PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Julian Edelman Jewish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody gets it, thank you!

I get it too.

I can "get" I think where some of the animus comes from, but IMO it is pretty harmless. It is just something we do when we speculate about athletes who might be Jewish, as it is a pretty rare thing. Youkilis, Kotchman, Miller all rarities.

OY!!

Blatant ethnocentrism is a huge turn off to many people. I don't care if you or others show extreme preference to people in your race/religion, but keep it to yourself.

"ethnocentrism"?...........what planet are you from?.......If someone is proud of Lou Gherig because he's jewish or if someone like me is proud of Italian-American,sports' figures.I'm going to wear the number,fly the flag or anything else,i feel like doing.Including,on this board.

Do you also feel that Jackie Robinson's number should not have been retired by MLB?

..............PATHETIC!!!!!!!

I get it too.

I can "get" I think where some of the animus comes from, but IMO it is pretty harmless. It is just something we do when we speculate about athletes who might be Jewish, as it is a pretty rare thing. Youkilis, Kotchman, Miller all rarities.

OY!!

Wait, Kotchman is Jewish!?!?

Dan Wolfman(thats me) Loves to spin his dradle, and throw Maroney...under the table!

I can "get" I think where some of the animus comes from, but IMO it is pretty harmless.

Sure, there are few Jews in sports, and I appreciate Adam Sandler's song. But, in response to the other guy (not cheekydave) don't try to deny it's not ethnocentrism, because it is, and it definitely turns off a lot of people when it's completely blatant. Don't try to cite Jackie Robinson or Lou Gehrig, who were great players all people would appreciate or be fans of, the ethnocentrism is here in this case because you're all obsessing over a 7th round pick who likely isn't going to make the team... simply due to his "ethnicity" or "religion".

Last edited:
Sure, there are few Jews in sports, and I appreciate Adam Sandler's song. But, in response to the other guy (not cheekydave) don't try to deny it's not ethnocentrism, because it is, and it definitely turns off a lot of people when it's completely blatant. Don't try to cite Jackie Robinson or Lou Gehrig, who were great players all people would appreciate or be fans of, the ethnocentrism is here in this case because you're all obsessing over a 7th round pick who likely isn't going to make the team... simply due to his "ethnicity" or "religion".

Quick question...

Why is Gehrig even in this discussion? He was of German stock, he was not Jewish.

Ok back to the discussion...

Why is Gehrig even in this discussion?

I was responding to the psycho named 'italia', who brought Gehrig up in the first place.

Italia brings up players who people follow and cheer for because of their TALENT, not their race/ethnicity/religion, yet doesn't see why for a marginal player, the outright ethnocentrism is a turn off for people.

I know it's only lesser degrees, but imagine a more extreme case of people only voting for someone just because he is White, or Jewish, or whatever. As I said before, it's a big turn off when it's so blatant.

As someone who has a ton of Jewish friends that I watch football with, I am quite aware of the joy taken in endless rounds of speculation such as this (Sage Rosenfels?!?!? Is he or isn't he? Igor Olshansky?!!! YES OR NO!!)

Therefore, I am proud to report that I have, prior to this thread, ALREADY SUBMITTED a suggestion to the website "Jew or not Jew" and gotten a response. They are on the case. We shall know soon enough.

And to the people taking offense at this question c'mon guys... You've never seen Airplane?

Jew or Not Jew: Choosing the Chosen People

Julian Edelman, lights the menorah
Lawrence Maroney cant bust through a paper door'ah

I was responding to the psycho named 'italia', who brought Gehrig up in the first place.

Italia brings up players who people follow and cheer for because of their TALENT, not their race/ethnicity/religion, yet doesn't see why for a marginal player, the outright ethnocentrism is a turn off for people.

I know it's only lesser degrees, but imagine a more extreme case of people only voting for someone just because he is White, or Jewish, or whatever. As I said before, it's a big turn off when it's so blatant.

All good points, and surely your opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

I do think it is human nature. I know a hand full of Koreans, and we really had a common bond over MLB players such as Byung-Yung Kim( sp). I have friends in Aruba, who follow Ponson and Bam Bam Muelens( Curacao), and Andruw Jones, and of course Japanese friends who follow Dice K, Ichiro, Okajima,Matsui etc.

I actually like it when any "minority" as described in this instance as those who are numerically rare in any given sport, are followed and cheered on by others. It adds to the fanbase and diversity of the experience.

On a side note, white people are not a "minority" but in the NBA they are statistically. Lets be real, why do you think so many national fans rooted for the Celtics over the 76ers,Lakers, and Pistons.

Human Nature
:)

Last edited:
WARNING: Infractions have been given on this thread. Calm down and if you don't like the premise of the thread- DON"T POST.

Thank you.

The bottom line of this thread should be that Brady is representing for all of us Irish in here (and that includes me). We drink beer, play football, and get into fist fights with our best friends. That's the Irish culture for ya. :D

The bottom line of this thread should be that Brady is representing for all of us Irish in here (and that includes me). We drink beer, play football, and get into fist fights with our best friends. That's the Irish culture for ya. :D

I thought that was Maroney.

Fist fights with our best freinds? Obviously you've never encountered my family.

Those are the fights we lay bets on.

Fist fights with our best freinds? Obviously you've never encountered my family.

Those are the fights we lay bets on.

LOL, I don't need to. My father and I have actually come to blows on several occasions before (with me getting my ass kicked of course) and then hugged and made up for it literally five minutes afterward. I'm Irish just like yourself. Believe me, I know how it goes.

It's saddening how much ignorance there is in this board. I remember a year or so ago somebody being Jewish was brought up and the same thing happened. It's quite pathetic how some of the gentile world thinks, honestly.

First of all, the only jersey I currently wear is my authentic Willie jersey, because he was by far my favorite Patriot of all time (which is why I selected my nickname on here). Second of all, I never bought a Josh Miller jersey because he was Jewish, neither do I own a Youk shirt because he is a fellow Jew. Third, I never brought up anybody elses nationality, speaking of which, last time I checked Judaism was a religion, not a nationality. Something tells me you need to get a little more cultured.

When I said I was going out and buying his jersey tomorrow if he is in fact Jewish, I wasn't being totally serious. I was just excited at the possibility that there could be a halfway decent skilled position Jew on the Pats. The way some of you people think make me feel ashamed to be in the same "Patriot Nation" as you.

No love for Andre Tippet?

Oh, I'm stereotyping. Sorry.:(

Fun? Just having fun?

I scrolled through pretty quickly but I didn't see Andre Tippett's name mentioned.

"Andre Tippett is a former Baptist, and a convert to Judaism."

Andre Tippett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You missed my post, sir. Asked Pat 55 why no love for the great Tippet at LB in addition to the very worthy Willie McGinest.

*oops, guess you preceded. Didn't read that far*

By the way, I don't know if Willie has any Irish roots, but i sure got a big laugh out of Professor Gates and Officer Crowley both being descended form Niall of the nine hostages, progenitor of the great O'Neill royal dynasty.

Harvard Professor Gates Is Half-Irish, Related to Cop Who Arrested Him - ABC News

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey