PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is my prediction correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SamBam39 said:
Look, for any offer to mean anything to branch or the pats, it has to be realistic on both ends - the contract offer and the trade offer.

the pats aren't gonna dump deion just because he'd like them to.
so saying deion will be more angry if the pats don't accept a poor offer from the jets is just silly.
let deion be more angry then - who cares. I don't think mangini is doing anything of the sort. and why would he continue of the vikes or seahawks are negotiating a more realisitc offer? if it was a ploy, he'd be done and gone by now.

I can see the point, but I think it is a bit unrealisitic - maybe I'm wrong.
Who says he is continuing? We dont know that.

Question though.
You are Eric Mangini. You see your division foe do what the Pats did, and see the opportunity to almost guarantee Branch will never play for the Pats again at no risk to yourself. You know trading fro Branch isnt the right move for your franchise though. Would you NOT make him an offer that is bond to further alienate him from the Pats, and then be unrealistic in your trade offer?

Or being less conspiracy ridden, theoretically every player has a price. Lets say you wold take Branch almost for free, but wouldnt give up high picks for him. You make the offer, then lowball the trade. You are pretty sure the PAts will say no. You lose nothing, but if you get lucky you get him for next to nothing. Worst case, you alienate the player further from your division foe.

AndyJohnson said:
Why?
Everyone here believes the Jets are sincere.
Are you really telling me that the 2 teams failing to agree on trade compensation would reveal to the world the Jets were never serious?

You yourself apparently believe the Jets are sincere. Did you fall off the pumpkin truck?

I do not allege to know what the Jets are or are not offering. If my writing was unclear on that topic, that's on me.

I am saying that anyone with a 3 digit IQ would spot a hypothetical ruse offer for what it was. It would only have creds with the unthinking sports press.

Wasnt D. Branch drafted in the second rd? I for one would think we got shafted if we traded him for a 2nd round pick, when surely he has been coached up and trained to first rd. quality. Not to mention the fact that he has BIG game exp. and has proven that he can show up in those situations. Definately a first rounder has to be given, IMO. Adding a good player to the mix for a 2nd rounder just seems like a risk to me. A GOOD player is up to the evaluators I guess, but I would much rather ask for a 1st, a young talent, and a mid rd pick like a 3rd or fourth. Now that seems fair for both sides to me. Pull that trade off, then we can all just sit and watch as Branch injures himself midway through the season, and laugh our asses off. It's all in the system baby. You think other teams are really picking up on that yet?
In the end though, I dont think Branch is going anywhere.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I do not allege to know what the Jets are or are not offering. If my writing was unclear on that topic, that's on me.

I am saying that anyone with a 3 digit IQ would spot a hypothetical ruse offer for what it was. It would only have creds with the unthinking sports press.

OK, aside from throwing insults, you offer no reason why.

The Jets make Branch an offer. Then they play hardball on the trade.
How does 'anyone with a 3 digit IQ see through that'?

Its ludicrous. You are assuming apparently that the Jets make Branch the offer, then call the Pats and say, 'just kidding, we don't want him'.

Very simple. Pats are asking for 2 #1s or whatever.
Jets call and say Stallworth was worth a 3, we will give you a 4. Deal dies.
Or Jets ask Pats what they want. They say too much offer less than know BB would take, and say they had a deal in place but the Pats demands were too high.

Its ridiculous to think that even an amateur couldn't pull off an attempt to look sincere, while never intending to pay what the Pats would demand.

Your hypothetical is ludicrous. Anyone can see the transparency in such a hypothetical offer. Were they serious, the pick would be reasonable or have other value along with it such that there was some credibility. Otherwise anyone capable of reasoning would see the postulated situation for the sham it is.

AndyJohnson said:
I think you are missing my point, let me illiustrate.

1) Mangini knows that Deion Branch isnt going to be enough to make a difference and make the Jets a winner now, they are too far away.
2) Mangini knows draft picks are his most important asset, and huge contract to fragile WRs do not fit his plan.
3) Mangini knows the Pats are his competition.
4) Mangini DOESNT WANT BRANCH.
5) The Pats, to solve a contract impasse send Branch out on the market to prove their offer is a good one.
If you are Mangini, why WOULDNT YOU make him an offer you know the Pats wont match, and then just refuse to make the trade? Clearly Branch and his agent are going to place the blame on the Pats for demanding too much, and not bargaining in good faith.
Mangini isnt really offering a frivilous contract because he has ZERO INTENTION of ever executing it. All he has done is drive a wedge between Branch and the Pats at absolutely no risk to himself.

Interesting theory, but you're ascribing a Machiavellian intelligence to a guy who was screwing up his job last year until his boss (the guy a allegedly wants to screw over) pulled him aside and straightened him out, thereby in reality making his new job possible.

He could be a bit miffed at BB. After all, the Guru told him he wasn't really ready for the position that was offered him. If that's true, then maybe Mangini is outsmarting himself.

We'll just have to wait and see.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Your hypothetical is ludicrous. Anyone can see the transparency in such a hypothetical offer. Were they serious, the pick would be reasonable or have other value along with it such that there was some credibility. Otherwise anyone capable of reasoning would see the postulated situation for the sham it is.

Again, you give no reasoning.

Let me spell this out for you slowly.

I want to drive a wedge between you and your player. You give me a chance to negotiate a contract with him, then a trade with you. I want to drive that wedge. I make an offer the player likes, I tell the player I expect the demands of the trade to be very difficult to pull off, because I believe the Patriots never intended to trade you, and are playing games with you. I really want you on my team, but have to be realistic about what I can give up, and Im not sure the Pats are being realistic. (Gee, do you think its a stretch for Branch and his agent to think the Pats aren't going to do whats best for him). We agree on a deal, I offer less than you want. You may want a 2nd, I offer a 3rd. How is that so ridiculous that anyone sees through it?
I made waht appears to be a legimate contract offer to you, and a legitimate trade offer. Your team wants more than I am willing to give up.
THIS HAPPENS EVERY DAY that teams attempt to make trades and one team wont give up as much as the other wants.

Your argument almost assumes Mangini goes on NFLLive and publicly offers a bag of footballs to the Patriots for Branch.

Have you ever been involved in any type of negotiation? Sides can be miles apart and seem sincere, interested and legitmate. There is no predetermined trade value. The Jets offer whatever they want. If they are simply trying to make life hard for the Patriots, there is no clear signal that they are lowballing because they never intended to trade, or they simply disagree on value.

Patriotic Fervor said:
Interesting theory, but you're ascribing a Machiavellian intelligence to a guy who was screwing up his job last year until his boss (the guy a allegedly wants to screw over) pulled him aside and straightened him out, thereby in reality making his new job possible.

He could be a bit miffed at BB. After all, the Guru told him he wasn't really ready for the position that was offered him. If that's true, then maybe Mangini is outsmarting himself.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I dont think there is really a whole lot of intelligence involved in putting that together. In fact, its almost a no-brainer. And it appears from the PFT report, that Chayut himself came to the Jets with offer to do just that. What are they going to do, say no, I would rather burn my bridge with you (with nothing to gain from it) and I'd prefer not to pursue a riskfree way to hurt my competitor.

Anyone who thinks the Jets wouldnt jump all over this chance baffles me.
By the way, there is still the chance the Jets really do want Branch, but I cannot see that as a responsible decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back