PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is McDaniels The BB reincarnate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
The way BB left Parcells...somewhat failed. Went back with Parcells..saw some success. Then gained success on his own? Maybe future head coach of pats? But with another personal man.

Lots of coaches have failed in the first (or second, or third) HCing attempts, and gone back to coordinating. I don't know how many have gone back to work for the same HC as before though.

Let's try to keep in mind how unique of a person Belichick is.

There aren't many people who can handle all of the different aspects of running an organization the way he does. Even the jobs that are delegated to others, he understands completely and could handle them himself if he wanted to. I doubt there are many people, even in other lines of work, who can really say that.

McDaniels is a great offensive mind, but IMO that's all he's shown so far, and he doesn't come close to having the wealth of experiences Belichick did, even at McDaniels' age.

Could he one day run a successful NFL team? Maybe. But he has a long way to go, and I wouldn't insult Belichick's legacy by comparing the two of them, by any stretch of the imagination, just because they had a period of 'failure' after some success. Don't forget that Belichick's 'failure' had a lot to do with factors outside of his control.

For example:

Belichick released a hometown hero QB as his skills were declining, turning an entire city against him, even though it was likely the correct decision.

McDaniels traded away a young franchise-quality QB and a workhorse RB and replaced them with Alphonso Smith and Laurence Maroney, then traded away more picks for the right to choose a TE conversion project in the first round.

There can be only One.

Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For example:

Belichick released a hometown hero QB as his skills were declining, turning an entire city against him, even though it was likely the correct decision.

McDaniels traded away a young franchise-quality QB and a workhorse RB and replaced them with Alphonso Smith and Laurence Maroney, then traded away more picks for the right to choose a TE conversion project in the first round.

No one seems to want to give McD credit for being right about Cutler.
He didn't replace anyone with Maroney. He added Maroney because his backfield was decimated with injuries.

Let's try to keep in mind how unique of a person Belichick is.

There aren't many people who can handle all of the different aspects of running an organization the way he does. Even the jobs that are delegated to others, he understands completely and could handle them himself if he wanted to. I doubt there are many people, even in other lines of work, who can really say that.

McDaniels is a great offensive mind, but IMO that's all he's shown so far, and he doesn't come close to having the wealth of experiences Belichick did, even at McDaniels' age.

Could he one day run a successful NFL team? Maybe. But he has a long way to go, and I wouldn't insult Belichick's legacy by comparing the two of them, by any stretch of the imagination, just because they had a period of 'failure' after some success. Don't forget that Belichick's 'failure' had a lot to do with factors outside of his control.

All they really have in common is that McDaniel has had, and may have again, the opportuity to learn at the foot of the master.
The more he can absorb, the closer he can get to being like the GOAT

I think McDaniels is a very good OC. I don't know if he is another Belichick though.

Some guys are great coordinators and lousy head coaches. I am not ready to say McDaniels will rebound like Belichick did.

Belichick won Superbowl rings as a coordinator with the Giants.
Belichick took Cleveland to the playoffs before his owner left him hanging as a lame duck while moving to Baltimore.

Not completely similar situations. The only thing similar is a coach left and may come back to his old coach.

No one seems to want to give McD credit for being right about Cutler.

Right about Cutler?

Cutler is a fantastic QB. It's not his fault the Bears gave him **** on a stick to work with.

And it doesn't matter why he added Maroney. Find me one person in the NFL (besides his brother Ben) who thinks Maroney was worth a 4th round pick.

Right about Cutler?

Cutler is a fantastic QB. It's not his fault the Bears gave him **** on a stick to work with.

And it doesn't matter why he added Maroney. Find me one person in the NFL (besides his brother Ben) who thinks Maroney was worth a 4th round pick.

Cutler is not a fantastic QB. He is a dumber version of Drew Bledsoe or actually far worse version of Brett Favre since he is more mobile. He is Bledsoe Lite. Bledsoe was mostly an above average QB with one great year.

Cutler at his best is above average who could make some ridiculously stupid decisions. Even in his Broncos days, he never had a QB rating over 88.5.

Last edited:
Right about Cutler?

We will have to agree to disagree about Cutler, but even aside from the talent issue, Cutler's insubordination and attitude made it the right move.
He has done nothing at all to prove the Broncos made the wrong decision.

When your entire backfield is injured and you can get a guy who knows your system, a 4th is reasonable.

Cutler is not a fantastic QB. He is a dumber version of Drew Bledsoe or actually far worse version of Brett Favre since he is more mobile. He is Bledsoe Lite. Bledsoe was mostly an above average QB with one great year.

Cutler at his best is above average who could make some ridiculously stupid decisions. Even in his Broncos days, he never had a QB rating over 88.5.

Gonna have to agree to disagree.

He was playing behind a terrible O-line with mediocre receivers (outside of Forte) this season, and after a rough start, was making excellent plays and showing remarkable toughness. Anyone who watched the games he played in could see that.

All you have to do is look at what happened to the Bears season once Cutler and Forte went down. The guy can play, period.

He was playing behind a terrible O-line with mediocre receivers (outside of Forte) this season, and after a rough start, was making excellent plays and showing remarkable toughness. Anyone who watched the games he played in could see that.

All you have to do is look at what happened to the Bears season once Cutler and Forte went down. The guy can play, period.
I agree, they were doomed when Cutler went down. They could of survived losing Forte IMO, but not Cutler and the Biggest thing holding Cutler back is Mike Martz, he wants the home run ball every down, he should of been the HC for Al Davis 10 years ago.

But addressing the OP....

As Ocho would say.... CHILD PLEASE!

I think Cutler is the classic looks good, compiles numbers, but never makes the plays to win guy.
63/49 TD/Int ratio since going to Chicago (after 54/37 in Denver) certainly supports the opinion that Denver was smart to move on.

When your entire backfield is injured and you can get a guy who knows your system, a 4th is reasonable.

In a vacuum.... maybe.

But it goes on a list with:

- Trading away Peyton Hillis to get a QB who hasn't seen the field for the Broncos yet.
- Trading away a bonafide #1 WR for a 2nd.
- Drafting Tim Tebow in the 1st round.
- Trading up for Alphonso Smith

And let's not forget that McDaniels was instrumental in the Patriots' drafting both Chad Jackson and Laurence Maroney.

I think Cutler is the classic looks good, compiles numbers, but never makes the plays to win guy.
63/49 TD/Int ratio since going to Chicago (after 54/37 in Denver) certainly supports the opinion that Denver was smart to move on.
I think if supports the opinion that he was surronded by better talent in Denver like, he hasn't had anything close to Brandon Marshal in Chicago, also as previously mentioned, Chicago's OLINE can't protect him at all, part of that is the idiotic scheme Martz implemented.

As someone I respect greatly once said, stats are for losers.

I'd wager my life savings that there isn't a personnel man in the NFL who would take any QB on the Chiefs or Broncos roster over Jay Cutler right now.

I don't think anyone has even seen what Cutler could do behind a half-decent O-line yet, not to mention a half-decent core of pass catchers.

I mean, really, Devin Hester, Roy Williams, Johnny Knox, and Earl Bennett?

Really?

As someone I respect greatly once said, stats are for losers.

I'd wager my life savings that there isn't a personnel man in the NFL who would take any QB on the Chiefs or Broncos roster over Jay Cutler right now.

I don't think anyone has even seen what Cutler could do behind a half-decent O-line yet, not to mention a half-decent core of pass catchers.

I mean, really, Devin Hester, Roy Williams, Johnny Knox, and Earl Bennett?

Really?

"Stats are for losers" is a common refrain of those with bad stats.
Ironically, the guy you are talking about has never been a winner, and those stats illustrate an important reason why.
Look, if you think he is a good QB, great. I would agree if QB was limited to physical attributes. But this is a guy I would bet against to ever win anything substantial. He had a plethora of weapons in Denver and never won there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes