Votes: 52 24.6%
  • I'll tell you after this year

Votes: 123 58.3%
  • No Way

Votes: 36 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. He will not change a running style that he has done all his life.
He was never a full time back. His trade value is as high as it will ever be. They did not bring Taylor in to sit on the bench end of story! Share?........ Yes, Taylor and Morris.
Cousins, if you believe that there will be a three way share of touches, I beg to differ.
Send him to RB staved and the "we need weapons" McNabb pouting Eagles for Gocong which is a very fair trade. Gocong could be the new Vrabel. The Eagles have three talented OLBs.
Next years value is nada cousins.
DW Toys

I think a year under Fred Taylor's tutelage may do wonders for Maroney's running style. He is an intelligent kid and appears very motivated coming into this year. Taylor is the best possible role model for him. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

I think the people who say "wait until the end of this year" are being a little too optimistic.

Unlike QBs and WRs, RBs are expected to produce earlier in their careers as opposed to the latter years. Maroney was a first round pick and his production has not even come close to the expectations set by a first round running back. He just seems to lack the vision to break some long runs.

BINGO! You said it. Maroney's biggest issue is lack of vision and feel. You can't keep piling into the back of your O-Linemen if there is a hole left or right with just one sideways step.
You can't teach the kid this. He has it or he doesn't.

The other thing important for a back is durability. No way does that fit Maroney. Even if he comes in and plays this year, I suspect it will be mediocre at best.

So let's DO A GM evaluation.You judge:
1-Speed?-Yes
2-Nice kid?-Yes
3-Vision and elusiveness?-No
4-Durability?-No
5-Power runner at 222lbs?-No
6-Pass catching ability?-INC. (won't let you forget Faulk)
7-Pass blocking ability? Who knows? Never plays that much(see #6)
8-First round value?-No
9-Present possible trade value?-Yes (new start somewhere else. Maybe it is our scheme that does not work for him?)
(9a-If we can get a second or third rounder or a decent CB or OLB for him would you trade him?-Yes)
(9b-Would a second or third round back like Donald Brown or Rashad Jennings fill his shoes on the Pats roster?-Yes)
10-Does moving him help our CAP? Yes to about about $2.5m

Take this test and see what you come up with.
DW Toys

I didn't check any of the choices because none of them describe what I think about Maroney.

I don't think he's a bust.
I don't think one more year will change anything.
"No way!" sounds like I think he's the reincarnation of Curtis Martin.

My answer is:

"He is who he is."

He is not an every-down, every-game running back. He is injury prone and seems to have trouble running downfield in the NFL. Nonetheless, he will give any team he is playing with 10--12 or so very good games every year, closing in on 1,000 yards in several of those games if he can dance free, get into the secondary and break two or three big gainers.

The problem, of course, is that he was drafted as a number one Running Back but it has turned out that he is more aptly described as someone who can do a decent job sharing the load during a long season.

I won't even go near the question of whether there is still such a thing as an every-down, every-game dominant RB in the NFL any more, with very, very rare exceptions.

Does that make him a "bust?" I don't think so. I don't think we'll see anything different this year than in any of his past years.

When his contract is up, he will be very marketable, but as "who he is" not "what we hoped he would be." I think he'll be around the NFL in that capacity for a long time, whether with the Patriots or not.

No doubt Maroney is a bust. With a potent passing offense and TB, Moss, Welker being the very best of their positions (QB, Wideout, slot), the running game can be successful with even average talent. You could argue the team has been more successful with Morris, Jordan and BJEG. Maroney has performed like a 5th rounder so far; he is not worthy the 1st round pick the team wasted on him.

Look Joseph Addai, who was picked after Maroney in the same class. The guy is lethal in Colts offense. No doubt he benefited also from a potent passing offense with Manning and Wayne. But Addai has consistently gained 6-7 yards a pop; he carries colts offense especially in playoff. The guy is also a first-down machine, converting like 75-80% of third down carries into first downs. He is an excellent receiving threat coming out of backfield. Remember he turn a dump-off pass into 72 yard touchdown catch and run just before half-time in the last game against Pats?

Addai is a much better runner, better blocker, much much better receiver than Maroney. Addai was drafted after Maroney, costs less, and played much bigger role to Colts offense than Maroney has ever been able to achieve.

Maroney was drafted in the first round, but can easily been replaced by guys like Jordan, BJGE. His contribution to Pats is limited. Therefore he is a bust. No doubt in my mind.

There were ramblings about Maroney and Chad Jackson's work ethics and maturity a couple years ago. Maybe the source of lack of progress:confused:.

Uh, I hate to break it to you but Addai has a career YPC average of 4.2, including a dismal 3.5 YPC last season.

This is ridiculous. Moroney has become the teams' official scapegoat. You cannot help being injured, ESPECIALLY if you're playing a position like RB.
Maroney is a lost cause. His market value is below a 5th rounder if you tried to trade him today. He is injury prone, limited as a runner, ineffective as a blocker or backfield receiver. In other words, he is the anti-Joseph Addai. The cold fact is, Maroney is a bust for a 1st rounder. The team has done everything for him to be successful. It just take some people longer to accept the truth. By start of 2011 season, he will be in a FA and maybe picked up for a spot on practice squad, then be released again and that will be the end of his football career. He will be rembered like Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson.

We had high hopes for him when he came out Minnesota. But some people are destined to be Great College Player.

First of all, how the hell do you know what his market value is? Do you work for the league?

How is he limited as a runner, considering he has a higher YPC average than Addai (and probably a lot of other backs, if anyone cares to look it up)?

He's already much better than Jackson or Johnson ever were. In summation, your post is a load of garbage.

Absolutely. He will not change a running style that he has done all his life.
He was never a full time back. His trade value is as high as it will ever be. They did not bring Taylor in to sit on the bench end of story! Share?........ Yes, Taylor and Morris.
Cousins, if you believe that there will be a three way share of touches, I beg to differ.
Send him to RB staved and the "we need weapons" McNabb pouting Eagles for Gocong which is a very fair trade. Gocong could be the new Vrabel. The Eagles have three talented OLBs.
Next years value is nada cousins.
DW Toys

Good lord.

People can repeat things to you over and over and you just don't get it. There is simply no evidence that his value has peaked, other than the apparent desire on your part to see him fail.

He will not be traded because, as I and other people have told you repeatedly, it costs the team more to trade him than it does to keep him.

I suggest you build yourself a bridge and get over this fact, much like the fact that James Sanders will, in all likelihood, start at SS this season.

Last edited:
Good lord.

People can repeat things to you over and over and you just don't get it. There is simply no evidence that his value has peaked, other than the apparent desire on your part to see him fail.

He will not be traded because, as I and other people have told you repeatedly, it costs the team more to trade him than it does to keep him.

I suggest you build yourself a bridge and get over this fact, much like the fact that James Sanders will, in all likelihood, start at SS this season.

Jack, Your binkies are Maroney and Sanders. I am sooooo glad that you and "others" have told me Maroney will not be traded. I am relieved..whew! Thanks cousins!
The Patriots are not perfect and make mistakes. Player personnel is a gamble. Every player can't be All Pro. If you insist that every player on the Pats can start over anyone else in this league wouldn't you call yourself a little teenie,weenie bit of a homer? Sanders rots...End of story. Are you aware that the Patriots were victimized by the most TDs by pass of any team in the NFL in 2008? Jack, where do you think that most of those passes went, up the sidelines or over the middle? He is a JAG brought back as we are down to one Safety. If they would have waited a few days longer they could have gotten Sean Jones for the same money....Go ahead and now tell me Jones was not the player that Sanders is....Look where they are rated by the NFL Jack! Lets leave this Sanders discussion alone. I have proved my point. I hope I am wrong about little James but I am not.
This is about Maroney. I was excited when we drafted him. Read some of the very intelligent comments in this Thread. I am not an Adai fan but for the last three years combined he has out performed Maroney. This is a true statement. Another great point was made that a first round running back should have an immediate impact, not four years later. The red flag when we drafted him was he was not a full time RB.
Jack if your real name is Bill Belichick I am sorry that I have crossed you Bill and I guess I bow to your decisions as I am the one who knows nada.
Lighten up, Francis!
DW Toys

P.S. We save $2.5m in CAP on Maroney if we can trade or cut him sir.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone can say "No Way". He's been such a letdown.

Well, at first glance... he did contribute somewhat. So, technically... not a bust.

BUT...

Should we be expecting more from him?

Absolutely. No doubt about it.

Close to a bust, but, enough stats that you can't put him there.

Watson is in the same realm.

----

Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson... if they were drafted in the 1st round - total busts.

----

I hope LoMo has a healthy year this year to prove everyone wrong.

That would be enlightening.

Last edited:
Jack, Your binkies are Maroney and Sanders. I am sooooo glad that you and "others" have told me Maroney will not be traded. I am relieved..whew! Thanks cousins!

Just because I am able to discuss them without being entirely irrational does not make them my "binkies."

The Patriots are not perfect and make mistakes. Player personnel is a gamble. Every player can't be All Pro. If you insist that every player on the Pats can start over anyone else in this league wouldn't you call yourself a little teenie,weenie bit of a homer? Sanders rots...End of story.

And here, once again, you have proven my point.

I have never claimed that Sanders is an All-Pro safety. But he's an above average, serviceable starter. The fact that you rate his coverage skills an "F" shows you have no credibility on the subject.

Are you aware that the Patriots were victimized by the most TDs by pass of any team in the NFL in 2008? Jack, where do you think that most of those passes went, up the sidelines or over the middle?

There were a multitude of factors as to why this was the case. Revolving door at CB (including the putrid Deltha O'Neal), inexperienced LBs in the middle and slow LBs on the outside, lack of a pass rush, and so on.

He is a JAG brought back as we are down to one Safety. If they would have waited a few days longer they could have gotten Sean Jones for the same money....Go ahead and now tell me Jones was not the player that Sanders is....Look where they are rated by the NFL Jack! Lets leave this Sanders discussion alone. I have proved my point. I hope I am wrong about little James but I am not.

You haven't proven any point. You just repeat the same anecdotal mantras over and over as if somehow they constitute some sort of evidence of your claim. If only by the way the Patriots have treated Sanders, we know without a doubt that he is not as bad as you say. I don't even need to tell you how laughable it is that you cite the Patriots not going after Sean Jones as some soft of indictment of Sanders. Does that even make sense to you?

This is about Maroney. I was excited when we drafted him. Read some of the very intelligent comments in this Thread. I am not an Adai fan but for the last three years combined he has out performed Maroney. This is a true statement. Another great point was made that a first round running back should have an immediate impact, not four years later. The red flag when we drafted him was he was not a full time RB.

P.S. We save $2.5m in CAP on Maroney if we can trade or cut him sir.

Addai has done well because he has stayed healthy. If Maroney stays healthy, he's a better running back than Addai. You know who else used to be very injury prone? Fred Taylor. Addai may very well end up as the better back in the long run, but the jury is still out. It all depends on Maroney and whether he can stay healthy.

And no, I'm pretty sure we would swallow a cap hit if we get rid of Maroney.

Lets put it this way ....

After his likely semi-short crappy career,I could see him becoming a winner on DANCING With The Stars

Maroney played well in his rookie year. Both the patriots and colts drafted high for Maroney and Addai. Both of us got what we expected. The problem with Maroney is that he has been injured. That does not make him a bust. I could say the same for a couple of wider receivers we drafted, but I guess I should avoid the flames. :)

There is no question is my mind that Maroney would now be a very valuable back if he hadn't been injured. That being said, I never saw Maroney as the man to give the rock to. To me, he was always to be the lightning to Dillon's thunder.

As it is, Maroney is an inexpensive backup and perhaps a returner. We have him for two years at a reasonable price. He is much more valuable to the team than BJGE.

OK, you asked for judgement of your analysis as a GM in this matter and I will give it you.

I judge your analysis an "F".

The key factor is value and the cap. Maroney is our #4 RB and could be our kick returner. As a #4 back, he is an OK talent even now, better than BJGE who is the other potential #4 RB.

It would COST US $725K of cap money to cut or trade Maroney. To be off by over $3M in the analysis of the cap on one player, when the information is readily available, causes the grade of "F"

BINGO! You said it. Maroney's biggest issue is lack of vision and feel. You can't keep piling into the back of your O-Linemen if there is a hole left or right with just one sideways step.
You can't teach the kid this. He has it or he doesn't.

The other thing important for a back is durability. No way does that fit Maroney. Even if he comes in and plays this year, I suspect it will be mediocre at best.

So let's DO A GM evaluation.You judge:
1-Speed?-Yes
2-Nice kid?-Yes
3-Vision and elusiveness?-No
4-Durability?-No
5-Power runner at 222lbs?-No
6-Pass catching ability?-INC. (won't let you forget Faulk)
7-Pass blocking ability? Who knows? Never plays that much(see #6)
8-First round value?-No
9-Present possible trade value?-Yes (new start somewhere else. Maybe it is our scheme that does not work for him?)
(9a-If we can get a second or third rounder or a decent CB or OLB for him would you trade him?-Yes)
(9b-Would a second or third round back like Donald Brown or Rashad Jennings fill his shoes on the Pats roster?-Yes)
10-Does moving him help our CAP? Yes to about about $2.5m

Take this test and see what you come up with.
DW Toys

If Maroney is to be labeled a bust for any reason, it will be because he's injury prone. Physically, he can do it. We've seen flashes of brilliance. He looked great early on in his rookie year and put a couple of our playoff games on his back in 2007. 2008, he suffered a season ending injury and has yet to play a complete sixteen game season as a pro. The people who say he's made of glass could have some merit if he goes down again in 2009. I'll be able to give a more accurate opinion (as in yes, he is a bust or no, he isn't a bust) after this season. But I'm hoping for a healthy season from #39.

Maroney played well in his rookie year. Both the patriots and colts drafted high for Maroney and Addai. Both of us got what we expected. The problem with Maroney is that he has been injured. That does not make him a bust. I could say the same for a couple of wider receivers we drafted, but I guess I should avoid the flames. :)

There is no question is my mind that Maroney would now be a very valuable back if he hadn't been injured. That being said, I never saw Maroney as the man to give the rock to. To me, he was always to be the lightning to Dillon's thunder.

As it is, Maroney is an inexpensive backup and perhaps a returner. We have him for two years at a reasonable price. He is much more valuable to the team than BJGE.

I consider Maroney a bust sorely for lack of production. NFL is a no execuse business. Injury is part of the game. A player's value is judged by his production on the field. Very few players are 100% healthy for the duration of a season. Great players often play through injuries. (same reason in many people's eyes, LT has lost a lot of shine for sitting out last two playoffs)

Pats' potent passing offense should lift the production of RBs. No surprise that a bunch lesser RBs have done well for pats (over-the-hill Dillion, Jordan, Morris, BJGE). Maroney really did not do anything special above these guys. A 1st round RB should be a work horse (ala Adrian Peterson). Maroney has materialized into an average supplemental player. His ineffectiveness forced Pats into a running by committee approach. That's not Pats envisioned for him when they drafted him.

By 2011, this issue will be settled. If he does not show major improvement, he won't be in the league. This is a shock to many on this board who believe that Maroney has shown enough flashes of greatness.

I consider Maroney a bust sorely for lack of production. NFL is a no execuse business. Injury is part of the game. A player's value is judged by his production on the field. Very few players are 100% healthy for the duration of a season. Great players often play through injuries. (same reason in many people's eyes, LT has lost a lot of shine for sitting out last two playoffs)

Pats' potent passing offense should lift the production of RBs. No surprise that a bunch lesser RBs have done well for pats (over-the-hill Dillion, Jordan, Morris, BJGE). Maroney really did not do anything special above these guys. A 1st round RB should be a work horse (ala Adrian Peterson). Maroney has materialized into an average supplemental player. His ineffectiveness forced Pats into a running by committee approach. That's not Pats envisioned for him when they drafted him.

By 2011, this issue will be settled. If he does not show major improvement, he won't be in the league. This is a shock to many on this board who believe that Maroney has shown enough flashes of greatness.

A bust would be someone like Ki Jana Carter or Cedric Benson. Maroney has been disappointing due to injury, sure, but he's not a bust. When healthy, he's an effective RB and is explosive in space. Lots of teams have a by committee approach (this is the future arrangement in the league, IMO), and that's not necessarily an indictment of Maroney.

Show improvement? If by show improvement you mean stay healthy, we agree. Using your Joseph Addai standard the evidence is clear: Maroney is no doubt an NFL-caliber running back. This may be a shock to you, but if he can stay healthy, he's already proven all he needs to prove.

Last edited:
Just because I am able to discuss them without being entirely irrational does not make them my "binkies."

And here, once again, you have proven my point.

I have never claimed that Sanders is an All-Pro safety. But he's an above average, serviceable starter. The fact that you rate his coverage skills an "F" shows you have no credibility on the subject.

There were a multitude of factors as to why this was the case. Revolving door at CB (including the putrid Deltha O'Neal), inexperienced LBs in the middle and slow LBs on the outside, lack of a pass rush, and so on.

You haven't proven any point. You just repeat the same anecdotal mantras over and over as if somehow they constitute some sort of evidence of your claim. If only by the way the Patriots have treated Sanders, we know without a doubt that he is not as bad as you say. I don't even need to tell you how laughable it is that you cite the Patriots not going after Sean Jones as some soft of indictment of Sanders. Does that even make sense to you?

Addai has done well because he has stayed healthy. If Maroney stays healthy, he's a better running back than Addai. You know who else used to be very injury prone? Fred Taylor. Addai may very well end up as the better back in the long run, but the jury is still out. It all depends on Maroney and whether he can stay healthy.

And no, I'm pretty sure we would swallow a cap hit if we get rid of Maroney.

Well Jack, once again your expert knowledge has proved me wrong and you are 100% right. You win Cousin. Does that make you feel better now? You are the entitled personnel expert and main Patriots authority. I bow down to your superior knowledge and intellect. I am so sorry I ever questioned you. Forgive me kind sir.

Now let this be a lesson to anyone else that dare cross Jack!!! You too will finally realize his power of logical persuasion.

You will realize his wrongs are now right about CAP hits on Maroney and verifiable statements that Sanders is way above average as a safety. How dare we consider a S like Jones even though his superior FA ranking and stats must now be questioned to the league and set right,... for crying out loud cousins! Is there no justice in this world?....Can I get an Amen here? There must be a mistake!

Jack you are right again. My comments were laughable. I am laughing right now about how stupid I am. And those explanations as to why the Pats had the most TD passes allowed last year, mostly right over the middle are certainly that bum Mayo and O'Neils and Hobbs fault. What was I thinking!

I don't know about you cousins, but after that JB scolding, Jim Brown look out when it comes to brother Maroney. Does the NFL have a Heisman? I'll vote for him. I can see the trophy pose now.

You win Jack. That was easy. You just had to convince me a little better. Mission accomplished. Cousins, ole' DW Toys admits he is never right about anything. Have mercy on me. I am a sinner.
DW Toys

Your threads are all conjecture and exaggeration that not only do not have statistics to back them up, but actually fly in the face of statistics. You should have been here a few months ago, you would have fit right in then.

Well Jack, once again your expert knowledge has proved me wrong and you are 100% right.

Must you throw in Sanders in every discussion? You should have stopped after the first sentence of this post. The fact that you claim there would be a cap savings from cutting Maroney said more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes