PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Maroney really a vital piece to the O??

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Okay, so I was reading Tomase's article at the Herald about Maroney being injured, but one thing struck me odd. He claims that Maroney is a VITAL part of this teams offense. I'm sorry, but I thought that statement was a bit of over blown.
I think Maroney is great just like the next guy, but a vital part? So, let me get this straight. A rookie running back gets injured and misses some time and we lose a vital part of our offense? Brady is a vital part of this offense. Is that the consensus opinion of New Englanders right about now? Im just asking because I am in California and dont know what kind of word is going around. Does anyone else think his statement was overblown? Maybe I am looking too far into this, but that really annoyed me. And, anything that gets my mind off of the DB situation is good;)

He certainly will be, but if its not serious good news. If its serious then that sucks but I dont think Dillon and Faulk are "bad players".

I have to agree that it's a bit overblown but only because we haven't seen him in the regular season yet. It's looking however like he is going to be a core player in our offense from what he has shown so far. With the seemingly dwindling amount of offensive weapons we have (ok, maybe only at WR), we could use all the help we can get.

But yes, Vital is a word that is best used judiciously or it loses its value. Brady, Seymour, Belichick - those are my vital parts of the team.

holyredeemer said:
Okay, so I was reading Tomase's article at the Herald about Maroney being injured, but one thing struck me odd. He claims that Maroney is a VITAL part of this teams offense. I'm sorry, but I thought that statement was a bit of over blown.
I think Maroney is great just like the next guy, but a vital part? So, let me get this straight. A rookie running back gets injured and misses some time and we lose a vital part of our offense? Brady is a vital part of this offense. Is that the consensus opinion of New Englanders right about now? Im just asking because I am in California and dont know what kind of word is going around. Does anyone else think his statement was overblown? Maybe I am looking too far into this, but that really annoyed me. And, anything that gets my mind off of the DB situation is good;)

I think the Ability for him to be a vital part of the offense is there.Though,Ill hold off on that thought for a few weeks.Its a bummer to hear he is a little dinged up right now.God Speed Maroney.

I think he is a stud who will be able to provide the big-play, home run threat out of the backfield that Dillon can't. I think with a healthy Maroney, this team could be unstoppable. If he's out for any length of time, I think it gets downgraded to good. I just think he's a special player and preseason or no preseason, we all have eyes and we can see what kind of player he's going to be and I don't mean next year, I mean right away.

I guess you haven't seen any of the pre-season games or haven't paid attention. Maroney is in fact very vital to the offense. He's the spark Dillon can't be anymore. Barring any injuries, Maroney will be the No. 1 back at some point this season, if he's not already. I'm not sure how much more vital it gets.

of course he is guys. Dillon appears to be the same as last year, slow and plodding, our recievers are suspect at best. If we have no outside recieving threats and ou biggest running threat is injured, then yes we certainly have a problem. This is the NFL, watson cant be our only threat.

I have to agree that Maroney is very vital to the offense. There is nobody that will keep DCs up at night anymore at WR, we have one good receiving TE in Ben, but he can't be our only weapon, our running game is not as good with Dillion alone, even if he recovers fully from the injury I don't think he will be his 2004 form. So yes, I do believe Maroney is vital to the offense.

R_T26 said:
of course he is guys. Dillon appears to be the same as last year, slow and plodding, our recievers are suspect at best. If we have no outside recieving threats and ou biggest running threat is injured, then yes we certainly have a problem. This is the NFL, watson cant be our only threat.

I don't know how you can judge someone by the preseason(Dillon), and If you are judging our recievers in the pre season than your statement is wrong because they have had a great preseason, look at our passing offense, Almost number one in the preseason

Brady is vital to the offence as he showed last year.

Dillon and Faulk, if fit, provide a potentially powerful backfield that can offer a much greater ground threat than last year.

Maroney offers something totally different - as I'm Ron Borges says - he's the "home run threat".

Without him we merely have a good backfield. With him, IMO, we can go all the way.

Without Brady we have 9-7 or (probably) worse and a whole world of hurt from the likes of Aqua4Ever.

SoonerPatriot said:
I guess you haven't seen any of the pre-season games or haven't paid attention. Maroney is in fact very vital to the offense. He's the spark Dillon can't be anymore. Barring any injuries, Maroney will be the No. 1 back at some point this season, if he's not already. I'm not sure how much more vital it gets.

Well, sad to say this, but you guessed wrong. Read my post again. I said that I like Maroney just as much as the next guy, but I think its bull**** to even remotely think that without Maroney our O is going to drop significantly. If thats the case, then shame on BB and staff for hinging the greatness of this O on Maroney. OBVIOUSLY you havent been paying much attention to the offense this off-season. TE's and Fullbacks on this team are going to get rid of the absolute negative effect with losing Deion. Chad Jackson will contribute, as well as the other receivers. My point is this. If we lose Maroney, the offense isnt going to begin to falter. If we lose Brady or Seymour, now THAT is a VITAL impact. How great Maroney does in his rookie season is just an added bonus. However, he is not VITAL to this offense. They would keep ticking without him.
Also, I guess the differing opinions on Dillon would also lead one argument one way or the other. I didnt see a bad Dillon on the field this preseason. I also believe that around week four, barring injury, he will have stepped his game up once again. Brady has proven that his RB doesnt really matter, look at A. Smith. Hate to say this, but this offense hinges on Bradys arm, the running game is just something that is nice to have if it can actually produce.

ironwasp said:
Brady is vital to the offence as he showed last year.

Dillon and Faulk, if fit, provide a potentially powerful backfield that can offer a much greater ground threat than last year.

Maroney offers something totally different - as I'm Ron Borges says - he's the "home run threat".

Without him we merely have a good backfield. With him, IMO, we can go all the way.

Without Brady we have 9-7 or (probably) worse and a whole world of hurt from the likes of Aqua4Ever.

So, you are trying to say that if Maroney is possibly lost for the season that our superbowl hopes go down the drain?? Give me a ******* break!

I'm Ron Borges? said:
I think he is a stud who will be able to provide the big-play, home run threat out of the backfield that Dillon can't. I think with a healthy Maroney, this team could be unstoppable. If he's out for any length of time, I think it gets downgraded to good. I just think he's a special player and preseason or no preseason, we all have eyes and we can see what kind of player he's going to be and I don't mean next year, I mean right away.
I think unstoppable is a bit overblown. It really depends on how you define vital. If you mean that without him the team will sink I think there Pats have only one vital player, which is brady. But if you define vital as a core player to be counted on, he's one of many they have.

I think it's a good sign that cobbs got traded. it means maroney's injuries aren't serious and just dinged up otherwise they would have kept cobbs as insurance.

holyredeemer said:
So, you are trying to say that if Maroney is possibly lost for the season that our superbowl hopes go down the drain?? Give me a ******* break!

No. That's not what I'm trying to say, although I accept perhaps it wasn't clear.

I'm saying that with him in the mix, I really really like our chances. With him and a Branch-quality receiver, I make us a top three contender. Without him, I think we drop into a much murkier mix - one of 4/5 AFC teams.

My point actually was with yours - only TB is VITAL to the offence, everybody else can be lived without to one degree or another.

No he isn't vital to the Offense now but he will be in the 2nd half of the season. When the other backs are banged up hopefully he will be fresh, stronger and ready to carry the Pat's into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes