PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Koppen Too Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Koppen Too Small? You will have to ask his wife. As a center, he goes down with Lenkaitis and Brock as the best in franchise history, but next year we may need to begin looking for his successor.

We'll find out if the Patriots play the Ravens, among other elite teams running the 3-4 with imposing NTs, in the playoffs:

What We Learned in Passing Camp

I don't think Koppen can play week to week against the mammoths the NFL will increasingly be throwing at him. In this copycat league, the success of this 1980s-era defense means more will be reverting to it.

Koppen does well against the 4-3 format where he makes the calls and slides down to help or take one a DT, which often get double-teamed for a time.

Last edited:
We'll find out if the Patriots play the Ravens, among other elite teams running the 3-4 with imposing NTs, in the playoffs:

What We Learned in Passing Camp

I don't think Koppen can play week to week against the mammoths the NFL will increasingly be throwing at him. In this copycat league, the success of this 1980s-era defense means more will be reverting to it.

Koppen does well against the 4-3 format where he makes the calls and slides down to help or take one a DT, which often get double-teamed for a time.

Great points.
Bottom line....

NT's eat him alive. Balt and the other 34's manhandle him.

On the flip side, he has many great qualities...but teams are picking up on our weaknesses (offense/defense) and the club knows this. That's why we're changing stuff up-position/scheme wise (defense esp)

Is Koppen Too Small? You will have to ask his wife. As a center, he goes down with Lenkaitis and Brock as the best in franchise history, but next year we may need to begin looking for his successor.

Jon Morris, Dave Wollabaugh... Wimpy Woody if he could have snapped.

Who said that they didn't draft a Center? IMHO, Ohnberger is going to start out as a reserve C/G, but he is probably going to end up a candidate for starting Center in a year or three...

He has what BB and Dante want in a Center. He is smart, quick, tough, strong an most important, mobile. I also think it is his natural pro position.

Did you hear how Nick Caserio described Ohnrberger? He said Ohnrberger would be the the last one standing from a crowd fought in the dark, in a confined space like a closet. A genuine tough guy. BTW Ohrnberger, a multiple All Big-Ten Guard, lists weight lifting as his "hobby". I've never seen him, but I'd wager there isn't an once of fat on that cut, 290-300 pound physique.:eek::D

I think Bussey is under-rated and is meant to be a genuine reserve Guard candidate. I think he is a lock for PS, his first year.

Ferguson, once good, is on his last legs as a NT. So is the Pitt NT. The Jets brought in Jenkins and converted him to NT. He did a good job, but he too is no spring chicken. The best NTs in the League, are Jamal Williams and Wilfork. I'd bet after a rookie year, keeping Wilfork fresh, Ron Brace will be mentioned in the top half dozen NTs. Too bad NFL, BB has two of the top half dozen NTs in the league.

Good points about Rich Ohrnberger, though I don't think he's much bigger--only stronger than Koppen, whom I expect to be dominated by monster NTs, of which they'll be more.

And you forgot about this guy. He's a harbinger of what's to come, I'm afraid.

Good points about Rich Ohrnberger, though I don't think he's much bigger--only stronger than Koppen, whom I expect to be dominated by monster NTs, of which they'll be more.

And you forgot about this guy. He's a harbinger of what's to come, I'm afraid.

No, I didn't forget Ngata, nor the big guy the Cards have at NT either.
They are up there, and klnd of assume BJ will be there too. I said ther was big half dozen and they ar eboth there.

Re: Is Koppen Too Small?

Yep.

Shaun Ellis dominated him. And Connolly, the fill-in RG, a time or two, too.

Shaun Ellis Looks to Exploit Steelers’ Maurkice Pouncey

It sucked to see that. It'll be interesting how Pittsburgh's bigger and younger center from Florida will do. I don't expect another monster game from Ellis.

The center position is the weakest on the team, after OLB. We could sure use some interior road gradders and re-signing Mankins is THE priority this off-season.

I don't see anyone in our pipeline that I have much interest in seeing playing. I wish we had kept Hochstein.

A couple of years ago there were two good ones. The best, Mack out of California who plays for the Browns and was last seen handling Vince quite well, was just out of our reach. He was the big, athletic, smart kid who has football on the top of his priorities--a perfect addition for Scar to coach.

We need a guy snapping to Brady who won't be manhandled at crunch time.

Yep.

It sucked to see that. It'll be interesting how Pittsburgh's bigger and younger center from Florida will do. I don't expect another monster game from Ellis.

The center position is the weakest on the team, after OLB. We could sure use some interior road gradders and re-signing Mankins is THE priority this off-season.

I don't see anyone in our pipeline that I have much interest in seeing playing. I wish we had kept Hochstein.

A couple of years ago there were two good ones. The best, Mack out of California who plays for the Browns and was last seen handling Vince quite well, was just out of our reach. He was the big, athletic, smart kid who has football on the top of his priorities--a perfect addition for Scar to coach.

Pouncey's going to be all over Ellis. Watch.

Yep.

Center isn't even the weakest position on the offensive line, much less the second weakest position on the team, behind only OLB.

Last edited:
Koppen played well in the regular season. But it is concerning that he often looks overpowered in the postseason against the premier NTs/DTs. Pats interior OL needs to be upgraded for Brady to have enough time to throw. When the Jets brought pressure up the middle. I saw some blown blocking assignments. Maybe Brady was partly at fault for calling bad protections, and his injured foot hindered him from making his usual escape moves in the pocket, but you have to attribute a fair share of the blame to the OL for that loss as well.

Koppen played well in the regular season. But it is concerning that he often looks overpowered in the postseason against the premier NTs/DTs. Pats interior OL needs to be upgraded for Brady to have enough time to throw. When the Jets brought pressure up the middle. I saw some blown blocking assignments. Maybe Brady was partly at fault for calling bad protections, and his injured foot hindered him from making his usual escape moves in the pocket, but you have to attribute a fair share of the blame to the OL for that loss as well.

Koppen is excellent vs everyone his size or smaller. He is one of the best actually. Name a center right now who can block Ngata or Wilfork consistently? Wilfork dominated Mangold as did Ngata. MG didnt stop Wilfork by himself the last game. He had help the entire second half. An excellent adjustment by Ryan.

Be careful what everyone wishes for here. There are dominating players at every position and Centers that can block elite oversized athletic DT's are extremely rare. Koppen is an exceptional talent in this league. I really don't think there is one in this draft to replace Dan or a free agent for that matter. Better game planning in the big games would help too.

Last edited:
I think an upgrade would do nicely. My issue with Koppen isn't his size but rather his strength and technique, protecting Brady is more important than ever as he's becoming increasingly injured.

Koppen was horrible on the O-line prior to getting Mankins back.. Then Koppen seemed to do well until the Play-off game, when he stunk it up again.

I think that it's a toss up between Koppen and Connolly being issues.. I think that a Center who can hold up against the bigger NTs without much help, if any, would be a good thing.. The problem is that I don't know of a center in this draft who can do that. So, that means that replacing Connolly becomes the bigger issue. And there are a couple of guards who could probably step into this offense.

Koppen was horrible on the O-line prior to getting Mankins back.. Then Koppen seemed to do well until the Play-off game, when he stunk it up again.

I think that it's a toss up between Koppen and Connolly being issues.. I think that a Center who can hold up against the bigger NTs without much help, if any, would be a good thing.. The problem is that I don't know of a center in this draft who can do that. So, that means that replacing Connolly becomes the bigger issue. And there are a couple of guards who could probably step into this offense.

I agree here. What Cs are there in FA? I think the time to upgrade over Koppen has come. It's not just the playoffs. Watch the guy the last 3 years anytime he faces an elite NT, our offense usually has lots of issues those days.

I love Neal, but not his injuries. If we can add us a nice C, G and a RB this offense is LOADED.

Jonathan Goodwin is hitting free agency. He's not young but is a big strong guy and centers tend to play at a high level well into their mid-30s anyway. he's also a former college teammate of Brady.

Not if he has a midget fetish.

Moffit from Wisconsin is one player that I have my eye on for a later round pick. Can play G/C and has very good size at 320 lb. More so he is a player who plays with a mean streak. Time to round out the guard box with nasty demeanor guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back