean he's a stiff and he completely sucks as a player. No one can be too dissatisfied with a guy who in his first two seasons is 26-8 with a playoff loss to the Pats (and possibly the SuperBowl champion Colts if that happens). Rivers still has lots of upside as a player as well. He wins 76% of his games now, and if he takes his game up another level in the next year or two the Chargers will be extremely dangerous.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does Rivers kind of look like Jack Palance?

Anyway, my neighbor is a Chargers fan and I had him over to watch the game yesterday. Even he admitted Brees is the better of the two QB's.

But hey Sanvara, don't worry about it. There were people on this board not too long ago who fought hard in support of the (now proven to be ridiculous) idea that Bledsoe was a better QB than Brady.
On his best day, Rivers isn't close to the same level of Brady or Bledsoe.

Both Brady and Bledsoe have the ability to carry a team. Rivers can squeak out a win IF surrounded by talented players AND when the defense commits 9 men to stopping LdT.

No one is saying Rivers is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's a young, second year QB who won a playoff game for his team with his playmaking. He has a 26-8 record as a starter. Those things are noteworthy.

I don't particularly care for Rivers trash talking, but the extent of it has also blown out of proportion and a lot of players trash talk opponents on the field, including Brady. Just because he may be annoying to fans of opposing teams at times doesn't mean he's a stiff and he completely sucks as a player. No one can be too dissatisfied with a guy who in his first two seasons is 26-8 with a playoff loss to the Pats (and possibly the SuperBowl champion Colts if that happens). Rivers still has lots of upside.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Look I agree with you, I think Rivers has "upside". But it hasn't been blown out of proportion, he's been yapping for 2 straight years. People view him as a "yahoo" who talks but can't back it up. When Phil Rivers decides he wants to grow up and shut up, then he can start doing some damage in this league.

Even you being a homer, you have to admit, if he didn't have LT in the backfield, what kind of QB do you think he would be ? You give Kyle Boller a back like LT and see what he can do.

Thanks for your comments. What a breath of fresh air to hear some objectivity.
I wouldn't be so quick to align myself with FANINPA without reading some of his whack-o posts first. Then again, I think your shoes might be a good fit.

Well, you guys enjoy your Rivers Rump Fest.

I wouldn't be so quick to align myself with FANINPA without reading some of his whack-o posts first. Then again, I think your shoes might be a good fit.

Well, you guys enjoy your Rivers Rump Fest.

Yeah,Your posts are VERY intelligent :rolleyes:

At least I can say and admit when a guy had a great day at his position as a player on ANOTHER team other than the Patriots.

If Rivers were a backup here you would be showing a different side and homers like you are pathetic one sided individuals.

Grow up and realize not every player on other teams suck all the time - Thats immature,What are you like 15 years old?

Many guys on here are saying Maroney just needs a couple of years and he will be one of the best in the league,Well Rivers has not been out there too long either so why not give him a chance to prove himself either way too?

Of course I know why - YOU DON'T GIVE YOUNG QBs LIKE RIVERS A CHANCE TO IMPROVE IN A FEW YEARS - WHY? - BECAUSE ON PATSFANS IF YOUR NOT A PATRIOT YOU WILL NEVER IMPROVE! - BUT MARONEY IS HEADING TO THE HALL OF FAME,WE JUST HAVE NOT SEEN HIS BEST YET :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah,Your posts are VERY intelligent :rolleyes:

At least I can say and admit when a guy had a great day at his position as a player on ANOTHER team other than the Patriots.

If Rivers were a backup here you would be showing a different side and homers like you are pathetic one sided individuals. Grow up and realize not every player on other teams suck all the time - Thats immature,What are you like 15 years old?

Many guys on here are saying Maroney just needs a couple of years and he will be one of the best in the league,Well Rivers has not been out there too long either so why not give him a chance to prove himself either way too?

Of course I know why - YOU DON'T GIVE YOUNG QBs LIKE RIVERS A CHANCE TO IMPROVE IN A FEW YEARS - WHY? - BECAUSE ON PATSFANS IF YOUR NOT A PATRIOT YOU WILL NEVER IMPROVE! - BUT MARONEY IS HEADING TO THE HALL OF FAME,WE JUST HAVE NOT SEEN HIS BEST YET :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't think Cassell gets a lot of love-or confidence here.

I don't think anyone in here is saying Rivers is going to be a superstar but he has had some good games mixed in with some bad ones and in a year or two we should know a little more of his talent,wherever the talent lies - comparing him to Ryan Leaf is a bit ridiculous at this early point in his career - Leaf did nothing,At least Rivers has already taken SD to the playoffs in consecutive years for a decent start to a career
- He is not anything near an elite QB right now but theres no reason to say he can't be in 2-3 years from now - At least he looks better than Cutler in Denver.

The problem with some of the clowns in here is that they are ridiculously spoiled with having the wonderful knowledge of knowing Tom Brady is on thier favorite team,QBs like Brady who come from nowhere and become instant superstars are rare - Now some clowns in here expect all QBs to be Brady-Like and a superstar overnight or they are destined to suck.

Be glad you are huge Brady fans like me and don't have to worry whether your QB will get better or not - Just STFU

Last edited:
I don't think Cassell gets a lot of love-or confidence here.

Believe it or not if you do a search of Cassell you will see objective guys get pummeled when they say Cassell sucks

Sanvara just shut up.

Rivers is nowhere even CLOSE to Brees. Not in the same league. not now, probably not ever.

You are like the dumbass guy that does something embarassing and then instead of just admitting it was stupid, you try to justify it and never give up even when you know you are wrong.

Saying Rivers is as good or better than Brees is like Comparing Eli Manning to Tom Brady

Last edited:
Even you being a homer, you have to admit, if he didn't have LT in the backfield, what kind of QB do you think he would be ? You give Kyle Boller a back like LT and see what he can do.

The great Drew Brees who get touted here had LT and he won 9 games and missed the playoffs. Rivers won 14. How many would Boller win with the same roster Brees and Rivers had?

Last edited:
The great Drew Brees who get touted here had LT and he won 9 games and missed the playoffs. Rivers won 14 with the same players. Rivers is simply a better player than people here will admit.

i dont see aints' making playoffs last year w/ rivers instead of brees

Saying Rivers is as good or better than Brees is like Comparing Eli Manning to Tom Brady

Stupid comparison. Who has won more games, Eli or Tom?

Rivers 26-8
Brees 18-16

The W/L record is not even close. Furthermore Rivers took the same players Brees had and won 14 games whereas Brees could only win 9.

If individual stats don't equal wins they mean nothing. I'll take the guy who wins games and you can take the stat guy.

Last edited:
Stupid comparison. Who has won more games, Eli or Tom?

Rivers 26-8
Brees 18-16

The W/L record is not even close. Furthermore Rivers took the same players Brees had and won 14 games whereas Brees could only win 9.

If individual stats don't equal wins they mean nothing.

Who made it further in the playoffs last year?

Better yet, how's the QB drafted after Eli and Phil doing in comparison?

Who made it further in the playoffs last year?

Brees beat the Eagles by 3 points. The Eagles who are 18-15 the past two seasons and couldn't even make the playoffs this year. Rivers barely lost to the Pats who are 28-5 the past two seasons. Brees would have been smoked by the Pats last year.

Last edited:
i dont see aints' making playoffs last year w/ rivers instead of brees

Pure conjecture. What is not conjecture and what is most meaningful is what Brees and Rivers each produced with the same roster of players. And that right there is the tale of the tape.

Last edited:
Brees beat the Eagles by 3 points. The Eagles who are 18-15 the past two seasons and couldn't even make the playoffs this year. Rivers barely lost to the Pats who are 28-5 the past two seasons. Brees would have been smoked by the Pats last year.

You didn't answer the second part of my question.

You didn't answer the second part of my question.

How's the QB drafted after Eli and Phil doing in comparison?

Not so great this year. He lost in the first round while Philip and Eli both won playoff games. But I'm not sure what Ben has to do with anything being discussed here.

What a great draft that was for the Chargers that year though: Rivers, Kaeding, Hardwick, Phillips, Olshansky, Turner. Nice.

Even better was the Eli Manning trade that year that resulted in: Rivers, Kaeding, Merriman. Three players who have made the pro-bowl for Eli.:D

Last edited:
How's the QB drafted after Eli and Phil doing in comparison?

Not so great this year. He lost in the first round of the playoffs. But I'm not sure what Ben has to do with anything being discussed here.

You're saying that Phil is young and that is his excuse for his failures. His "draftmate" has won playoff games and a Super Bowl. Just sayin. A certain 6th round QB won a SB by this time also.

You're saying that Phil is young and that is his excuse for his failures. His "draftmate" has won playoff games and a Super Bowl. Just sayin. A certain 6th round QB won a SB by this time also.

Different players develop at different time-frames for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back