PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Kevin O'Connell, Steve Young to Tom Brady's, Montana??

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was also a 4 year team captain... that's not something you see very often. Shows he has leadership as well.

If you're lucky K.O. will be your Steve Young.

But if you don't want him I'll bet that there are a lot of people in San Diego who'd love to have him back in town playing four the Chargers in a couple years...

We'll give you next year's #2 for him. ;)

I think we'll see some KO action in the preseason. Of course if we see KO starting in the regular season that means that something has happened to Tom Brady. So... hopefully KO's regular season debut won't be for at least a few more years.

Tom has AT LEAST five more years left. That'll outrun the length Kevin O'Connell's contract. The guy is going to be a backup, and that's that.

Last edited:
Great pick!

I've always been a big fan of Ron Wolf and, as someone mentioned before, it is great when a team has the luxury to groom back-ups and move them later on for draft picks. Cassel is the back up now, Gutz is third string I believe and O'Connell is going to fight it out. At worst, the Pats have a back up rather than a 5'8" corner, right?

A team that has missed winning the SB by 1 play twice should be in the getting better business not in the growing qb's business. Besides, we arent very good at it......Davey, Kingsbury,Cassel, Guitierrez, Bishop sound familiar? Ya, I know, 1 out of 6 isnt that bad if the one is TB. I think its going to our heads though....

Tom has AT LEAST five more years left. That'll outrun the length Kevin O'Connell's contract. The guy is going to be a backup, and that's that.

KO has got a ton of upside and athleticism. Instantly becomes the fastest QB on our roster. KO might outperform some QB's drafted ahead of him in this draft. The Pats obviously believed they were getting good value OR that Cassell wasn't going to cut it. Making sure you have a good young prospect with upside at the QB position is well worth it. Remember the year Brady was the 4th QB, and the Pats didn't cut him or try to get cute and send him to the practice squad? The move paid off, even though we had pro-bowler Bledsoe in front of him, didn't it?

The other way I think the Pats can get him involved is as the placeholder. KO could then be a versatile weapon for trick plays, because he can run for the first down with his feet, or be able to throw a pass equally.

Last edited:
Only Pats fans could look a gift horse in the mouth!

O'Connell the, "White Mike Vick?" No, he's bigger, stronger, and SMARTER. I've read (in more than one place) that K.O. had the highest Wonderlic score in the draft. Not among QB's - but in the whole draft! Michael Vick he is not. Vick threw a half season's worth of passes in his entire time in college, K.O. is a four year player who started 3 of those years (injuries kept him out a half season's worth), and played in a PASSING offense. He's thrown probably 10 times as many passes as Vick did.

But he IS nearly as mobile as Vick, so that comparison is fair.

But the best comparison really is Steve Young. K.O. is just taller and more athletic. Not a bad deal, eh? A guy who is equally good passing OR running.

But, again - if your GM wants to trade him next year I'd love to see him come home to San Diego (he IS a San Diego County native). Having him back up Rivers for a couple years before taking over would be just fine with me! :D

Remember the year Brady was the 4th QB, and the Pats didn't cut him or try to get cute and send him to the practice squad? The move paid off, even though we had pro-bowler Bledsoe in front of him, didn't it?

Right, I'm not arguing with you here that the kid doesn't have upside, I'm merely saying that he's a backup. Maybe he becomes a good backup, and that's a good thing to have, and certainly worth the investment of a late third on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes