PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is local sports talk radio becoming irrelevant????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely listen to WEEI anymore. Last week I was so sick of hearing about the Red Sox I just shut them all off. Even my 12 year old said "cant they find something else to talk about its like they are running over a dead animal over and over again".

Indeed.... The local sports talk radio is so irrelevant that we get thread after thread complaining about the topics and quality on the local sports talk radio.

And your in every single one of those threads .. Let the people vent. :cool:

As bad as the two sports station can be, it could be worse. I was flipping through the channels today and stopped on WAAF. They were talking about Asante Samuel. One of the hosts said "Resign him because he is a top 3 CB in the league". They went on to talk about Patriots players they have or should bring back and when Lawyer Milloy's name came up, the same host said "Milloy was a top CORNERBACK in the past, but he isn't anymore".

So I guess we should just be happy with mediocre Patriots talk peppered in with a lot of Red Sox clubhouse talk because it could be worse.

And your in every single one of those threads .. Let the people vent. :cool:

Vent in one big thread. Vent in another forum.

Vent away, just quit making OT thread after OT thread about it, especially because most of the "venting" is griping about things that aren't actually true.

Vent in one big thread. Vent in another forum.

Vent away, just quit making OT thread after OT thread about it, especially because most of the "venting" is griping about things that aren't actually true.

What isn't true is that WEEI actually talks about football. I understand the dynamic, WEEI has Red Sox broadcasts and they probably believe that even bad news is good for ticket sales, but it is FOOTBALL SEASON. I have had this unreachable pain in my butt since Feb when the trucks left for spring training. I do not care about the Red Sox, they are a bunch of overpaid morons whose sole profession would consist of "Paper or plastic" if not for the rediculous business model in place in baseball.

Even this week, the week leading up to a very important football game against the Steelers, both stations talk about baseball, but WEEI is the worst. I am the consumer that both stations are looking for, blue collar worker who sits and listens to the radio for 2+ hours every day. A guy who is actually interested in what they might be saying and then EEI and the Hub produce two weeks of white noise about beer, chicken, Tommy John and the Cubs. Then, they talk about Gonk and Bibi Jones, which is just slightly more interesting than a one hour farm report on radio.

The obsession with the Red Sox is clearly present at both Radio Stations, but it really isn't out in the real world. There are people who are baseball people, and people who are football people, but talking about what is going on at Yawkey Way in Oct is nuts, I mean the World Series is still going on (I think) and even that is like watching wallpaper peal away from the wall slowly. My son is as big a baseball fan as anybody I know and even he is sick of Red Sox talk. The Sox sucked this year, even if they were the best team evah! They do not deserve the air time or the devotion of people who talk on radio for a living. We have a world champion hockey team that can't get a sniff of air time at EEI and gets too much air time at the Hub, a Basketball team that is on strike and a football team that has the best reacord in the AFC and has enough flaws to fill 24 hours of air time, yet the "experts" on the air insist on talking about a team that doesn't play another game that counts for 5 months.

Don't know why you are sticking up for EEI and the Hub, and maybe you listen to the radio more than we do, but when it counts during drive time, when people are actually listening to the radio, it has been non stop Red Sox. It has gotten to the point that when anybody starts talking baseball, I turn to politics or music. If I get the least bit interested, I don't go back. I can't stand any more baseball, even at its best, it is a boring sport.

What isn't true is that WEEI actually talks about football. I understand the dynamic, WEEI has Red Sox broadcasts and they probably believe that even bad news is good for ticket sales, but it is FOOTBALL SEASON. I have had this unreachable pain in my butt since Feb when the trucks left for spring training. I do not care about the Red Sox, they are a bunch of overpaid morons whose sole profession would consist of "Paper or plastic" if not for the rediculous business model in place in baseball.

Even this week, the week leading up to a very important football game against the Steelers, both stations talk about baseball, but WEEI is the worst. I am the consumer that both stations are looking for, blue collar worker who sits and listens to the radio for 2+ hours every day. A guy who is actually interested in what they might be saying and then EEI and the Hub produce two weeks of white noise about beer, chicken, Tommy John and the Cubs. Then, they talk about Gonk and Bibi Jones, which is just slightly more interesting than a one hour farm report on radio.

The obsession with the Red Sox is clearly present at both Radio Stations, but it really isn't out in the real world. There are people who are baseball people, and people who are football people, but talking about what is going on at Yawkey Way in Oct is nuts, I mean the World Series is still going on (I think) and even that is like watching wallpaper peal away from the wall slowly. My son is as big a baseball fan as anybody I know and even he is sick of Red Sox talk. The Sox sucked this year, even if they were the best team evah! They do not deserve the air time or the devotion of people who talk on radio for a living. We have a world champion hockey team that can't get a sniff of air time at EEI and gets too much air time at the Hub, a Basketball team that is on strike and a football team that has the best reacord in the AFC and has enough flaws to fill 24 hours of air time, yet the "experts" on the air insist on talking about a team that doesn't play another game that counts for 5 months.

Don't know why you are sticking up for EEI and the Hub, and maybe you listen to the radio more than we do, but when it counts during drive time, when people are actually listening to the radio, it has been non stop Red Sox. It has gotten to the point that when anybody starts talking baseball, I turn to politics or music. If I get the least bit interested, I don't go back. I can't stand any more baseball, even at its best, it is a boring sport.

1.) Your personal dislike of baseball is irrelevant to the market, because the numbers run the other way in the Boston area. Too many here don't seem to get that.

2.) WEEI talks plenty of football, as does 8.5. Where each one lacks is with a minor sport, because WEEI is generally short on hockey talk and 8.5 is generally short on basketball talk.

3.) I'm not really defending the stations so much as pointing out what a load of garbage most of you are posting with your gripes. There are perfectly valid complaints that can be made about both stations, so the made up gripes aren't necessary. Neither local station is single sport oriented, because they are general sports talk stations. Deal with it instead of crying like a bunch of schoolgirls.

Last edited:
1.) Your personal dislike of baseball is irrelevant to the market, because the numbers run the other way in the Boston area. Too many here don't seem to get that.

As far as one individual bias/opinion doesn't represent the market I think that individual is you since the rest of us represent the majority here anyway. Your 'too many here' quote contradicts your early part of the statement.

I'm not really defending the stations so much as pointing out what a load of garbage most of you are posting with your gripes. There are perfectly valid complaints that can be made about both stations, so the made up gripes aren't necessary. Neither local station is single sport oriented, because they are general sports talk stations. Deal with it instead of crying like a bunch of schoolgirls.

As far as us posting garbage it seems a lot of us hear the same baseball talk yet you ,singular you, hear football talk and thus you got it right and the majority got it wrong. Ego much? And somehow you are shocked that in a football forum the majority of the people want football talk? For a guy that thinks highly of himself you really missed the boat on this one.

My last reply to you will be this to save the spin you will put on this post. You tend to do that a lot in threads to get a discussion muddled so people cant even remember what they were talking about anyway. You know lawyer stuff not interested. Good day

Last edited:

2.) WEEI talks plenty of football, as does 8.5. Where each one lacks is with a minor sport, because WEEI is generally short on hockey talk and 8.5 is generally short on basketball talk.

3.) I'm not really defending the stations so much as pointing out what a load of garbage most of you are posting with your gripes. There are perfectly valid complaints that can be made about both stations, so the made up gripes aren't necessary. Neither local station is single sport oriented, because they are general sports talk stations. Deal with it instead of crying like a bunch of schoolgirls.

You are wrong, excuse me, your impression of Boston talk radio content is misguided. I drive prime time both ways, for the past two weeks EEI hasn't been talking football, just about chicken and Theo. the Hub has been slightly better, but not much. What you don't understand is that most people can only listen dring the drive time periods, and that is why you are the defender of the Boston radio flame when everybody else is telling you how wrong you are.

The fact that I am not a baseball guy has nothing to do with the pain in my hair, what little I have left. All of this Red Sox talk really is making my hair hurt. Last Monday they had the Belichick interview and then shifted back into baseball once it was over, they talked to Wilfork, then talked baseball. About 20 minutes ago EEI was talking about Terry Francona and how Joe Madden thinks he is getting screwed. You must listen all day, hear the large sample. I listen when I am in my truck, and the past two weeks has been nonstop baseball during drivetime. Is it ratings period? Will we be subjected to more Bud Lite talk and Popeyes Chicken talk, and Theo is gone, why doesn't anybody care talk?

Eventually football season will end and they can continue talking about baseball and nobody will notice anything different. For 15 years I ahve been doing close to 100 miles round trip a day, and it has never been this bad. It is almost like the competition between the two station is about how many people they can force to listen to something other than sports radio. Hey, election season is coming and then there might be something interesting to listen to on the radio, because neither one will talk football when I am listening.

amen to that.

As far as one individual bias/opinion doesn't represent the market I think that individual is you since the rest of us represent the majority here anyway. Your 'too many here' quote contradicts your early part of the statement.

If you think "People who post on Patriots forums and don't like baseball" is the majority demographic in Boston, I'll just politely disagree with your take.

As far as us posting garbage it seems a lot of us hear the same baseball talk yet you ,singular you, hear football talk and thus you got it right and the majority got it wrong. Ego much? And somehow you are shocked that in a football forum the majority of the people want football talk? For a guy that thinks highly of himself you really missed the boat on this one.

It's not about ego, slick. It's about what's actually happening on the radio. I'm not shocked that the football forum people want football talk. I'm fascinated by the fact that the football forum people are so mentally warped on this particular issue that they can't handle hearing other sports talk, yet they keep listening to the stations and/or they keep spending time crying about it in OT threads on the forum. Are you people masochists?

My last reply to you will be this to save the spin you will put on this post. You tend to do that a lot in threads to get a discussion muddled so people cant even remember what they were talking about anyway. You know lawyer stuff not interested. Good day

Stop posting garbage. Good day. (There shouldn't be anything muddled about this post...)

Last edited:
Hey since the Theo thing is final and the dust has settled guess whats been on the radio all day? Hockey and football. Amazing how when a big story is over they stop talking about it.

If you think "People who post on Patriots forums and don't like baseball" is the majority demographic in Boston, I'll just politely disagree with your take.

It's not about ego, slick. It's about what's actually happening on the radio. I'm not shocked that the football forum people want football talk. I'm fascinated by the fact that the football forum people are so mentally warped on this particular issue that they can't handle hearing other sports talk, yet they keep listening to the stations and/or they keep spending time crying about it in OT threads on the forum. Are you people masochists?

Stop posting garbage. Good day. (There shouldn't be anything muddled about this post...)
lmao very well said. i couldnt have put it better myself.

Gresh and Zo talk football so at least it is something. but yeah sports radio they turns the shows into some sort of entertainment tonite.

I would think that Radio would address the needs of the hardcore fan, but in a quest to gather rating they try to appeal to the pink hats

You listen for an hour and get 5 min of good football insight on avearge.

I would hope that sports radio would have morphed into something along the lines of smaller more focused discusion. an hour for a topic of the day, another hour for news around the league, 1 hour for next weeks match up and plus and hour for Celtics and Bruins

I don't understand how in 18 hours of talk radio on two stations all week could be dedicated to Gronk and a picture.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the OP, the Soxs ended with a big crash nearly a month ago . . . I REALLY don't want to hear talk about a team that crashed a month ago on a Pats Monday, there are 4 other days of the week in which one can talk Red Sox talk, so give it a rest on Mondays, surely if there is some news over the weekend or on that Monday please talk about it, but I really dont want to rehash last weeks Red Soxs news on a Monday just after a fresh pats game . . .

Is local sports talk radio becoming irrelevant????

That's like asking if water has shown a recent trend towards wetness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back