PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Moss worth $11,257,280?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you give marshall a qb of bradys calibe watch out. orton is not even remotely close to that level. td's arent the most important stat for a wr. how many times do you see a guy go 70 yards and get tackled at the 10 only to have the rb's run it in?

moss gets taken out of games more easily against good teams than these guys do. bailey and revis both completely shut him down. moss builds up his stats vs **** teams. miami and indy both had rookie cb's on him, tennessee didnt come to play, and teams like atlanta and buffalo just suck at cb and at getting pressure. the 3td vs jax were to keep him from pouting and build his confidence.

Every player does better against weaker competition. Isn't it odd that Brandon Marshall put up 21 of his catches against THE COLTS? Against Revis, Moss was one of two players that scored a TD! The only elite WR with more yards then Moss against Revis was Andre Johnson and that was by only a couple. (35 yards for Dre') Revis shut down Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Ocho Cinco, and everyone else he went against.

Bailey didnt' shut Moss down. Remember the first play of the game where Moss was missed WIDE OPEN in the endzone? Or are we forgetting that play because of how great Brady is? Besides, Moss got an interception that game (suprisingly it was the first one that the terrible Kyle Orton threw all year!)

Brandon Marshall: 2 games with under 4 receptions. 6 games with under 50 yds. 7 games with atleast 1 td. 10 games with under 12.0 avg

Randy Moss: 5 games with under 4 receptions. 5 games with under 50 yds. 8 games with atleast 1 td. 5 games with under 12.0 avg

Reggie Wayne: 3 games with under 4 receptions. 5 games with under 50 yds. 9 games with atleast 1 td. 6 games with under 12.0 avg

Every player does better against weaker competition. Isn't it odd that Brandon Marshall put up 21 of his catches against THE COLTS? Against Revis, Moss was one of two players that scored a TD! The only elite WR with more yards then Moss against Revis was Andre Johnson and that was by only a couple. (35 yards for Dre') Revis shut down Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Ocho Cinco, and everyone else he went against.

Bailey didnt' shut Moss down. Remember the first play of the game where Moss was missed WIDE OPEN in the endzone? Or are we forgetting that play because of how great Brady is? Besides, Moss got an interception that game (suprisingly it was the first one that the terrible Kyle Orton threw all year!)

Brandon Marshall: 2 games with under 4 receptions. 6 games with under 50 yds. 7 games with atleast 1 td. 10 games with under 12.0 avg

Randy Moss: 5 games with under 4 receptions. 5 games with under 50 yds. 8 games with atleast 1 td. 5 games with under 12.0 avg

Reggie Wayne: 3 games with under 4 receptions. 5 games with under 50 yds. 9 games with atleast 1 td. 6 games with under 12.0 avg

Granted Brady was inconsistent for a good part of the season, but even Brady at his level of this play season is a better QB than Schaub and Orton. You're evaluating these WR's in fantasy football type of way, basing it on TD's and such.

I'm just saying I like the style of Andre and Marshall better than the style of Moss. It's hard to consistently get the ball to Moss when the best thing he does is go deep. Going deep is a lower percentage pass, Brady's accuracy and mechanics weren't great this year, Brady was timid in the pocket at times, and we often didn't have the time to go downfield like we did in 2007.

I'd prefer to have a guy like Marshall and Andre who aren't as fast as Moss but are more physical and easier to get the ball to. It's a fact that Moss is a finesse player who doesn't like to go over the middle or get hit. Marshall, Fitzgerald, Johnson all do. It's easier to get the ball to them consistently if they are willing to go over the middle and fight through coverage. I personally think it's easier to take away a guy like Moss because of this.

If you want to look at the stats, Moss had 5 impressive games. Buffalo - just a bad defense and team in general w/ no corners to match up with him and not an attacking defense. Atlanta - no corners that can match up with him and didn't get a ton of pressure on Brady. Miami - rookie corner prone to penalties and mistakes due to inexperience on him. Colts - depleted secondary w.o Sanders and with two rookie CB's. Tennesse - didn't show up in the snow and Pats ran up the score and built up their stats, plus Finnegan was hurt and didn't dress. Other than that, he didn't do much. At the end of the season vs Buffalo in Buffalo and vs JAX, they were trying so hard to get him the ball after the Carolina fiasco. That's why he had 3 TD in the Jacksonville game. Get him the ball so he doesn't go into a shell and begin to pout.

I've been a huge Moss fan ever since he got here, but the deficiencies in his game really kill you in the playoffs when you're playing good defenses. Against the Ravens you rarely have shots to take downfield. You need a guy who will go over the middle against a physical hard hitting team. A guy like Marshall or Fitzgerald will do that. Moss will not. That is why he hasn't done anything for us in the playoffs. You put a CB and shade a safety on him and he's basically eliminated from the game. If I were a team like the Jets, I'd put Revis on Welker to stop him from getting 12 catches and double team Moss. He doesn't fight through the double team, he often sees the two guys on him and just takes the play off.

Granted Brady was inconsistent for a good part of the season, but even Brady at his level of this play season is a better QB than Schaub and Orton. You're evaluating these WR's in fantasy football type of way, basing it on TD's and such.

I'm just saying I like the style of Andre and Marshall better than the style of Moss. It's hard to consistently get the ball to Moss when the best thing he does is go deep. Going deep is a lower percentage pass, Brady's accuracy and mechanics weren't great this year, Brady was timid in the pocket at times, and we often didn't have the time to go downfield like we did in 2007.

I'd prefer to have a guy like Marshall and Andre who aren't as fast as Moss but are more physical and easier to get the ball to. It's a fact that Moss is a finesse player who doesn't like to go over the middle or get hit. Marshall, Fitzgerald, Johnson all do. It's easier to get the ball to them consistently if they are willing to go over the middle and fight through coverage. I personally think it's easier to take away a guy like Moss because of this.

If you want to look at the stats, Moss had 5 impressive games. Buffalo - just a bad defense and team in general w/ no corners to match up with him and not an attacking defense. Atlanta - no corners that can match up with him and didn't get a ton of pressure on Brady. Miami - rookie corner prone to penalties and mistakes due to inexperience on him. Colts - depleted secondary w.o Sanders and with two rookie CB's. Tennesse - didn't show up in the snow and Pats ran up the score and built up their stats, plus Finnegan was hurt and didn't dress. Other than that, he didn't do much. At the end of the season vs Buffalo in Buffalo and vs JAX, they were trying so hard to get him the ball after the Carolina fiasco. That's why he had 3 TD in the Jacksonville game. Get him the ball so he doesn't go into a shell and begin to pout.

I've been a huge Moss fan ever since he got here, but the deficiencies in his game really kill you in the playoffs when you're playing good defenses. Against the Ravens you rarely have shots to take downfield. You need a guy who will go over the middle against a physical hard hitting team. A guy like Marshall or Fitzgerald will do that. Moss will not. That is why he hasn't done anything for us in the playoffs. You put a CB and shade a safety on him and he's basically eliminated from the game. If I were a team like the Jets, I'd put Revis on Welker to stop him from getting 12 catches and double team Moss. He doesn't fight through the double team, he often sees the two guys on him and just takes the play off.

First off, good post.

Second, Moss only got three TDs to keep him happy? Why wouldn't the Patriots do that every week? They obviously have a hard time scoring TDs in the redzone, and Moss getting three TD's will keep everyone happy, IMO.

Today he was thrown the ball FIVE times, and he caught FIVE passes. I almost think Brady was forcing the ball to Aiken.

Larry Fitzgerald vs Randy Moss. I'd say Warner was as good as Brady this year.

Fitzgerald - 97 catches - 1092 yards - 11.3 average - 13 TDs - 153 targets - 295 YAC.
Moss - 83 catches - 1264 yards - 15.2 average - 13 TDs - 138 targets - 319 YAC.

Again, what makes Fitzgerald better? IF Moss was thrown the ball as much as Fitzgerald is, he would have as many catches even if he is a downfield threat.

I just finished watching the Packers Cards game on DVR. Between the two of them they have about 6-8 WR's better than Moss. Randy Moss is not worth the money, he's a one trick pony. He doesn't go over the middle, he isn't physical and his hands aren't that great. I've seen him drop a ton of passes he should have had the past few years.

I'd rather see the money invested in some young physical guys who can go over the middle and who don't drop to the ground as soon as they catch the ball.

When was the last time Moss showed up in a big game, it's like he isn't even there?

First off, good post.

Second, Moss only got three TDs to keep him happy? Why wouldn't the Patriots do that every week? They obviously have a hard time scoring TDs in the redzone, and Moss getting three TD's will keep everyone happy, IMO.

Today he was thrown the ball FIVE times, and he caught FIVE passes. I almost think Brady was forcing the ball to Aiken.

Larry Fitzgerald vs Randy Moss. I'd say Warner was as good as Brady this year.

Fitzgerald - 97 catches - 1092 yards - 11.3 average - 13 TDs - 153 targets - 295 YAC.
Moss - 83 catches - 1264 yards - 15.2 average - 13 TDs - 138 targets - 319 YAC.

Again, what makes Fitzgerald better? IF Moss was thrown the ball as much as Fitzgerald is, he would have as many catches even if he is a downfield threat.

Good convo back and forth.

Fitzgerald had sort of a down year after posting back to back 1400+ yard seasons, but if given the choice who would you take for one year Moss or Fitzgerald?

Forget the stats, who do you think is the more complete WR via the eye test? Moss' speed and ability to get downfield is second to none, I agree. That's what has made him a gamebreaker his whole career. However, Fitzgerald is the more complete WR in my eyes. He doesn't have the speed of Moss, but he fights off coverage, works the middle of the field, provides just as big of a target in the red zone as Moss, and finds a way to get open regardless of the coverage he is up against.

If you want to look a the stats, then let's look where it really matters. Look at what Fitz did last year in the playoffs. Can you realistically see Moss putting up anywhere near those type of stats in the playoffs? Fitzgerald took over every game he played in, regardless of what type of coverage he was up against. He went against some pretty good defenses last year too. Philly, Carolina, and Pitt were all very good defenses. When you get to the playoffs and all of the teams are good, the deep ball isn't as effective. More and more teams are playing the attacking style that the Jets, Ravens, Steelers, etc. play and there are guys in the backfield forcing Brady to get rid of the ball before Moss can get behind the defense. That's where you need the guy to be able to go over the middle, get involved in the short and intermediate passing game, and take on the role of a possession WR. Moss isn't that type of WR, Fitzgerald is.

Of course Randy Moss is worth the money, he lead the league in receiving td's and could/should have had a handful more if Brady would have been more accurate with his deep ball.

I can't believe that a guy that didn't even have a ball go his way before the score was 24-0 is getting so much heat today. Brady threw two picks (one of them in Aiken's direction which would have been "Randy's fault" if he was the intended receiver), Faulk dropped a ball, Edelman dropped a ball, Watson dropped a ball. Moss? No drops.

For those talking about Moss's playoff performances in New England, he was great in the Super Bowl, go back and watch that game if you can stomach it. Look at the number of times Moss was open and the ball wasn't delivered due to pressure or inaccuracy. If you listened to WEEI in the week after that game, you would know that Moss was open for a TD on the play where Brady was strip sacked prior to halftime.

This team tried to run a multiple WR offense with only 1 legitimate outside the numbers WR and it's Moss's fault it didn't work?

As for his numbers in 2008, do you remember how many times Cassell missed him deep? It was insane, yet he still found a way to get 1,000 yards.

The only way Moss isn't a Patriot next year is if the Patriots decide they want to rebuild.

That's his cap number for 2010. Highest on the team (Brady and Thomas are close behind).

Does his performance in 2008 and 2009 warrant the Pats paying him that in the final year of his contract? If they release him, it will save about $6M off the "cap." (there probably won't be one)

There is no cap for 2010... Not under the current CBA.. So does it matter?

I can see worse ways of starting a rebuilding season than to start with Moss, Edelman, two speedy free agent receivers, and Aiken as my five receivers.

That's rebuilding! Why would I get rid of Moss?

Of course Randy Moss is worth the money, he lead the league in receiving td's and could/should have had a handful more if Brady would have been more accurate with his deep ball.

I can't believe that a guy that didn't even have a ball go his way before the score was 24-0 is getting so much heat today. Brady threw two picks (one of them in Aiken's direction which would have been "Randy's fault" if he was the intended receiver), Faulk dropped a ball, Edelman dropped a ball, Watson dropped a ball. Moss? No drops.

For those talking about Moss's playoff performances in New England, he was great in the Super Bowl, go back and watch that game if you can stomach it. Look at the number of times Moss was open and the ball wasn't delivered due to pressure or inaccuracy. If you listened to WEEI in the week after that game, you would know that Moss was open for a TD on the play where Brady was strip sacked prior to halftime.

This team tried to run a multiple WR offense with only 1 legitimate outside the numbers WR and it's Moss's fault it didn't work?

As for his numbers in 2008, do you remember how many times Cassell missed him deep? It was insane, yet he still found a way to get 1,000 yards.

The only way Moss isn't a Patriot next year is if the Patriots decide they want to rebuild.

Good convo back and forth.

Fitzgerald had sort of a down year after posting back to back 1400+ yard seasons, but if given the choice who would you take for one year Moss or Fitzgerald?

Forget the stats, who do you think is the more complete WR via the eye test? Moss' speed and ability to get downfield is second to none, I agree. That's what has made him a gamebreaker his whole career. However, Fitzgerald is the more complete WR in my eyes. He doesn't have the speed of Moss, but he fights off coverage, works the middle of the field, provides just as big of a target in the red zone as Moss, and finds a way to get open regardless of the coverage he is up against.

If you want to look a the stats, then let's look where it really matters. Look at what Fitz did last year in the playoffs. Can you realistically see Moss putting up anywhere near those type of stats in the playoffs? Fitzgerald took over every game he played in, regardless of what type of coverage he was up against. He went against some pretty good defenses last year too. Philly, Carolina, and Pitt were all very good defenses. When you get to the playoffs and all of the teams are good, the deep ball isn't as effective. More and more teams are playing the attacking style that the Jets, Ravens, Steelers, etc. play and there are guys in the backfield forcing Brady to get rid of the ball before Moss can get behind the defense. That's where you need the guy to be able to go over the middle, get involved in the short and intermediate passing game, and take on the role of a possession WR. Moss isn't that type of WR, Fitzgerald is.

I do not see Moss putting up the stats Fitzgerald did in the playoffs. I honestly don't see anyone doing that, it was just incredible. But for a single season I would take Moss, no question. I believe the playcalling is terrible in New England. Last year (with Cassel) Moss really turned it on towards the middle of the season when they started calling him screens and using natural picks. This season? The coach called three plays for him, go deep, do a ten yard curl, and a shallow cross. It was so predictable and easy to cover. Yet Moss still got open on the same three plays over and over. Do you remember the 75 yard screen that Moss caught against the Cardinals last year? Or the 35 yard screen he caught against the Broncos? (in a game he put up 2 TDs!)

Fitzgerald didn't even impress me today. He scored a TD when Woodson tripped over his feet and another when he ran Woodson over, offensive P.I. Outside of these two plays he did nothing, besides fumble. Both TDs came on single coverage due to the other talented players on the offense. How often is Moss going to see that single coverage? Especially with Wes out.

^ LOL @ the guy right above me. 7 WRs he would take over Moss? If thats the case, I also watched 2 QBs I would take over Brady (7 if you count the entire weekend...)

Edit - lol to whoever the guy that said there was 7 better WRs then Moss this weekend, wherever that post was. Didn't realize there was so many new posts

Last edited:
That's his cap number for 2010. Highest on the team (Brady and Thomas are close behind).

Does his performance in 2008 and 2009 warrant the Pats paying him that in the final year of his contract? If they release him, it will save about $6M off the "cap." (there probably won't be one)

Hell No.

Sh!tcan his soft, lazy ass; and Adalius', too. Save it for those who actually have the speed, desire & talent to be worth the money they are paid.

I do not see Moss putting up the stats Fitzgerald did in the playoffs. I honestly don't see anyone doing that, it was just incredible. But for a single season I would take Moss, no question. I believe the playcalling is terrible in New England. Last year (with Cassel) Moss really turned it on towards the middle of the season when they started calling him screens and using natural picks. This season? The coach called three plays for him, go deep, do a ten yard curl, and a shallow cross. It was so predictable and easy to cover. Yet Moss still got open on the same three plays over and over. Do you remember the 75 yard screen that Moss caught against the Cardinals last year? Or the 35 yard screen he caught against the Broncos? (in a game he put up 2 TDs!)

Fitzgerald didn't even impress me today. He scored a TD when Woodson tripped over his feet and another when he ran Woodson over, offensive P.I. Outside of these two plays he did nothing, besides fumble. Both TDs came on single coverage due to the other talented players on the offense. How often is Moss going to see that single coverage? Especially with Wes out.

^ LOL @ the guy right above me. 7 WRs he would take over Moss? If thats the case, I also watched 2 QBs I would take over Brady (7 if you count the entire weekend...)

Edit - lol to whoever the guy that said there was 7 better WRs then Moss this weekend, wherever that post was. Didn't realize there was so many new posts

I've loved the thought of getting Moss some screens all year long. I've been saying that since the middle of the season, so I definitely agree with you there. O'Brien's playcalling was abysmal and very predictable.

I don't want to get rid of Moss necessarily, but I don't think he is worth 11 million dollars next year. I guess if there's no cap though you might as well keep him. I love watching him play and love having him on the team.

The problem I have with him is that he is not physical and doesn't operate over the middle enough. Marshall, Fitzgerald, Jennings, Andre, etc. can all move the chains by working the middle of the field. When you watch the Pats play and it's like 3rd and 8, do you even think Moss is going to get the ball? Everytime we are in a situation like that, I feel like either Welker or Faulk is getting the ball.

Even today without Welker, I never got the feeling Randy was going to get the ball on a key 3rd and 5 or something like that.

The best way I can emphasize what I'm saying is by using RB's as a comparison. Randy Moss is a finesse player who uses his speed to be productive. He is a home run threat who can pick up 70 yards on 1 pass. That's the equivalent of a change of pace back who is a home run threat in the NFL, like a Felix Jones on Dallas. Both of these guys won't consistently move the chains for you, but they have that big play/quick strike ability where they can change the game in one play. A guy like Marshall or Fitzgerald is a more physical WR who are less likely to make the quick strike play like a Moss, but are more consistent in moving the chains and working the middle of the field. They're like a Rashard Mendenhall or Thomas Jones or Brandon Jacobs when healthy, who come in and pound it between the tackles and consistently pick up 4 to 5 yards per carry to pick up first downs and sustain drives.

Does that sort of make sense?

I know we have Welker who is our big move the chains guy, but it would definitely help to have your #1 WR be willing to go over the middle and work the intermediate passing game. Everytime we got into a 3rd and 5 situation this year, you knew we were looking for Welker. The thought of Moss coming across the middle and picking up a 3rd and 5 rarely crossed my mind, it's just not his game.

It wasn't as much of an issue when we had Gaffney and/or Stallworth who could work the middle of the field and keep the defenses guessing, but this year you knew Brady was looking for Welker on every single 3rd down.

I've loved the thought of getting Moss some screens all year long. I've been saying that since the middle of the season, so I definitely agree with you there. O'Brien's playcalling was abysmal and very predictable.

I don't want to get rid of Moss necessarily, but I don't think he is worth 11 million dollars next year. I guess if there's no cap though you might as well keep him. I love watching him play and love having him on the team.

The problem I have with him is that he is not physical and doesn't operate over the middle enough. Marshall, Fitzgerald, Jennings, Andre, etc. can all move the chains by working the middle of the field. When you watch the Pats play and it's like 3rd and 8, do you even think Moss is going to get the ball? Everytime we are in a situation like that, I feel like either Welker or Faulk is getting the ball.

Even today without Welker, I never got the feeling Randy was going to get the ball on a key 3rd and 5 or something like that.

The best way I can emphasize what I'm saying is by using RB's as a comparison. Randy Moss is a finesse player who uses his speed to be productive. He is a home run threat who can pick up 70 yards on 1 pass. That's the equivalent of a change of pace back who is a home run threat in the NFL, like a Felix Jones on Dallas. Both of these guys won't consistently move the chains for you, but they have that big play/quick strike ability where they can change the game in one play. A guy like Marshall or Fitzgerald is a more physical WR who are less likely to make the quick strike play like a Moss, but are more consistent in moving the chains and working the middle of the field. They're like a Rashard Mendenhall or Thomas Jones or Brandon Jacobs when healthy, who come in and pound it between the tackles and consistently pick up 4 to 5 yards per carry to pick up first downs and sustain drives.

Does that sort of make sense?

I know we have Welker who is our big move the chains guy, but it would definitely help to have your #1 WR be willing to go over the middle and work the intermediate passing game. Everytime we got into a 3rd and 5 situation this year, you knew we were looking for Welker. The thought of Moss coming across the middle and picking up a 3rd and 5 rarely crossed my mind, it's just not his game.

It wasn't as much of an issue when we had Gaffney and/or Stallworth who could work the middle of the field and keep the defenses guessing, but this year you knew Brady was looking for Welker on every single 3rd down.

I understand what you are saying, but I think when the game is on the line, you go to Randy Moss. Case in point - the Superbowl, the Jets game, and the Falcons game earlier in the season. He had a catch on fourth down to ice the game. He hasn't been used as much during this season on third down and even when he was, it hasn't always worked (2nd Miami game, I think it was?)

I know Moss is being asked to go deep often, and running routes that take a long time to develope. This can be frustrating for us, when we see Moss being blanked for an entire half. Reminds me of the Superbowl, Moss didn't really starting catches until they started running slants and other shorter passes during the 2nd to last drive. He had three third down conversions on that drive alone, including the go ahead TD. Today he had five receptions for 40+ yards in only one half after the offense made some adjustments. Once again, I blame that on lack of variety in routes. Although today, I do place some blame on Moss. He really did look to be nursing some injuries.

I understand what you are saying, but I think when the game is on the line, you go to Randy Moss. Case in point - the Superbowl, the Jets game, and the Falcons game earlier in the season. He had a catch on fourth down to ice the game. He hasn't been used as much during this season on third down and even when he was, it hasn't always worked (2nd Miami game, I think it was?)

I know Moss is being asked to go deep often, and running routes that take a long time to develope. This can be frustrating for us, when we see Moss being blanked for an entire half. Reminds me of the Superbowl, Moss didn't really starting catches until they started running slants and other shorter passes during the 2nd to last drive. He had three third down conversions on that drive alone, including the go ahead TD. Today he had five receptions for 40+ yards in only one half after the offense made some adjustments. Once again, I blame that on lack of variety in routes. Although today, I do place some blame on Moss. He really did look to be nursing some injuries.

That game against the Jets he was a non-factor for the whole game. That's my point, he didn't find a way to fight through the coverage and get open. That last TD catch was a lucky desperation throw with no time remaining. It was an outstanding catch, but Moss did next to nothing the entire game. On that drive in the Super Bowl, Moss had the TD catch and some key catches, but Welker and Faulk did as well. Moss did relatively nothing in the 07-08 playoffs. Non-factor vs the Jags and Chargers. And he didn't do anything until that final drive vs the Giants. The fact that your best WR can be taken out of the game that easily speaks volumes about the type of WR he is.

That game against the Jets he was a non-factor for the whole game. That's my point, he didn't find a way to fight through the coverage and get open. That last TD catch was a lucky desperation throw with no time remaining. It was an outstanding catch, but Moss did next to nothing the entire game. On that drive in the Super Bowl, Moss had the TD catch and some key catches, but Welker and Faulk did as well. Moss did relatively nothing in the 07-08 playoffs. Non-factor vs the Jags and Chargers. And he didn't do anything until that final drive vs the Giants. The fact that your best WR can be taken out of the game that easily speaks volumes about the type of WR he is.

Taken out of the game? Sure, he didn't do that much. But the coverages were rolled his way. Champ Bailey says Moss is a beast, Roddy White says he is what every WR wants to be, and Plaxico said that he is the best in the game. He got shutdown in games (the Jets, Giants) but he came up in the clutch, when his team really needed him. We are cherry picking by saying he has down games. Every WR has them. I will bet you that Vincent Jackson does next to nothing next week. Whoever Terrence Newman covers will probably be shutdown. Good defensive teams can neutralize a single target, but if the Patriots pick up another good player it should help Moss a lot.

Did you watch the Packers vs Cardinals game? Both teams are full of targets. The Packers have Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Grant, and even Rogers can be a weapon.

Is Moss worth $11,257,280? .....NO, for that kind of money they could get a top notch pass rusher. Id rather have that than a reciever. I think a big time pass rusher would have more of an impact.

Last edited:
Taken out of the game? Sure, he didn't do that much. But the coverages were rolled his way. Champ Bailey says Moss is a beast, Roddy White says he is what every WR wants to be, and Plaxico said that he is the best in the game. He got shutdown in games (the Jets, Giants) but he came up in the clutch, when his team really needed him. We are cherry picking by saying he has down games. Every WR has them. I will bet you that Vincent Jackson does next to nothing next week. Whoever Terrence Newman covers will probably be shutdown. Good defensive teams can neutralize a single target, but if the Patriots pick up another good player it should help Moss a lot.

Did you watch the Packers vs Cardinals game? Both teams are full of targets. The Packers have Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Grant, and even Rogers can be a weapon.

I didn't watch the Packers game, I was too pissed off after this loss.

IMO Moss isn't the best in the game anymore. I don't know why I mentioned V-Jax in my original post, b/c he's not really on the same level as the other guys we are talking about.

Yes, teams rolled coverages his way, but isn't that what teams did to Fitzgerald last year?

It's 4th and 7 and you need to complete the pass to keep the game going, are you taking Andre/Fitzgerald/Marshall or Moss? I'm taking one of the first group. I trust them more in that type of situation. Moss isn't the type of guy that makes the big catch over the middle right there.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but I prefer the Marshall/Fitzgerald type of WR over the Moss type of WR. I like taking the short-intermediate throws and picking up chunks of yardage on each down. I'm not as big fan of the deep ball. I like a controlled passing game with guys who I can count on to work the middle of the field and get open.

Yes he is. The real question should be, "are we capable of bringing in a WR3 that can beat single coverage?"

To me the real questions is can we get an OC who can re-define this totally one-dminsional offense into a team with variety that makes use of Moss in mutliple ways - let him run slants, fades, quick outs etc

All he ever does is go deep and that needs 10-15 seconds to develop - if I were told to do that time and time again and then watch how other teams use their star wideouts (Wayne, Fitzgerald, Jennings etc) I would be be hacked off as well

He's much much more than this crappy offense co-ordinating lets him do

Last edited:
After reading all these posts, all I have to say is, wow... Moss not physical? No hands? not good anymore? Who had the most TD receptions this season in the NFL? You people are probably the same who booed after the first play of the freaking game, it's sad.

I can't believe the Moss bashing. You take him off the 07 Pats and replace him with Owens, Andre Johnson, Chad Johnson, Marshall,Wayne or Colston that season and Brady has around 30-35 TD if everybody else is the same that year and the Pats are 12-4 or 13-3. He is that much of a difference maker.

Now image Moss on the 2004 Colts in place of Harrison or Wayne and Manning as a even better year.

As Moss not getting more balls his way. Brady needs to take more chances and try to get Moss the ball.

Moss is a one trick pony. He runs straight, and if scheme confuses the D, he may get one on one. He can't cut or break tackles. He doesn't outleap the defender. Without his patented pushoff move, has trouble in short routes. A guy that disappears for half the games should not be the second highest paid player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back