Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Meriweather Redy To Start This Week at Free Safety?

• Not really, but I would start him anyway.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Yes, and I would start him.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Yes, but I would start Gay.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • No, and I would start Gay.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No, and I would start Mitchell.

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If Wilson cannot start, is Meriweather ready to start this week at free safety?

I think that this is a straight forward issue.

where's the poll?

Gay's a corner and you'll need him to relieve Samuel when Asante wears down later in the game.

Go with the true safety.

I went with, "not really, but I'd start him anyway", because that would mean Geno's out, no Harrison and I want Gay playing corner behind Samuel and Hobbs. Considering the circumstances, now is as good a time to learn as any, and better than later on in the season.

Last edited:
I can't start Gay, he's starting opposite Hobbs at corner.

I voted for "not really, but I would start him." I think he's good enough to make it work, but that it might be a bit of trial-by-fire. That said, I think part of why I voted that way is because I have a juvenile urge to see him play. I think it would be cool. Which of course, is a completely stupid, idiotic, asinine reason.

I think what's most likely to happen, SHOULD happen - Geno's okay and he'll start. As much as he's struggled without Rodney with him back there, it's a little tough to go with Sanders AND a rookie to start the year - tough mentally on ALL of the defense, especially in the opening game.

I voted yes, he's ready to defend against the Jets. Pennington doesn't have the arm to consistently threaten with the long ball. Give the kid a chance in a real game and see how he keeps up the their receivers.

Realistically Meriweather won't start at safety. Unless the other safety is so dinged he can't play. I could see Meriweather starting at nickel though. For safety I don't think he's ready yet. But I'd play him just for the hell of it, because he could be that good. ;-)

He's not ready to be an NFL caliber starter yet, but I think he can have sucess against the Jets. Because of his speed he should be able to defend Chad's deep passes that usually have plenty of arc and float for that extra second. He would have some trouble covering medium routes in a busy field based on his lack of experience. I also wouldn't expect the Pats to use many or any corner blitzes that would require BM to rotate to a CB position. I don't think he can cover Cotch or Coles 1>1 yet. He will be able to make some tackles against Jones should he bust through the LOS. I think he has good pursuit skills and seems to tackle well enough.

BB will probably start Wilson and sometimes spell him with Merriweather on 3rd and long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey