Votes: 52 24.6%
  • I'll tell you after this year

Votes: 123 58.3%
  • No Way

Votes: 36 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I give Maroney one more season to prove his worth.

If he has "flashes of brilliance" that's another way of saying he is inconsistent. Bledsoe showed flashes of brilliance too. Do you miss having him on the team? Overall that's not what we want. We want consistent good play. Not play in flashes or fits and starts, or intermittently good play between injury time off.

If after this season he has not played half the games b/c of injury, or has not found a cure for his lack-of-vision-induced dancing disease, then my judgment is final. Right now my provisional judgment is that he should not be kept once his contract expires.

Well Jack, once again your expert knowledge has proved me wrong and you are 100% right. You win Cousin. Does that make you feel better now? You are the entitled personnel expert and main Patriots authority. I bow down to your superior knowledge and intellect. I am so sorry I ever questioned you. Forgive me kind sir.

Now let this be a lesson to anyone else that dare cross Jack!!! You too will finally realize his power of logical persuasion.

You will realize his wrongs are now right about CAP hits on Maroney and verifiable statements that Sanders is way above average as a safety. How dare we consider a S like Jones even though his superior FA ranking and stats must now be questioned to the league and set right,... for crying out loud cousins! Is there no justice in this world?....Can I get an Amen here? There must be a mistake!

Jack you are right again. My comments were laughable. I am laughing right now about how stupid I am. And those explanations as to why the Pats had the most TD passes allowed last year, mostly right over the middle are certainly that bum Mayo and O'Neils and Hobbs fault. What was I thinking!

I don't know about you cousins, but after that JB scolding, Jim Brown look out when it comes to brother Maroney. Does the NFL have a Heisman? I'll vote for him. I can see the trophy pose now.

You win Jack. That was easy. You just had to convince me a little better. Mission accomplished. Cousins, ole' DW Toys admits he is never right about anything. Have mercy on me. I am a sinner.
DW Toys

You can be sarcastic all you want, but it won't help you form a cogent argument.

You can be sarcastic all you want, but it won't help you form a cogent argument.

Maybe he was being sincere and he just really likes you.

Maroney is 75% bust.

This is the year he uses his last 25%.

I don't care about injuries, a constantly injured NFL player is a bust.

I consider Maroney a bust sorely for lack of production. NFL is a no execuse business. Injury is part of the game. A player's value is judged by his production on the field. Very few players are 100% healthy for the duration of a season. Great players often play through injuries. (same reason in many people's eyes, LT has lost a lot of shine for sitting out last two playoffs)

Pats' potent passing offense should lift the production of RBs. No surprise that a bunch lesser RBs have done well for pats (over-the-hill Dillion, Jordan, Morris, BJGE). Maroney really did not do anything special above these guys. A 1st round RB should be a work horse (ala Adrian Peterson). Maroney has materialized into an average supplemental player. His ineffectiveness forced Pats into a running by committee approach. That's not Pats envisioned for him when they drafted him.

By 2011, this issue will be settled. If he does not show major improvement, he won't be in the league. This is a shock to many on this board who believe that Maroney has shown enough flashes of greatness.

Recent first round running backs (All the first rounders since 2001):

Darren McFadden (missed 3 games as a rookie)
Jonathan Stewart (fine rookie season)
Felix Jones (played in only 6 games as a rookie this season)
Rashard Mendenhall (played in only 4 games as a rookie this season)
Chris Johnson (fine rookie season)

Adrian Peterson (missed 2 games as a rookie with a leg injury, played the full season last year)
Marshawn Lynch (missed 4 games in his 2 seasons)

Reggie Bush (missed 10 games the past 2 seasons)
Laurence Maroney (Topic of discussion)
DeAngelo Williams (Pretty healthy his whole career 13 games as a rookie)
Joseph Addai (missed 4 games last year, has a lower ypc than Maroney)

Ronnie Brown (Missed 9 games the season before last, has 1 full season in four)
Cedric Benson (4 seasons, no 16 game season, generally considered a bust)
Cadillac Williams (played in 10 games total the past 2 seasons)

Steven Jackson (5 seasons, 1 16 game season)
Chris Perry (Bust, and multiple seasons hampered by injury)
Kevin Jones (5 seasons, never a 16 game season)

Willis McGahee (knee injury before he even entered the league, mostly healthy since)
Larry Johnson (Played in 16 games in his first 2 years and only 8 last year)

William Green (bust)
T.J. Duckett (7 years in the league, 1 16 game season)

LaDainian Thomlinson (Various and sundry injuries)
Deuce McAllister (multiple knee injuries and surgeries)
Michael Bennett (8 NFL seasons, only twice has played in 16 games)

Now, note how few of the running backs on this list that have remained healthy. Then, notice that despite your nonsense about this team's passing game and receivers, Maroney averaged 4.3 ypc the season that Reche Caldwell was the team's #1 receiver and has a higher career ypc than the runner you were pimping (Addai).

Last edited:
Your threads are all conjecture and exaggeration that not only do not have statistics to back them up, but actually fly in the face of statistics. You should have been here a few months ago, you would have fit right in then.

Well said as usual, PJ.

Maroney is who he is. He's not an every-down, every-game back, if such a thing even exists in the NFL anymore. But, he will give any team with a respectable OL 12 or so good to very good games a year, including a few 100 yarders. His yards per carry is 4.3 and, while his playing time has been limited, he stacks up well with much higher profile RB's.

He is, to some degree, a victim of high expectations. Nonetheless, if he doesn't have a career-ending injury, he'll be in the league as a #2 back, solid in tandem with at least one other RB, for a long time.

Last edited:

Now, note how few of the running backs on this list that have remained healthy. Then, notice that despite your nonsense about this team's passing game and receivers, Maroney averaged 4.3 ypc the season that Reche Caldwell was the team's #1 receiver and has a higher career ypc than the runner you were pimping (Addai).

Thanks for the stats, DI, and the work that went into aggregating and presenting them. Maroney is a very good NFL back who will give the Pats or another team many strong years of production in combo with one or more other backs. He'll have some great games, he'll have a lot of "good" games, he won't get going in a few games and he'll miss other games because of injury. That is who he is. I'm glad he's on the team and hope the Pats can keep him.

Your threads are all conjecture and exaggeration that not only do not have statistics to back them up, but actually fly in the face of statistics. You should have been here a few months ago, you would have fit right in then.

Look below for the non-lazy man's version of my post. :D

Darren McFadden (missed 3 games as a rookie)
Jonathan Stewart (fine rookie season)
Felix Jones (played in only 6 games as a rookie this season)
Rashard Mendenhall (played in only 4 games as a rookie this season)
Chris Johnson (fine rookie season)

Adrian Peterson (missed 2 games as a rookie with a leg injury, played the full season last year)

Ronnie Brown (Missed 9 games the season before last, has 1 full season in four)
Cedric Benson (4 seasons, no 16 game season, generally considered a bust)
Cadillac Williams (played in 10 games total the past 2 seasons)

Steven Jackson (5 seasons, 1 16 game season)
Chris Perry (Bust, and multiple seasons hampered by injury)
Kevin Jones (5 seasons, never a 16 game season)

Willis McGahee (knee injury before he even entered the league, mostly healthy since)
Larry Johnson (Played in 16 games in his first 2 years and only 8 last year)

William Green (bust)
T.J. Duckett (7 years in the league, 1 16 game season)

LaDainian Thomlinson (Various and sundry injuries)
Deuce McAllister (multiple knee injuries and surgeries)
Michael Bennett (8 NFL seasons, only twice has played in 16 games)

Maybe he was being sincere and he just really likes you.

Mancrush...I agree. I thought cog....whatever was a desert?
DW Toys

Cousin, I said you win. I agree with everything you say. You are way smarter than I will ever be. I can see that now. I have changed my opinion. Your points are well beyond any logical retort I might consider. Why should I let my facts be more of a consideration than yours? James Sanders is a way above average Safety. I am leaning to maybe even better than that.
DW Toys

This is his last season to prove himself with the Patriots. If he does the same old s***, then he's a bust.

I like the way you framed things... yeh you are right right... Addai missed about as many games and was less effective than Maroney. Adrain Peterson was nothing special either.

Maroney is a star waiting to happen. Nice :rolleyes:

I like the way you framed things... yeh you are right right... Addai missed about as many games and was less effective than Maroney. Adrain Peterson was nothing special either.

Maroney is a star waiting to happen. Nice :rolleyes:

I didn't "frame" anything. But, then again, you already know that.

This is his 4th year, he's nearing the prime for a running back. If he doesn't break out this year then he peobably will never be what we all expect him to be.

That said, I hope he shows more of what we saw in the final stretch of the 08 season. :)

There is no question is my mind that Maroney would now be a very valuable back if he hadn't been injured. That being said, I never saw Maroney as the man to give the rock to. To me, he was always to be the lightning to Dillon's thunder.

Quesiton is -- Who is the Pats Thunder now?

Fred Taylor, 6'1 228 lbs, Age 33
Sammy Morris, 6' 220 lbs, Age 32

I think/hope these guys can still bring it this year, but they are no longer spring chickens. ;) I hope that BB considers Greene/Jennings for an apprentice role in say the 3rd round.

Maroney is our #4 RB and could be our kick returner. As a #4 back, he is an OK talent even now, better than BJGE who is the other potential #4 RB.

??????????????????????????????/

Thank goodness that no longer happens.:D

This is ridiculous. Moroney has become the teams' official scapegoat. You cannot help being injured, ESPECIALLY if you're playing a position like RB. I can't see all the hate being heaped on a RB with a 4.5+ ypc average. If you want to complain that he's been injury prone, THAT's legitimate, but to say he's a bust, as in not talented or productive enough to justify a low !st round pick, you are greatly mistaken....not that anything I've writen will change the hater's minds.

I would say in the NFL, the guy with the ball in his hands is prone to injury by definition. If you just hand the ball to those 300 lb guys, most of these injuries could be prevented.

This is ridiculous. Moroney has become the teams' official scapegoat. You cannot help being injured, ESPECIALLY if you're playing a position like RB. I can't see all the hate being heaped on a RB with a 4.5+ ypc average. If you want to complain that he's been injury prone, THAT's legitimate, but to say he's a bust, as in not talented or productive enough to justify a low !st round pick, you are greatly mistaken....not that anything I've writen will change the hater's minds.
Your sober moments frighten me! Well said sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back