Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is Katie Couric as dumb as Joe Biden?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Oct 2, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Being interviewed by Katie Couric on the "CBS Evening News," Biden said: "When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

For those of you who aren't hard-core history buffs, Biden not only named the wrong president during the 1929 stock market crash, he also claimed a president who wasn't president during the stock market crash went on TV before Americans had TVs.

Did Katie know Joe was wrong?
    If so, why no follow up question?

If she didn't know, is she qualified to be an anchor?

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

If those people are as dumb as you say,that makes you a Vegetable .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

He obviously was trying to talk about the fireside chats but got it muddled. Do you think Sarah Palin knows what the stock market is for?

4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

There are two sets of rules for interviewing candidates. Gottcha journalism for conservatives and softball followed by benefit of the doubt for liberals.

5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

If I am a vegetable, I am a beet !

Because I am sure, I could beet you into never never land.

:violent:

6. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Don't be too embarrsed when I tell you that the stock market crash of 1929 was not when he was president. It was an obvious f up and she let it go. No follow up, no gottcha. The double standard is crystal clear. It doesn't matter how smart you think Palin is or isn't.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +510 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Biden may be smarter than, say, Bush but no impartial person has ever mistaken him for an intellectual. He's a tough guy, a talker . . . a bully. But not an intellectual in any way.

8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

why would I be embarrassed? I said "he got it muddled," you should be embarrassed that you can't read.

Actually you should be embarrassed at the right wing scramble to put Biden's silly gaffes on the same level as Palin's cluelessness about everything in general. Wow, he messed up history, at least he reads newspapers and has a general understanding of the issues.

9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yeah whatever You want to believe.

10. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I agree with that but he at least has a general understanding of the issues.

11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I have to give credit where credit is do. That was pretty funny. :D Weather you could hammer me is another matter.

12. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Now now fellas, no need to resort to that alpha male stuff. Besides, I'd take you both on ;)

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

My Advice To Joe Jerko Biden On Tonights Debate

"DON'T SHOW UP JOE"

14. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

My reading was fine. I read you excusing the gaff about TV and fireside chats getting muddled. Fine, that would be valid if he was actually the president that was in office in 1929 so he could indeed give a fireside chat about it. Who should be embarassed now? I'm not subscribing to any "right wing scramble". I'm simply pointing out the double standard. Couric let it go. The MSM let it go. Palin is never afforded that luxury. Her gaffs get more legs than a centipede. You don't think the left wouldn't having a field day with that if it were Palin who had said that? It wouldn't be a "silly" gaff then. Please!

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

What are you talking about? I never said anything about him being in office in 1929. Obviously Biden was talking about FDR's fireside chats and mistakingly thought they took place in 1929. I'll say it again, "he got it muddled." Maybe this time you'll read it better.

I love how conservatives constantly accuse other people of whining when all they do is whine about the media. I've said countless times that his gaffes are on the same level as Bushisms, they are dumba nd fun to laugh at. But they don't reflect a total level of cluelessness like Palin's do. Even if you think Couric was out to get her, none of her questions were tough. SHE COULDN'T EVEN NAME A NEWSPAPER. Watching you rationalize this away is VERY amusing.

16. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

They are dumb, fun to laugh at and swept under the rug because he's a fellow liberal.. As far as Palin goes, I'm still up in the air on her. I think she's taking bad advice by trying to restrict her answers to talking points that are given her. I think she WOULDN'T name a newspaper, then circles round and round with talking points. She's been a deer in the headlights in interviews and that makes her come of pretty incompetent. Seriously though, do you really think she couldn't name newspapers?

Look it, I finally saw some video of her this morning from the gubernatorial debates back in 06. I also saw some round table discussions. These videos curiously(not really) have been kept under wraps until now. She did a more than credible job and in my opinion mopped the floor with her opponent. Even the MSNBC talking heads said that it would be a mistake to underestimate her and hoped Biden had learned a lesson from watching the same videos. They wondered as I did where that Palin had disappeared to. If she doesn't return to that form then it's over. Time will soon tell.

17. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

If you want to lampoon Biden or Couric, go for it. Just remember, you'll never make up ground lost by the Alaskan princess.
    To set the record straight on the stock market collapse. Hoover warned congress and anyone that would listen, that measures needed to be taken as a collapse was eminent. Too many people were buying on margin, etc, etc. Rooselvelt opposed any measures to regulate the market.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +530 / 6 / -2

Sheesh, 3 dudes fighting? Gross. Now, if we were talking a couple of hot chics, with big hooters, rolling around in a pool.....:D.

Oops, I think I just upset Wildo by mentioning hot, sultry, big breased women again! Doh!

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

this topic was covered over a week ago, ad nauseum....

booooooooooooooooooooring!!!...

20. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Funny thing Joe, is that you did a copy/paste with that above paragraph from Ann Coulter's article.

BIDEN SECRET SERVICE CODE NAME: 'ASSASSINATION INSURANCE' - Yahoo! News

Now, isn't Coulter the same history buff who kept insisting that Canada sent troops to Vietnam, during an interview?

The jist of what Biden said remains the same, it doesn't really matter who the President was at that time, because Biden was talking about leadership and credibility at a time of major crisis.

And if you want a man who made a career of pulling "facts and numbers" out of his arse, it was Reagan.
    But nobody ever called him on it, because the jist of what he was saying got through to the masses.

Palin, I have a feeling, will shatter all records on ignorance, and lack of common sense, by a candidate.

Any true Republican should be throughly embarrassed of what they have turned this party of self-reliant, hard working, God fearing, neighborly believers of the American Dream.