PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Nate Clement really worth $30m with an $18m signing bonus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell no! The only team that may give him that money is the Redskins. But the Redskins are starting to come to their senses that relying on Free Agency may not be the way to go. Also, the only corner that can demand that type of money is Champ Bailey. Bailey is a special player that will take out any top reciever at any given time. Clements is a little inconsistant and gets beat on occasion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-clements&prov=ap&type=lgns

I mean he's a nice player, for sure, but I don't consider him to be an elite player or anything.

$30m for a mid-to-upper level servicable cornerback?!?!?!

Is the NFL trying to be Major League Baseball, part II?

I would make a bid for him. He is a key addition on the corner if he can be acquired, and with him, and hopefully Samuel on the other corner, a possible first round pick at corner, and the moving of Wilson up from Safety, the corner position would be completely solidified...

If paying for him, or Lucas, to improve a weak spot on the defense, overall it would be worth it.

I like Lucas, if he gets cut. I don't think Lucas will try to break the bank but he won't be cheap. Lucas is a beast at corner and really can beat up recievers at the line. Would be a perfect addition to the team.

The Bills are essentially saying that they refuse to get into a Redskins type jam. By only doling out the money up to the cap, they'll never have to cut anyone or squeeze anyone in, in order to meet the cap requiremnets. personally, I think they need to give themselves a little bit more leeway.

Also, if you adopt this approach, it pretty much means you have to go out and spend on free agents each and every year, or otherwise you'll be cheating your fans. Sometimes there are any good FAs out there to fill your needs, and you end up throwing good dollars at bad players. For instance, the word up here in Buffalo is that they will let Clements and London Fletcher go, then probably cut Takeo Spikes, and then they'll go out and sign players like Cato June.

He's worth every penny if he can shut down an elite wideout like Chad Jackson.

Hell no! The only team that may give him that money is the Redskins. But the Redskins are starting to come to their senses that relying on Free Agency may not be the way to go. Also, the only corner that can demand that type of money is Champ Bailey. Bailey is a special player that will take out any top reciever at any given time. Clements is a little inconsistant and gets beat on occasion.
the cap money expansion will dictate that all salaries rise. If you remember last yr the one guy who got this yrs money last yr was LeCharles Bentley. I think NClemments is getting 20 mil plus and the skins are not the top choice because even with restructures they can only clear about 10-12 mil. I think the teams that have the ammo and have the need for a shut down CB are the 49ers, Titans, Jets, and Saints. The Bills are a darkhorse but with the press conference Marv had yesterday in Buffalo I think it is a lock they will let him go and spend their cash elsewhere.

Last edited:
The only mention of $30 mil in the article I think was the Bills cap space. $18 million is what Clement said he's looking for in a signing bonus. I guess length of contract might play a role in that as well

In any event $18 mil upfront is way too much even in the uncharted waters of the new CBA

The only issue here is whether it makes sense for the Pats to try to come to an agreement with Samuel before or after the Clement talks finish, as they run the risk of having Clement set the bar inordinately high

The only mention of $30 mil in the article I think was the Bills cap space. $18 million is what Clement said he's looking for in a signing bonus. I guess length of contract might play a role in that as well

In any event $18 mil upfront is way too much even in the uncharted waters of the new CBA

The only issue here is whether it makes sense for the Pats to try to come to an agreement with Samuel before or after the Clement talks finish, as they run the risk of having Clement set the bar inordinately high

You are correct. I misread the article. The $30m is what the Bills have budgeted overall for FA. Clements is seeking an $18m signing bonus, which I still think is more than he's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes