PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Moss worth $11,257,280?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The negativity on Moss is stupid

Can you honestly tell me Moss wasn't going full out on those plays? He got behind the defenders on that third down play and if it wasn't underthrown it was probably a TD.

He was probably going full out... but the bottom line is that neither of them resulted in a catch.

I think ... in spite of me saying he is breaking down ... that Moss can be valuable next year. Not as our deep threat and not as a number #1. I'm picturing Moss re-invented as a 10-15 yard wide option ... to spread the field. he still has great hands and a great mind. I liked the way Brady used him later in the game ... don't understand why he isn't used more like that.

As a few have said here what good is he with bad protection for Brady. But a different play scheme that stretches the field sideways as opposed to longways is the way to go.

I'd rather see three "B" receivers than an "A+" and two "C-".

Not a knock on Moss, just how I view the salary cap nowadays.

So, how do you plan on acquiring these three B receivers?

Considering the Patriots are way under the cap, the last thing they should be doing is clearing 6 million of cap space by cutting Randy Moss.

I think ... in spite of me saying he is breaking down ... that Moss can be valuable next year. Not as our deep threat and not as a number #1. I'm picturing Moss re-invented as a 10-15 yard wide option ... to spread the field. he still has great hands and a great mind. I liked the way Brady used him later in the game ... don't understand why he isn't used more like that.

As a few have said here what good is he with bad protection for Brady. But a different play scheme that stretches the field sideways as opposed to longways is the way to go.

What the hell are you guys talking about? 80+ receptions, 1200+ yards, and 13 TDs. Numbers as good or better then Reggie Wayne. Better then what Larry Fitzgerald put up this year. This includes the multiple times he was overthrown wide open early in the season and incompetent play calling. This also includes two trips to Revis island!

Stats are wonderful, but they don't win Superbowls.

You know what wins Superbowls? Making 7 yard catches on third downs in January.

Re: The negativity on Moss is stupid

He was probably going full out... but the bottom line is that neither of them resulted in a catch.

On third down Brady underthrew him for what would have been the go ahead TD (assuming Moss caught it)

He's too slow, he can't cut, that was the problem today with trying to involve him. The plays were too slow to develop. Brady needs to get the ball out quick to players who can quickly maneuver into space. And he doesn't take hits well and wouldn't last long if that was his primary role. And absent someone else to stretch the field he'd be getting whacked. Defenders know he doesn't like it and they would make it a point to smack him around.

Crazy, Moss had more first down catches then Welker this year...

You know what wins Superbowls? Good fundemental football and good defense. Neither of which the Patriots had.

With another legit speed receiver, Moss again becomes near unstoppable. Without that, he's good. One problem is that Moss is one dimensional. He's a superb downfield reciever. On of the best ever and a hall-of-famer. But he is not a possession receiver and he is not good going over the middle.

Also it's time to give him some rest. At his age, he probably can't play as much as he does.

not worth the money. all smart teams do now is blitz us to death and it takes away moss' strength, the deep ball. i thought we transformed him into a guy who could run routes and go over the middle after seeing what he did in 07, but we havent.

hes not getting any younger so hes going to start losing the ability to get behind the whole defense if he hasnt started to already. look i love moss and have been a huge fan of his but when i break down his game after 3 seasons here, there are too many issues. felger is actually right.

moss isnt a physical enough wr. hes got a slight build to him for a 6'4 guy and is finesse. revis jams him on every play and moss gets taken out of the game. he doesnt try to fight off the jam at the line. he doesnt like to go over the middle and get hit. he doesnt fight through double coverage. he takes plays off. he rounds off routes. hes almost the anti welker. he doesnt fight for every yard and doesnt go all out on every play. he wastes his talent.

you look at other #1 wr like fitz, jennings, marshall, andre, vjax, wayne, calvin, etc. these guys can go deep on occasion but more importantly fight through coverage and go over the middle of the field. wayne isnt that physical but hes a great route runner. i'll take a guy like fitz or marshall who lack elite deep speed but are great in the short to intermediate passing game, will go over the middle, and fight for every yard. the most complete wr's in the game today are calvin and andre b.c they have great deep speed and the physicality over the middle.

not worth the money. all smart teams do now is blitz us to death and it takes away moss' strength, the deep ball. i thought we transformed him into a guy who could run routes and go over the middle after seeing what he did in 07, but we havent.

hes not getting any younger so hes going to start losing the ability to get behind the whole defense if he hasnt started to already. look i love moss and have been a huge fan of his but when i break down his game after 3 seasons here, there are too many issues. felger is actually right.

moss isnt a physical enough wr. hes got a slight build to him for a 6'4 guy and is finesse. revis jams him on every play and moss gets taken out of the game. he doesnt try to fight off the jam at the line. he doesnt like to go over the middle and get hit. he doesnt fight through double coverage. he takes plays off. he rounds off routes. hes almost the anti welker. he doesnt fight for every yard and doesnt go all out on every play. he wastes his talent.

you look at other #1 wr like fitz, jennings, marshall, andre, vjax, wayne, calvin, etc. these guys can go deep on occasion but more importantly fight through coverage and go over the middle of the field. wayne isnt that physical but hes a great route runner. i'll take a guy like fitz or marshall who lack elite deep speed but are great in the short to intermediate passing game, will go over the middle, and fight for every yard. the most complete wr's in the game today are calvin and andre b.c they have great deep speed and the physicality over the middle.

^ You only think that those guys are most complete because you dont watch them. Calvin Johnson is in no way a complete WR. He drops a lot of passes and has trouble getting away from press coverage, just like Moss does.

Andre Johnson is probably the most complete WR in the game right? Then why doesn't he put up a lot of TDs? He is constantly getting catches and a lot of yards but he is shut down in the redzone. Fitz / Sid are both like slow versions of Randy Moss. Marshall? He has had less then 50 yards in 10 games this season!! Wayne? He has Peyton Manning. Every Wr gets shutdown at times. Moss was injured... You guys expect too much.

^ You only think that those guys are most complete because you dont watch them. Calvin Johnson is in no way a complete WR. He drops a lot of passes and has trouble getting away from press coverage, just like Moss does.

Andre Johnson is probably the most complete WR in the game right? Then why doesn't he put up a lot of TDs? He is constantly getting catches and a lot of yards but he is shut down in the redzone. Fitz / Sid are both like slow versions of Randy Moss. Marshall? He has had less then 50 yards in 10 games this season!! Wayne? He has Peyton Manning. Every Wr gets shutdown at times. Moss was injured... You guys expect too much.

You're a Vikings fan who never got over him. You don't know what to expect. We have different expectations here because we won 3 superbowls in this decade.

You're a Vikings fan who never got over him. You don't know what to expect. We have different expectations here because we won 3 superbowls in this decade.

You're a bitter Patriots fan... You have never had a WR even remotely close to Moss and you want him off the team? Welcome to mediocrity buddy!

Cool.

But we're not playing in January this year without Randy Moss helping get us there.

People around here seem to lose their minds after a tough loss.

Randy Moss on this team is like cancer in remission. Sure he has been pretty much been a model citizen and put up great numbers, but a part of me thinks he is passively messing up this team in an extremely subtle and unable to discern way. It seems like Brady has gone from:

-Who is open

to

-Is Moss open?
-Is Welker open?
-Who is open

Maybe. Us fans will never know.. but he sure didn't throw to Moss as much.

welker doesnt get td's for us so is that b.c he sucks in th red zone? td's arent a big stat for a wr b.c teams like to run it in the red zone to minimize the risk. marshall had orton as his qb vs moss having brady!!!! fitz has great body control and hands and hes very physical and goes over the middle. andre is the most complete. calvin has a rookie trying to get him the ball. when ive seen him play he gets off the jam pretty well.

i like moss and yes he was banged up but i hate that he doesnt go over the middle and gets taken out of games so easily. even in the 07 playoffs he was a non factor for the first two games. with his talent he shouldn't be shutdown like that, he should be finding ways to get open.

Without Moss, you really are going to depend on these wide receivers next year:

Aiken
Edelman
Stanback
Tate

Tell me it isn't so?

with all due respect to these guys who all have big upsides to develop over the next 2-3 years, this would be the worst depth chart of wide outs I can remember.

Moss still went double digit touchdowns - obviously he is worth it.

Absolutely, you keep him. Especially if next year is uncapped.

What we need is more GOOD receivers. A Davone Bess type of guy. Or maybe a Jabar Gaffney sort (ahem)? Welker and Edelman are good, and I think Edelman can contribute something more than a Welker back-up by next year.

Moss does exactly what he was brought here to do. Sadly, he was the only receiver who was a real threat on the field today. The greatest of greats needed something across from them. Moss does too.

welker doesnt get td's for us so is that b.c he sucks in th red zone? td's arent a big stat for a wr b.c teams like to run it in the red zone to minimize the risk. marshall had orton as his qb vs moss having brady!!!! fitz has great body control and hands and hes very physical and goes over the middle. andre is the most complete. calvin has a rookie trying to get him the ball. when ive seen him play he gets off the jam pretty well.

i like moss and yes he was banged up but i hate that he doesnt go over the middle and gets taken out of games so easily. even in the 07 playoffs he was a non factor for the first two games. with his talent he shouldn't be shutdown like that, he should be finding ways to get open.

C'mon man, how much has Brady really helped Moss this year? And Orton throws a very good short pass, and that is what Marshall was asked to run. TDs are the biggest stat for WRs!! Otherwise Fitzgerald wouldn't be a top 10 WR.

Larry Fitzgerald and Reggie Wayne were both shut down at similar rate to Randy Moss this season. Calvin Johnson, Marshall, and Vincent Jackson all were all shutdown more often then Moss. Wes Welker was by far the most consistant WR in the league.

And yes, Welker sucks in the redzone. It's because there isn't enough space for him to work with and he isn't going to outjump a defender.

C'mon man, how much has Brady really helped Moss this year? And Orton throws a very good short pass, and that is what Marshall was asked to run. TDs are the biggest stat for WRs!! Otherwise Fitzgerald wouldn't be a top 10 WR.

Larry Fitzgerald and Reggie Wayne were both shut down at similar rate to Randy Moss this season. Calvin Johnson, Marshall, and Vincent Jackson all were all shutdown more often then Moss. Wes Welker was by far the most consistant WR in the league.

And yes, Welker sucks in the redzone. It's because there isn't enough space for him to work with and he isn't going to outjump a defender.

if you give marshall a qb of bradys calibe watch out. orton is not even remotely close to that level. td's arent the most important stat for a wr. how many times do you see a guy go 70 yards and get tackled at the 10 only to have the rb's run it in?

moss gets taken out of games more easily against good teams than these guys do. bailey and revis both completely shut him down. moss builds up his stats vs **** teams. miami and indy both had rookie cb's on him, tennessee didnt come to play, and teams like atlanta and buffalo just suck at cb and at getting pressure. the 3td vs jax were to keep him from pouting and build his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes