PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Miami that tough or did NE and SD take them for granted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Is the Parcells/Sporano combo working quickly to regain the swagger or the Dolphins of the 80s and early 90s or did NE and SD in consecutive weeks disrespect the team and were looking ahead?

I don't know what Miami team will be out there any given week but I do know Ronnie Brown is a beast and Chad Pennington should NEVER have been ousted as a #2 QB in NY - Clemens over pennington at #2 was a dumb decision for Mangini.

I think its a combination of a well coached team and FO teaching thier guys to play better than the talent is on paper and Parcells is doing his magic once again.

NE and SD just as well could have been using Miami as a stepping stone and counting the game against Miami as a likely win - Can't do that in the NFL anymore - You don't play hard for 60 minutes against ANY team and you will lose.

That makes this weeks matchup that much better and this game could go far as in looking ahead to the playoffs with this weeks winner having a jump up in tiebreakers regarding seeding even though its only week 6 both these teams need this game big time.

Last edited:
I guess time will tell but Miami's had 2 very good weeks,beating 2 very good teams. They made improvements over the offseason and for whatever reason Chad Pennington's having a fantastic year. Next week's Miami game should be telling,and definitely our own game with the Chargers.

Seriously, what do you think is more likely?

Scenario 1:
a) New England, who takes NOBODY for granted, gets beat by Miami.
b) San Diego, who saw Miami destroy New England, IMMEDIATELY take Miami for granted.

Scenario 2:
a) Miami is a solid football team.

I mean really, does anyone honestly think it is scenario 1?

Is the Parcells/Sporano combo working quickly to regain the swagger or the Dolphins of the 80s and early 90s or did NE and SD in consecutive weeks disrespect the team and were looking ahead?

I don't know what Miami team will be out there any given week but I do know Ronnie Brown is a beast and Chad Pennington should NEVER have been ousted as a #2 QB in NY - Clemens over pennington at #2 was a dumb decision for Mangini.

I think its a combination of a well coached team and FO teaching thier guys to play better than the talent is on paper and Parcells is doing his magic once again.

NE and SD just as well could have been using Miami as a stepping stone and counting the game against Miami as a likely win - Can't do that in the NFL anymore - You don't play hard for 60 minutes against ANY team and you will lose.

That makes this weeks matchup that much better and this game could go far as in looking ahead to the playoffs with this weeks winner having a jump up in tiebreakers regarding seeding even though its only week 6 both these teams need this game big time.

I think Chad makes them a better team, however I don't think they are contenders.

San Diego seems to be fraud, lots of hype preseason and no production - However this start is similar to 2007.

I think we fell into a classic trap game. That being said, our defense had never looked worse than in that game and the only way we can hope to be competitive with a "rookie" QB is to stretch the field with Randy, and Josh and Bill had no intentions of trying that, which baffles me.

It's fun and painful to think what Tom's presence in the NFL at this time would be - I think we, along with the Giants, would be monsters in our respective conferences.

I can't believe I'm saying this but you have say Miami is playing good football right now. I can't name one guy on their defense (I really can but you know what I mean) and their O-Line is doing a great job in pass protection and running the football. They beat the defending AFC champs in Gillette and the AFC runner up in Miami. The way the NFL is so up and down right now, the only team that is for real is the super bowl champion Giants. They have a very good chance of repeating.

Scenario 1:
b) San Diego, who saw Miami destroy New England, IMMEDIATELY take Miami for granted.

Scenario 2:

The NFL kinds of reminds me of a racehorse - The horse may have won several races in a row and is the favorite in his next race but one morning he wakes up and just does not have desire because he beat the same type class of field before and loses the race.

I think sometimes NFL teams just slack in some games and against the worst team in the league last season you can expect some teams to perform almost in a lazy fashion as NE and SD have done against the fish.

Look at the two teams that beat Miami the first 2 weeks - Neither is a solid team and probably took them as a little bit tougher of a threat then NE and SD did thus they played with more vigor and won against the dolphins.

Any team who takes the Dolphins lightly as an opponent and assumes they will beat them will find another loss in the column - Miami looks like a 7-9 team right now and thats just about what a Parcells team does in its first year with him as a part of the team and that is improve and fast.

Detroit and Oakland have done NOTHING to improve thier team,Miami has jumped leaps and bounds in less than a year and I respect that in a team that I truly hate more than all others in this league.

Last edited:
I think Miami's playing good ball, I don't see them lasting at it consistently enough to get into contention but ya nevah know.If they play well again this week it could get interesting,especially with Buffalo. I think they'll both run out of gas at some point but that's not to say they won't be pains in our * while they're playing well.

I think Miami's playing good ball, I don't see them lasting at it consistently enough to get into contention but ya nevah know.If they play well again this week it could get interesting,especially with Buffalo. I think they'll both run out of gas at some point but that's not to say they won't be pains in our * while they're playing well.

If Trent Edwards does not go into that Chris Chandler type of recurring concussions,then he could certainly take Buffalo to the brink of winning the East for the first time in a while - Depnding on the outcome of the clashes with NE of course - Losman will never take that team anywhere.

They are just a good team. Any team that loses their top 2 players (thomas and taylor) and gets better is no joke. they are taking a unconventional approach and just finding ways to win.

lol, Miami played us when we played maybe our worst game in 5 years, including defense and offense

and they have that wildcat formation which they seem to execute to perfection...its like their holy grail play

it torched us, it torched SD....and sooner or later a good defense will be found to counter it...

if Miami doesnt have another surprise like the wildcat play....their winning days this season wont be too mcny

but i doubt anyone is sayint they didnt improve from last yr

They are just plain "scrappy" this year (sorta like their head coach)!

Last edited:
They are just plain "scrappy" this year (sorta like their head coach)!

You may have come up with a good slogan for the fish this year..

'From Crappy to Scrappy in 10 Months' :D

I think Chad makes them a better team, however I don't think they are contenders.

San Diego seems to be fraud, lots of hype preseason and no production - However this start is similar to 2007.

I think we fell into a classic trap game. That being said, our defense had never looked worse than in that game and the only way we can hope to be competitive with a "rookie" QB is to stretch the field with Randy, and Josh and Bill had no intentions of trying that, which baffles me.

It's fun and painful to think what Tom's presence in the NFL at this time would be - I think we, along with the Giants, would be monsters in our respective conferences.
no production? they've been in every single game, that's better than some other teams

no production? they've been in every single game, that's better than some other teams

I agree with that. But they are not just 'another' team. They should be, based on the talent on that team, a top tier team that was chosen by many in the Media as a SuperBowl favorite.

To that end, I have seen no production. You can make the same argument about the Patriots, however that's a product of loosing Tommy. How would you argue the Chargers side?

I think that the Chargers are missing Michael Turner more than they are missing Merriman and those two have a big effect on the teams play. LT's production is nuts for a guy like him, perhaps all that talk about retiring from the game was not far off the mark.

I guess time will tell but Miami's had 2 very good weeks,beating 2 very good teams. They made improvements over the offseason and for whatever reason Chad Pennington's having a fantastic year. Next week's Miami game should be telling,and definitely our own game with the Chargers.

Pennington is healthy and thats key for Miami because he is very accurate and rarely makes mistakes. But it is miami's D that is most impressive. I would not overlook this team if i were you all.

I think Miami is a very tough team, though a hard one to gauge. On paper, they suck, but it looks like they may have found some pieces. Greg Camarillo and Anthony Fasano have had a string of very good games together. It could be that the Find have something here. The offense is limited but they are playing within themselves and taking advantage of some talent mismatches that they have in Brown and Ginn. The defense lost its superstar players but has talented guys across the board who work well together.

I see them as an 8-8 team right now.

I can't believe I'm saying this but you have say Miami is playing good football right now. I can't name one guy on their defense (I really can but you know what I mean) and their O-Line is doing a great job in pass protection and running the football. They beat the defending AFC champs in Gillette and the AFC runner up in Miami. The way the NFL is so up and down right now, the only team that is for real is the super bowl champion Giants. They have a very good chance of repeating.

way too early IMO to draw that conclusion. we're just a little over a quarter way through a long season...the giants are off to a good start, but have tough division games ahead...the dolphins have had a couple of good games...nothing more, nothing less...let's see where things are in a month...

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

It's entirely possible that people could decide that New England was just bad versus the idea that Miami is good. That's what most people got out of it, but to think that a professional athlete would take an opponent lightly is ridiculous.

I agree with that. But they are not just 'another' team. They should be, based on the talent on that team, a top tier team that was chosen by many in the Media as a SuperBowl favorite.

To that end, I have seen no production. You can make the same argument about the Patriots, however that's a product of loosing Tommy. How would you argue the Chargers side?

I think that the Chargers are missing Michael Turner more than they are missing Merriman and those two have a big effect on the teams play. LT's production is nuts for a guy like him, perhaps all that talk about retiring from the game was not far off the mark.
LT's production is basically the same as it was last year at this time

i just think you forgot how bad sd sucked last sept/oct

and they have that wildcat formation which they seem to execute to perfection...its like their holy grail play

it torched us, it torched SD....and sooner or later a good defense will be found to counter it...

Well as soon as they line up in that, make Harrison line up 2 yards off Pennington and have him drill his butt into the ground as hard as he can. You won't see that formation much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes