Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is Newsweek Magazine considered a right wing ragsheet? Or a "global warming ostrich"?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Apr 8, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wanna see how the global warming alarmists try to discredit this article.

"What most commentators—and many scientists—seem to miss is that the only thing we can say with certainly about climate is that it changes ... Looking back on the earth's climate history, it's apparent that there's no such thing as an optimal temperature—a climate at which everything is just right. The current alarm rests on the false assumption not only that we live in a perfect world, temperaturewise, but also that our warming forecasts for the year 2040 are somehow more reliable than the weatherman's forecast for next week."

"There is no evidence, for instance, that extreme weather events are increasing in any systematic way, according to scientists at the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the World Meteorological Organization and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change"

"Many of the most alarming studies rely on long-range predictions using inherently untrustworthy climate models, similar to those that cannot accurately forecast the weather a week from now." - Richard Lindzen, Professor of Meteorology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17997788/site/newsweek/
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Re: Is Newsweek Magazine considered a right wing ragsheet? Or a "global warming ostri

The global warming crap is just another Liberal attempt to control our lives. Through taxes and behavioral modification.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Re: Is Newsweek Magazine considered a right wing ragsheet? Or a "global warming ostri

This was posted a couple of days ago. I finally looked at it yesterday. Sums it up very well.

Penn and Teller bit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

//
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

I like how the article is by a guy whose research "has always been entirely funded by the U.S. government," and then the next sentence, is careful to note that he's not funded by any oil interests.

I'm sure there is a difference.

Anyway, you guys enjoy the little retro theme-party. The rest of us have moved on.

Where do you want the disco ball, anyway?

PFnV
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yep, and those Roman soldiers "moved on" 2000 years ago, laughing and yukking it up. "Ha ha, stupid fool, Jesus."

But guess who ended up in everybody's room watching over every household, and receiving prayers of hope and supplication ?!!

Hm-m-m.

//
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 4 / -2

What's funny is people who naysay about the issue have to make that point, whereas those who support the issue never need to distinguish where their money comes from.
  7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +85 / 6 / -9

#37 Jersey

Go back and read Henny Penny, than tell me who is living in the past.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

And I take it Time Magazine is some eco-crazy tree-hugger outfit?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1176980,00.html

Gentlemen, here are the sides of the debate:

- Current administration political figures, and a decreasing number of their allies in the legislative branch, and
    - corporate-sponsored professional deniers (in the midst of a pr campaign)

vs.

- The concensus of scientific experts worldwide, and
    - A guy with the world's top-grossing powerpoint presentation, who apparently leaves a big ecological footprint his own self.

Here is the debate itself:
    - Everyone knows it's getting hotter on average.
    - Greenhouse gases from human activities make places hotter.
    - Places also get hotter from natural causes.
    - Global warming "supporters" (or insert slur here, if you prefer,) say, "it's already getting hotter. Let's stop aiding the process."
    - Global warming "deniers" say "It's getting hotter but it's not really all our fault, let's make it hotter some more, since it's really nature's fault."

I don't personally have kids, but I have nieces and nephews... so if you guys are right, they can laugh at me when I'm a doddering old man. If the majority of scientists who actually study this issue are right, I think you'll be a tad more uncomfortable explaining to them where all the polar bears and glaciers went, not to mention populations of humans bordering deserts.

This has become one of the funnier online spectacles, the "I'm hoppin mad about 'the myth of' global warming" discussion. One day it's sunspots, one day it's "Martian warming disproves earth warming..." It reminds me of Reagan's secretary of the interior, Watt, saying that most pollution is caused by trees. Or was that the gipper himself?

Guys, get a grip. The man-made factors in climate change are currently not thought to completely manifest for a number of decades. That means that even if we cut all greenhouse gas emission today, we still have decades of the same ride. By the way, the world has been increasing its emissions over the decades. So if what we're seeing now is what we caused in 1960, we may have a real mess to deal with by 2057.

Species are dying off. Ice is breaking up. Glaciers are disappearing.

And you're buying the line of some industry shills about on a par with the guys that said "well, yes, a lot of smokers get lung cancer, but you can't PROVE that smoking CAUSES lung cancer..."

And what, exactly, is behind the U.N. commission report? Don't tell me, those stinkin' "have not" countries stacking the deck, trying to choke off our industry 'cuz they're jealous? Or is this the old "The UN hates America" story recycled for another issue? Since Russia and China also pressed strongly for more ambiguous language, I'm not sure that excuse works... but I'm sure the argument is coming.

Scientists not in lobbyists' hands seem not to have anything much to debate here, folks. Get with the program.

PFnV

PS WTF Jesus is in my living room? If I'd known I'd have brought him a little nosh... thanks for the tip, Fog. Right on point as always.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You forgot :

- Everyone knows the earth has naturally occuring heating and cooling periods, cooling periods have occured since the supposed global warming era should have been underway.