PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Leigh Bodden one of our next JAG corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots should do this year what they did last year: draft 2 mid round CBs. In 2010, they will have 4 CBs on rookie contracts - at least 2 of them will turn out to be decent and at least 1 of them will be good enough for dime/backup packages - all you really need in the BB scheme -and all 4 will be affordable on rookie contract money.

Basically, this comment relates to this thread because I'd rather see fresh, young, injury free, athletic, and coachable studs back there than Bengal and Lion CB fodder.

I'm with you. The only free agent cornerbacks the Patriots have signed

for the past few years is washed up veterans for one year at the

veteran's minimum.

Didn't you learn your lesson when the Lions cut Fernando Bryant? This should be a huge red flag if a guy can't even stay on the worst team in football. I hope the Pats pass. In fact, the highlights I did see of teams beating the Lions was WR's burning Bodden repeatedly.

Really? Great, sign him up! He could be our next Otis Smith. At the very least it will give us variety in the video. Instead of watching highlights of Hobbs getting burned repeatedly, we get to see Hobbs AND Bodden!!

PS Bodden's 3 year YPA is actually top 10. Although this article was written in 2008 and thus likely doesn't account for his last year with the Lions.

Who Are the Best Cover Corners — 3 Year Averages :: Your Dallas Cowboys Blue and Silver Report

Last edited:
Back to Bartell, I've seen him play a few times and he sucked. THat said, I didn't see him in 08... did he improve vastly?

I've seen way too many Browns games -- Bodden improved pretty much every year with them. And QBs supposedly avoided throwing his way.

Back to Bartell, I've seen him play a few times and he sucked. THat said, I didn't see him in 08... did he improve vastly?

For some reason I got some stuck watching some pretty bad teams on Sunday's this year (fortunately being on Canada's east coast I get all Pats games). I watched at least 5 or 6 Rams games other then the one we played against them:eek: I have met Otagwe a few times so watching the Rams was not so bad. While watching their secondary I noticed Bartell breaking up a lot of passes and being around the ball. If you just watched the Pats game against him he wiffed on the long catch and run across the field by Moss and looked pretty bad. That being said I liked the way he looked but admit I did not watch him much before this season so we could be talking about different guys;)

Last edited:
Anything serious?

They show a serious lack of judgement, but that's about it. Driving the wrong was down a one way street at the Cleveland airport. Failing to respond to an officer. Resisting arrest.

It was all one incident and its unknown if anything more than a slap on the wrist became of it. But there could be an indication of a lack of respect for authority.

Its something that BB could weed out in an interview with him.

great people want another retread out of det like bryant

Do you know ANYTHING about Bodden other than he played for Detroit?

No? Didn't think so.

Bodden is 26 and that is a lot different than the 31 of Fernando Bryant. Bodden was traded to Detroit as part of the Shaun Rogers deal. Did you stop to think he may not have fit in with Detroit's defense? In fact, did you stop to think that the rest of Detroit's defense was so bad that Bodden was going to look bad no matter what?

Why do you make the assumption that Bodden is being cut for his play and NOT because of the 8.6 Million dollar Roster Bonus he is due? That is a much more likely reason to cut someone.

Did you stop to think that Lions defense was, fundamentally, unsound to begin with? Or how about how long it was taking those WRs to actually "burn" Bodden?

I think a bigger reason to not look at Bodden would be his off-field issues.

Your right. I wasn't aware of his bonus. However, teams should be cautious signing players that were cut from the "worst" team in football. We will see how much the Lions value Bodden if they try to re-sign him.

He was pretty darn good just about every time I saw him over the last couple of years. He's on my wish list for sure.

Your right. I wasn't aware of his bonus. However, teams should be cautious signing players that were cut from the "worst" team in football. We will see how much the Lions value Bodden if they try to re-sign him.

A lot will depend on the relationship that Mayhew has with Schwartz and the type of defense that Schwartz is going to want to instill in the secondary. How much input will Mayhew allow Schwartz in the personnel they pursue? Will it be a Tampa 2 Zone type defense? Or will it be more of a Man Coverage? And it will remain to be seen how Schwartz evaluates Bodden's play.

Also, I don't know how involved Mayhew was in getting Bodden signed the the 4 year extension last year. I also don't know if Bodden liked the fact that he was traded to Detroit. If Bodden didn't like the fact that he was traded to Detroit and Mayhew used the 8.6 million roster bonus as a way to placate Bodden, then Bodden could feel betrayed and may not want to be re-signed by the Lions.

There are a lot of things that we don't know about that situation. All we can go on is Bodden's body of work prior to being with Detroit.

Leigh Bodden is actually pretty good. Obviously not Asomugha, but way better than Deltha Airlines.

Shaun Rogers... remember when he did that belly flop on a TD he scored? Awesome.

Leigh Bodden was terrific in Romeo's system in Cleveland. I'd love to see the Pats go after him. I think it's difficult to guage a players ability on an 0-16 team. There's just too much sucking going on, all over.

Just a quick bump to say Bodden has indeed been released today.

Leigh Bodden, Dwight Smith among cuts as Lions release five starters - Detroit Lions: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

The Detroit Lions released six players today, including five players who had starting roles with the team -- cornerback Leigh Bodden, safety Dwight Smith, guard Edwin Mulitalo, receiver Mike Furrey and tight end Dan Campbell were all cut. Tackle Jon Dunn was also released.

Just a quick bump to say Bodden has indeed been released today

Saw this too...weird, I thought Bodden and Furrey were supposed to be 2 of Detroit's best players!?!

I guess when you are terrible the secret is to get rid of all your best players. Hey, it worked for Miami with Jason Taylor!

Seriously, I hope the Pats at least give this guy a call to see what his asking price is.

Leigh Bodden ISN'T a JAG. He's a very solid CB we would be, I'd think, perfectly happy to land. I think he'll be too much $$$.

Leigh Bodden ISN'T a JAG. He's a very solid CB we would be, I'd think, perfectly happy to land. I think he'll be too much $$$.

I guess I should just come out and admit that I'm actually the Pats director of pro personnel. hehe

I guess I should just come out and admit that I'm actually the Pats director of pro personnel. hehe

C'mon, you're going to claim credit for an older thread? I might as well put in then that I was one of the first saying the Cassel/Vrabel trade signaled we would be major FA players. Are you Reese? Get back to work. This is BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back