PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Ndamukong Suh getting out of control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support? I never did play football but I was paid to play hockey into my early 20's, so presume this qualifies me as having played, a sport, competitively.

Hate to tell you this but being respectful to the opposition was about the last thing on players and coaches minds. Let me tell you that when players and coaches livelihood is dependent upon winning, then all bets are off when it comes to ethics and morals. We did whatever the coach told us to do out on the ice. If that meant "taking out" an opposing player then that was done because if it wasn't there were hundreds of others as talented who were only to happy to kick me to the curb. Keep in mind that our coaches also depended on winning for their livelihood. What we learned from them was how to win. Nothing disrespectful about this let me tell you.

Not saying Suh is being coached coached to play on the edge but it sure wouldn't surprise me. And, outside of doing serious harm to a player, I have no issue with him playing as such. If opposing players do then they need to correct Suh's attitude out on the field themself.

Everything that you described is bush-league. No place in any level of sports.

I do not care about who is the classiest player in the league. I don't need anyone to win the classy award. I don't have a problem with chippy play. Intent to maim is something else entirely. IIRC, Rodney was so upset when he took out Trent Green he thought about retiring. I doubt Suh would give a crap. The dude is a loose cannon, coached by loose cannons.

I watched Rodney play here and I never understood the reputation, but it was likely forged during his Charger days. And after that, you get scrutinized in everything you do. It's the price you pay. Name me some examples of Rodney headhunting here in New England. I don't care what the media says or his peers say, they would probably also say TFB gets more calls than any QB in the league but that doesn't make it true.

First, asking me to pull up examples on the internet of Rodney Harrison's head hunting statistics is a loaded question.

Secondly, Rodney had a long history of illegal hits that drew him fines, even here. In all, Harrison paid $200,000 in fines to the NFL. In 2002, he was fined because of that helmet to helmet on Jerry Rice. On top of all of that, he was voted the dirtiest player in the NFL by a jury of his peers in both '04 and '06 (when he was with us, in case you forgot :p). He was voted dirtiest player again in 2008 by a poll of coaches. If all of that didn't do it for you, watch some of the hits in this video. These hits are exactly the type of hits that the NFL is cracking down on now, and that many of you are currently complaining about (i.e. - Meriweather getting crucified last year)...

Rodney Harrison - Hard Hitting NFL Safety - YouTube

By the way, that has a lot of good Pats clips. ^^

On top of all of that, did everybody around here forget that we have a certain DT that stomped on a helpless player's head, then looked like he was going to throttle his head coach on the sidelines a few years back? In case you did, here's a refresher...

Albert Haynesworth stomps Andre Gurode - YouTube

And yet everyone was accepting of Rodney and seems to be accepting of Haynesworth because they were "one of the boys". Yet when a guy from a team that the consensus doesn't like because they're "bullies" with a "bully" head coach does it, he's a piece of sh!t and anybody that likes that sort of intensity is a scumbag? I don't think I understand the logic here...

Last edited:
Not to be a Pats downer, but at least he didn't stomp a guys unguarded face with his cleats....

(Haynesworth)

Touche, sir. You beat me to it. I guess we're all scumbags for welcoming Big Al to our team.

Everything that you described is bush-league. No place in any level of sports.
As mentioned previously, when peoples livelihood are at stake, ethics and morals quickly leave the equation. If that makes it bush-league in your eyes then, what can I say, so be it. But, it's reality, at least at the pro hockey level. I can't imagine it being any different in any other pro sport where winning is the #1 objective of all involved.

Anyone else around, who played play pro in another sport, care to comment?

Last edited:
As mentioned previously, when peoples livelihood are at stake, ethics and morals quickly leave the equation.

Professional sports have a huge influence on the shaping of American culture and therefore have a commensurate responsibility. They need to be held to the same standards as the rest of society. That means that when people's livelihoods are at stake, ethics and morals need to be at the top of the list of priorities.

I really don't care that some of the players and coaches are goons, or selfish, or intellectual lowbrows, or emotionally immature. They don't get to set the standards, and if they insist on trying, they need to be run out of the profession, just like anyone else in any other profession is (or should be) if they try to put their personal emotional satisfaction ahead of the well being of their profession.

Professional sports have a huge influence on the shaping of American culture and therefore have a commensurate responsibility. They need to be held to the same standards as the rest of society. That means that when people's livelihoods are at stake, ethics and morals need to be at the top of the list of priorities.

Perhaps in an ideal world this is true but, in reality, it isn't the case. And it's not just the case with pro sports ......

I really don't care that some of the players and coaches are goons, or selfish, or intellectual lowbrows, or emotionally immature. They don't get to set the standards, and if they insist on trying, they need to be run out of the profession, just like anyone else in any other profession is (or should be) if they try to put their personal emotional satisfaction ahead of the well being of their profession.

Out on the field, or in an arena, violent behavior is allowed, encouraged even. It's not about setting any standards; they have been set for eons, at least in the case of hockey!

In the sport I was paid to play fighting was an integral part of the job title as was punishing opposing players any chance you got. If, in the process, an ankle or forearm was slashed and broke, or butt end took out a rib or two, or an elbow broke a nose then c'est la vie; it comes with the territory.

Last edited:
First, asking me to pull up examples on the internet of Rodney Harrison's head hunting statistics is a loaded question.

Secondly, Rodney had a long history of illegal hits that drew him fines, even here. In all, Harrison paid $200,000 in fines to the NFL. In 2002, he was fined because of that helmet to helmet on Jerry Rice. On top of all of that, he was voted the dirtiest player in the NFL by a jury of his peers in both '04 and '06 (when he was with us, in case you forgot :p). He was voted dirtiest player again in 2008 by a poll of coaches. If all of that didn't do it for you, watch some of the hits in this video. These hits are exactly the type of hits that the NFL is cracking down on now, and that many of you are currently complaining about (i.e. - Meriweather getting crucified last year)...

Rodney Harrison - Hard Hitting NFL Safety - YouTube

By the way, that has a lot of good Pats clips. ^^

On top of all of that, did everybody around here forget that we have a certain DT that stomped on a helpless player's head, then looked like he was going to throttle his head coach on the sidelines a few years back? In case you did, here's a refresher...

Albert Haynesworth stomps Andre Gurode - YouTube

And yet everyone was accepting of Rodney and seems to be accepting of Haynesworth because they were "one of the boys". Yet when a guy from a team that the consensus doesn't like because they're "bullies" with a "bully" head coach does it, he's a piece of sh!t and anybody that likes that sort of intensity is a scumbag? I don't think I understand the logic here...

So Rodney paid $200,000 is his long career....Suh only early in his second year is nearly at $30,000 in fines ...if his 'shoot to kill' attitude continues throughout his career and he plays 14 years,that would equal about $400,000 in fines

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid, Kontra. That was a lot of hard hitting and I recall that back then, a lot of those hits were actually encouraged. That was in the days of Jacked Up, I'm pretty sure. Lots of those highlights are from his Charger days, as well.

I didn't see one thing that was as disturbing as Suh grabbing a QB by the face mask, twisting his neck around, securing a chokehold and then throwing him to the ground though. Twice.

As for his taunting, yeah, it's only words but it's germane to the discussion because it's extra evidence that Suh doesn't care at all if anyone gets hurt. He is an a-hole.

Eta: not sure why you brought up Hayneswprth as plenty of Pats fans were not thrilled to get him and some still aren't happy about it. Most everyone cheerfully acknowledges he is an a- hole and as long as he doesn't stomp anyone while he's here as a Pat, I will root for him to play hard. I would root for Suh if he played here as well, as long as he stopped playing like an a- hole.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid, Kontra. That was a lot of hard hitting and I recall that back then, a lot of those hits were actually encouraged. That was in the days of Jacked Up, I'm pretty sure. Lots of those highlights are from his Charger days, as well.

I didn't see one thing that was as disturbing as Suh grabbing a QB by the face mask, twisting his neck around, securing a chokehold and then throwing him to the ground though. Twice.

As for his taunting, yeah, it's only words but it's germane to the discussion because it's extra evidence that Suh doesn't care at all if anyone gets hurt. He is an a-hole.

Eta: not sure why you brought up Hayneswprth as plenty of Pats fans were not thrilled to get him and some still aren't happy about it. Most everyone cheerfully acknowledges he is an a- hole and as long as he doesn't stomp anyone while he's here as a Pat, I will root for him to play hard. I would root for Suh if he played here as well, as long as he stopped playing like an a- hole.

Whether they were encouraged or not is irrelevant. They were still hits that could cause similar neck and head injuries as, say, a tug to the facemask. Not that I'm complaining. Again, I love my defenses to play with this sort of ruthless abandon.

Perhaps in an ideal world this is true but, in reality, it isn't the case. And it's not just the case with pro sports ......

Out on the field, or in an arena, violent behavior is allowed, encouraged even. It's not about setting any standards; they have been set for eons, at least in the case of hockey!

In the sport I was paid to play fighting was an integral part of the job title as was punishing opposing players any chance you got. If, in the process, an ankle or forearm was slashed and broke, or butt end took out a rib or two, or an elbow broke a nose then c'est la vie; it comes with the territory.

You made it one level higher than I did as an athlete (I rode the bench in college) and so I must defer to you on what happens at the pro level. On top of that I was/am a soccer guy although I did play hockey in high school.

However, the point of this thread is taunting injured players. That's something that I am sure you would agree is going too far.

Touche, sir. You beat me to it. I guess we're all scumbags for welcoming Big Al to our team.

Only speaking for myself, but I lost respect for Haynesworth for the Gurode incident, and still don't like him. Wasn't my choice to trade for him, stuck with him, hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back