PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is our Jonathan Smith better than Miami's Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way, Welker is probably one of the best Special Teamers in the game. Apprently hes a decent 3rd WR too.

There's two things I like about Welker that make me think of Dwight. One, he's elusive and tough. Two, he's not a high-value #1 starter that you'd be afraid to risk in the return game.

Hobbs is every bit the returner that Welker is, but I don't want to see him out there. It's nice to have a guy like Welker returning punts, so if he's out for a game, your secondary (or receiver corps) doesn't collapse from the loss. Dwight provided terrific depth and in the end, giving him up has a quiet impact.

It wasn't a mistake losing Givens for the many millions, but I forget how much it would have cost to have kept Dwight and perhaps that was a mistake BB shouldn't have made.

PatsFan37 said:
It wasn't a mistake losing Givens for the many millions, but I forget how much it would have cost to have kept Dwight and perhaps that was a mistake BB shouldn't have made.

It would've cost very little, and I tend to agree. I'd like to have brought him back for one more year in the system.

patsox23 said:
It would've cost very little, and I tend to agree. I'd like to have brought him back for one more year in the system.

Dwight was all right, but on almost every punt I saw him return, his tendency was to go for the right side of the field. Apparently other coaches saw that, too, as coverage would almost immediately skew in that direction, thereby forcing Dwight out of bounds and limiting quite effectively the return.

At least, that was my perception. I think it was a primary reason the Pats didn't keep him.

Nah Welker is a black Dante Hall. The kid is sensational. The 1 good thing about the Dolphins.

Count me amoung the "We should have re-signed Tim Dwight" campers. I don't think that 4 years at $4.25M total was unreasonable. Besides, we all know the difference between the announced contract and the actual contract. And don't forget the "Catch of the Year" he made in Miami.
Now, I just hope that Jonathan Smith does not act lost in space on Sunday.

Fantastic -- a thread about the non-Pats player whom I most regret is not on our team.

Don't forget his role as emergency kicker!

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ut_his_best_foot_forward_in_emergency?mode=PF

"Of the field goal, Welker said, "It was a great job of blocking, and Matt [Turk] got the hold down, and I was able to get under it and kind of get it up over the line and kind of sneak it in. I was prepared. I knew there was a slight chance that I could [kick]." He then kicked off 59 yards to the Patriots' Kevin Kasper.

After his second-quarter PAT, Welker then kicked off 40 yards to Dan Klecko, and four plays later he returned a punt 21 yards. With 36 seconds left in the quarter, Welker returned a kick 18 yards to become the first player to kick off and return a kick in the same game since Atlanta's Keith Jones did it against San Francisco Nov. 12, 1989.

Not bad for someone who hadn't converted a kick since the last game of his senior year at Heritage Hall High School in Oklahoma City."

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Maybe Smith is fast for a black guy. Nice idiotic statement. You know, it's 2006. You should try entering this century. I don't know if you got the memo but women are allowed to vote now and black people eat other things besides fried chicken.

Man, you are a friggin idiot with this BS of looking for racist statements. How about you just keep your garbage to yourself.

primetime said:
He was brought in because he may be able to shed some light on the Bills' gameplan. I doubt he stays on the roster beyond this week.

You think BB is that concerned about finding a way to beat the Bills that he would need to waive Bam Childress to the practice squad so he can sign a bad ex-Bills player just to get insight into their game plan? I doubt it.

I've seen each of them a total of once.

Based on that, Welker is MUCH better. The boy has a burst, and great vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes