Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is my prediction correct?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by AndyJohnson, Sep 1, 2006.

1. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 29 / -23

When the Pats sent Branch out to negotiate with other temas, I predicted that if Mangini had learned anything from BB he would give Branch a huge offer that was more than his value of what he was willing to pay him, then refuse to agree on any reasonable trade compensation, thereby driving a wedge between Branch and the Pats, ie overinflating Branchs opinion of himself, pricing the Pats out of keeping him, and plssing Branch off because he has his deal but the Pats are asking for ridiculous trade compensation.

Has Mangini outsmarted BB?

2. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +144 / 10 / -3

#12 Jersey

I think Beoli has outsmarted himself more than anything.

3. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Where exactly did you make that prediction? I'd love to see it. If so, hats off to you. I don't remember seeing it though.

4. SamBam39

SamBam39 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

no, mangini just wants him.
    but seahawks, vikings want him more.
    sounds like.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +700 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

If Seattle is really in the biding too, then I would say your prediction may not be correct.

6. TNPatsFan

TNPatsFan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well if Profootballtalk is correct in what the Jets offered him, then they outsmarted Branch's agent, not BB. Let's see.. The Pats offered me $31 million over 5 years, the Jets offered me $36 million over six years. I'd better take that Jets offer! (umm, you might want to check the math on that, Mr Chayut).

7. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 29 / -23

In the thread that was started saying Pats give Branch right to negotiate trade.

8. Slagathor

Slagathor Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

I'll be curious what portion of that deal is signing bonus/guaranteed money.

9. SCPatBoy

SCPatBoy On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You guys have lost your heads if you for a Second believe that........If you don't think BB/Pioli knew that there would be a few teams to offer branch more money, then you are really insulting those guys.......They might not have known which teams, but they I'm sure were well prepared for a scenario of teams offering Branch more.....The offers aren't light years ahead of the Pats....Just enough to be a little more then the Pats........This whole wedge being driven card is being way overplayed. Because in doing that you go off the premise that BB/ Pioli never expected a team to offer more....That is just crazy today where someone will always offer a player more and essentially overpay......I believe BB/Pioli have been prepared for this and will execute a deal that is the best for the organization!

10. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If the Jets compensation really would be a 2nd round draft pick and "a pretty good player, I would say, no Mangini did not outsmart BB. That sounds like a pretty decent offer...depending on the player of course.

11. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 29 / -23

Regardless of whether other teams are involved, Mangini offered a phony deal that he knew he would never consumate because he would refuse whatever the Pats asked for in return is my point.

12. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly, that is the key to the deal as far as Branch is concerned.

13. emoney_33

emoney_33 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Personally I think BB had no other choice. They made an offer, and never received a counter. Branch never showed for camp and they were just at a stalemate. So he lets him seek a trade and get contract offers. This is the counter they are looking for. I think BB may make one more offer, if Branch declines, he gets traded. Unless there is nothing worthwile in a trade, in which case he tells Branch to go home until week 10, and branch gets franchised/traded next year.

I don't think Mangini or any other team would make a ridiculous offer with no intentions of actually making a trade. I just don't see the NFL working that way, teams focus on bettering their team not screwing one other team. They are competing against 30 other teams for the superbowl, not just the pats.

The report of 6 years $36M is something the pats will not match IMO. Maybe they offer to give him 4 years, starting this year but that's as far as they go. Branch probably won't accept this with idiot Chayut as his agent so it all depends on what the patriots get offered in a trade. Branch, IMO, will not play one down this year for the patriots. But BB wasn't outsmarted, he had no other choice.

14. jaychamp

jaychamp On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Not really because we don't know how much is guaranteed. Those numbers there don't tell us anything.,

If the Jets offer some ridiculous trade making it obvious it's just to drive up the price, that's not going to help Branch's negotiations. The Jets wouldn't even risk making a reasonable offer if that was their plan, because it could easily blow up in their face. They'd be risking alot more than the Pats.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  15. Murphys95

Murphys95 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good post. If Mangini learned anything from Belichick, it would be not to offer frivolous contracts. What Belichick did one week ago was a means to an end. He opened the door for Deion, and he did it for a reason. Just look at the activity online right now - this matter must be resolved before too long or it will become a huge distraction.

16. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 29 / -23

Not if its a ploy. Very easy for Mangini to make an offer Branch would jump at, knowing all along we would never pull the trigger on the trade. Going through the motions of trade talks doesnt mean he really intends to make one. If Im Mangini, I jump all over a chance to effectively end Branchs career in NE, keep the Pats tied up in trade talks with me, een though I willnever agree. When you are competing, harming your competitor is a way to improve yourself.

Think about it. If Eric Mangini can pull a 'scam' to prevent the Pats from having Deion Branch for the next 6 years, he has improved his chances of winning the division over that time.
    Quite frankly, I'd be shocked if Mangini DIDNT try to screw the Pats here.

17. Jacky Roberts

Jacky Roberts 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If I'm BB, I'm rejecting any trade offer. Let Branch sit until week 11, franchise him next summer, and demand that he sign, play, or take someone's TWO first rounders to sign.

18. smg93

smg93 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Why are you so sure that the Jets offer is a ploy? Is that because you "predicted" that?

19. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I must say, that's very prescient.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  20. jaychamp

jaychamp On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Out of curiousity because I really don't know. Was Mangini given the same control over the Jets as BB has over the Pats?