PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Parcells as a HC really all that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First off, when Sean Payton was a Parcells assistant in Dallas, Payton designed a very creative playbook, but Parcells being the arch-conservative that he is, reigned him in, and even ADMITTED he was a "virus" when Sean went to New Orleans 4 years ago.

Anyhow - look at how Parcells' former assistants did over the last decade - Belichick 3 Super Bowls, Coughlin 1 Super Bowl, Payton just won the Super Bowl, his former DC Mike Zimmer has done an outstanding job coaching a somewhat underwhelming Cincy D, just to name a few(I'm sure there are others).

If you look at all the talent Parcells has had on his staff in his early years, surprising how he hasn't had the same success without them late in his career?

yes, i think he is all that

First off, when Sean Payton was a Parcells assistant in Dallas, Payton designed a very creative playbook, but Parcells being the arch-conservative that he is, reigned him in, and even ADMITTED he was a "virus" when Sean went to New Orleans 4 years ago.

Anyhow - look at how Parcells' former assistants did over the last decade - Belichick 3 Super Bowls, Coughlin 1 Super Bowl, Payton just won the Super Bowl, his former DC Mike Zimmer has done an outstanding job coaching a somewhat underwhelming Cincy D, just to name a few(I'm sure there are others).

If you look at all the talent Parcells has had on his staff in his early years, surprising how he hasn't had the same success without them late in his career?
I'm not sure I would describe Parcells as an "arch-conservative" in regard to offensive play-calling.

Parcells knows football and has an eye for surround himself with coaching talent. That much is true.

Last edited:
It's tough to win it all, Parcells did it twice and has fielded competitive teams in other seasons. He's done well at developing or at least finding good assistant coaches, give the man his due - he was a good coach. Besides, you've got Wade to kick around now, you should be happy. :)

all_that_and_a_bag_of_chips_photosculpture-p153952287298971771qdjh_400.jpg

Parcells is clearly an excellent talent finder whether that be on or off the field.

Maybe,maybe not. He is probably the greatest talent guy out there. The pats dynasty was made by Parcells.

It's not an accident that his former assistants have won 5 of the last 10 SBs. The guy knows how to find and develop talent, and that's a skill in of itself. It's the one area where Belichick still hasn't shown that he can rival him, really, though he still has plenty of time.

A big part of being a HC is to surround yourself with people that can help you succeed. Parcells' eye for talent in selecting players is well documented, but his talent for recruiting and developing assistant coaches is vastly underrated.

Parcells was also a great motivator and game manager. He had the uncanny ability to recognize the ebb and flow of each game and took risks at opportune times and took the conservative approach when that was the best course of action.

I credit him for turning our franchise to what it is today. He laid the foundation for our dynasty.

Parcells knows football and has an eye for surround himself with coaching talent. That much is true.

Why is Bill refusing to bring in talent? He should feel very secure that no one would be able to undermine him.

Besides the SBs, he has a good record of turning teams around, such as The Pats, Jets and cowboys, as well as the dolphins as an exec.

Teams will pay good money for that, even if he doesn't stick around long as coach.

Why is Bill refusing to bring in talent? He should feel very secure that no one would be able to undermine him.

Because he has a system, a proven system and he doesnt want to deviate from that. He'd rather find young, raw talent and develop it under his style, seems to work when you consider the way his assistants have been wooed by other organizations. Hopefully he has the talent now that will get better with time, then some other team can steal him from us.:(

As far as Parcells, football was a second rate sport here, it was a joke, until Parcells came drafted Bledsoe then Kraft bought the team, I always have to give Parcells and Bledsoe that, they made football exciting around here again and you cant take that way from either of them.

Last edited:
He has an eye for talent.

And a mouth for hoagies.

Actually, his disciples being such winners is a positive, not a negative IMO.

Parcell's indeed has an eye for talent and on the sidelines his winning record attracted bright, young committed coaching wannabes who wanted to succeed and his management style and charming personality insured only the most committed hung around long enough to develop and advance. BB has said they differ in that Parcell's has always been a big picture guy while BB was more detail oriented. I think you could say that about quite a number of his protoges because what he saw in them was the capacity to handle the details that allowed him to persue the big picture.

As a stand alone HC or even DC I'm not sure you get nearly the bang for your buck from Parcell's. His value comes more from his player evaluation and motivation skills and his eye for outstanding young football minds and his legendary media cache. He's not conservative so much as protective of his own standing and at times vindictive...if you innovate on his staff and it works it will be a cold day in hell before you get acknowledged if he can help it...because he needs you. While if you fail he will let everyone know you were the idiot who screwed up. Although I believe he has mellowed substantially in his recent, later years

Parcells is the type of guy you learn from, take what really works and throw out the stuff that you see as polarizing.. reminds me of Education of a coach.. when BB talks about the special treatment of Lawrence Taylor and how he is different as a Pats Coach.

I think Parcells' legacy has suffered in recent years because of his football ADD. In the past 20 years he hasn't stayed with an franchise for more than 4 years.

Parcells without Belichick: 0 playoff wins ever
Belichick without Parcells: 4 conference titles, 3 Super Bowl championships.

yes, next question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey